Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who thinks this next Covid Relief bill is being handled well?
seriously,  I dont care what party you think makes the sun come up and set every day.  Covid relief checks for prisoners and illegals?  Even if you dont care that the illegals are here against the laws of this country... how is it defendable to give money that is designated to help those hurt by the fall out of the virus and to stimulate the economy to those that live and breath 100% on the tax payer tit,  and are in no position to use that money themselves to stimulate the economy.   Where is the fucking logic in this dumbassery?

Sen. Bill Cassidy (R-LA) offered an amendment that would have prevented "any individual who is incarcerated in a federal or state prison" from receiving a stimulus check. In the CARES Act, prisoners received $1,200 COVID relief checks. 
“Prisoners do not pay taxes. Taxpayers pay for their every need. Inmates cannot stimulate the economy. But, under this bill they receive stimulus checks. This is a perfect example of nontargeted, inappropriate, and total waste of spending. It’s ridiculous that this is in the bill," Cassidy said in a statement.
Democrats voted against the amendment.

Not adopted, 49-50: Cassidy Amendment #1162 (re: no checks for prisoners) in relation to H.R.1319, FY2021 Budget Reconciliation.

I don't know an issue with undocumented workers receiving relief because of their contributions to the economy. They are doing work that other people won't and their kids need to eat. 

Well, its obviously ridiculous that prisoners would get stimulus checks. Undocumented workers are probably a little different: yes, they don't pay taxes but they do live here and would 'stimulate' the economy with their checks. The amount of fraud that goes on with these stimulus checks is staggering and then what some people actually use that money for can be maddening. I don't know what the answer is but there's definitely waste that happens in any kind of program like this. 

It's not out of question the stim going to incarcerated may eventually be going to their needy families?

I agree on face value it doesnt feel right. But then so much doesnt any more. 

This one feels like about a 3 on the 10 scale of egregious to me. 

I really hate when people post stuff without even applying basic common sense.
Lets walk this through:
  1. Everyone that is paid legally in the US pays federal taxes else the employer is committing a crime. Even prisoners. This is from HR Block. It is non political. So Bill Cassidy is wrong and the democrats are correct (and you blindly bought the nonsense)
  2. Undocumented worker is a complex issue and not as simple as it looks.
    1. Someone who never registered in the system is undocumented
    2. Someone who was documented and gave up is now undocumented
    3. Someone who was documented and missed an immigrated process deadline for whatever reason is undocumented until the status is re-instated or you an proof you are working towards it. There are three categories in immigration (you have a status, working towards a status or undocumented). A missed deadline puts you in no mans land and its leverage immigration uses so people follow deadlines. UCIS does not care who's fault it is when a deadline is missed (see my other post about what can be done to improve the situation)
    4. 2 and 3 above would have paid taxes while working. The republicans always focus on the blue as if that is the only way someone can be undocumented
Lastly, I don't even know how accurate the statement is that Biden wants to give illegals a stimulus check. Here is the question... The stimulus is disbursed by IRS using last year's filing (I assume for all cases). They use direct deposit (for those with direct deposit) or mail for those who don't have direct deposit. So how would the IRS have an address of of an illegal who has never worked in the US or undocumented? See how stupid this sounds when you apply common sense?

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Well, its obviously ridiculous that prisoners would get stimulus checks. Undocumented workers are probably a little different: yes, they don't pay taxes but they do live here and would 'stimulate' the economy with their checks. The amount of fraud that goes on with these stimulus checks is staggering and then what some people actually use that money for can be maddening. I don't know what the answer is but there's definitely waste that happens in any kind of program like this. 
They pay sales tax. A larger part of their income goes to sales tax. There is also the Individual Taxpayer Identification number. This a tax number only available for certain nonresident and resident aliens, their spouses, and dependents who cannot get a Social Security Number. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
I don't know an issue with undocumented workers receiving relief because of their contributions to the economy. They are doing work that other people won't and their kids need to eat. 
I would think most of the work that they do has been deemed as "essential" (picking fruits and veggies, milking cows,  working in packing houses..ets ) so I dont think their incomes have been eliminated as a result of covid shut downs.  I wont argue that they arent an important cog in our economy,  but the fact remains that they are here illegally and as such should not be getting free anything.   if they want to be here they should have work visas and be accounted for as such.  I have often wondered how many of these illegals have taxes taken from their wages that are never sent into the Govt?

I see by your link that inmates got paid in the previous rounds as well... .how fucked is that?  My son didnt get his money last year ( he was able to claim it as part of his taxes this spring,  but when he was out of work and on his own he fell into a loophole that prevented him from getting his share as he was a full time student in 19 and was claimed by us as a dependent,  but was on his own last year so we couldnt claim him on his behalf and give him the money.... but fucking prisoners got it.   and we wonder why our country is trillions in debt with no clue as to how get unfucked...  Lets keep voting for the same idiots year in and year out and see if they can change their ways.... we have nobody to blame but ourselves for the mess that we allow to happen to this country.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
It's not out of question the stim going to incarcerated may eventually be going to their needy families?

I agree on face value it doesnt feel right. But then so much doesnt any more. 

This one feels like about a 3 on the 10 scale of egregious to me. 
theres an old saying,  if you take care of the nickels and dimes,  the dollars will be fine.   over looking things because they arent as bad as something else is exactly why this country is trillions in debt with no hope of turning it around let alone ever paying it off.   over looking this shit is why we have this problem,  we have been overlooking pretty much everything for decades and wonder why nothing is improving.  

Jimmy,

We have ourselves and the system to blame...Look at our last two election choices:

Clinton vs Trump
Trump vs Biden

Now I think Biden is about what the country needs to try and heal some, but overall? Over the last 8 years? All I can say is ugh...