Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face Masks...
Quote: @greediron said:
I notice these are all huge corporations with lobbyists and likely did very well while small businesses went bankrupt.

I see Jimmy blaming the media, you using the term scare tactics ... yet not a bit of criticism at the disaster created by the WH administration who offered no plan, no help, called it a hoax so red hat lemmings didn’t take the threat very serious and here we are.

This thread was as predictable as I thought it would be, the usual suspects didn’t disappoint.

Quote: @SFVikeFan said:
@greediron said:
I notice these are all huge corporations with lobbyists and likely did very well while small businesses went bankrupt.

I see Jimmy blaming the media, you using the term scare tactics ... yet not a bit of criticism at the disaster created by the WH administration who offered no plan, no help, called it a hoax so red hat lemmings didn’t take the threat very serious and here we are.

This thread was as predictable as I thought it would be, the usual suspects didn’t disappoint.
https://twitter.com/chadloder/status/128...05633?s=20

That's some damn bad Karma there.

Priceless response; Mask it or Casket  :p

I think we're about a week a way from mandatory here in MN.

Screw-it, I'm going to be a Boogaloo...

When the poop started hitting the fan in March, council was not to wear masks.

That was before science knew how  easily Covid spreads (without mitigation efforts each covid infected affects an avg of 2-3 people, making Covid 2x as contagious as the flu), how it's spread by those asymptomatic, how long the incubation period was and how carriers may be most contagious 48 hours before they become symptomatic.

Add to this the fact that the country's stock-pile of masks were severely depleted at that time and the few N95's around needed to go to health care workers.
  • An estimated 230,000 to 450,000 Covid-19 cases were prevented in the states that enacted requirements for mask use between April 8 and May 15, researchers from the University of Iowa found. 
  • The IHME projected a total of 179,106 US deaths from Covid-19 by October 1. But the number of expected deaths drops by ‭33,059‬ -- down to 146,047 -- if 95% of Americans would wear masks in public, the researchers said. That # of drops (33k or so) is in line with the # of deaths potentially traced to flu in 2019. 
  • "People need to know that wearing masks can reduce transmission of the virus by as much as 50%, and those who refuse are putting their lives, their families, their friends, and their communities at risk," said Dr. Christopher Murray, director of the Institute for Health Metrics and Evaluation.

Quote: @greediron said:
@mblack said:
@greediron said:
I have less trust of people with masks because I have observed most wearers exhibiting dangerous behaviors, such as touching their mask repeatedly, including touching the inside of the mask with their finger to pull it down, and then touching other surfaces. 

I would rather have them healthy and not touching a snot rag constantly.
Maybe you should educate them. Just a crazy thought

working on it.  See the post above about the NE Journal of Med stating masks don't protect against the virus. "the desire for
widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic."
That was written almost 4 months ago and has since been updated by its own writers....

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4
We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.

context is incovient, on the Coronavirus thread some numbnut posted a 40 second snippet of a 40 minute lecture by dr Ngozi Ezike as proof of overcounting.  Overlooking the fact she has refuted the overcounting myth, facebook scientists will be the death of us all.

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
context is incovient, on the Coronavirus thread some numbnut posted a 40 second snippet of a 40 minute lecture by dr Ngozi Ezike as proof of overcounting.  Overlooking the fact she has refuted the overcounting myth, facebook scientists will be the death of us all.
Name calling of other posters is not permitted.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@mblack said:
@greediron said:
I have less trust of people with masks because I have observed most wearers exhibiting dangerous behaviors, such as touching their mask repeatedly, including touching the inside of the mask with their finger to pull it down, and then touching other surfaces. 

working on it.  See the post above about the NE Journal of Med stating masks don't protect against the virus. "the desire for
That was written almost 4 months ago and has since been updated by its own writers....

We understand that some people are citing our Perspective article (published on April 1 at NEJM.org)1 as support for discrediting widespread masking. In truth, the intent of our article was to push for more masking, not less. It is apparent that many people with SARS-CoV-2 infection are asymptomatic or presymptomatic yet highly contagious and that these people account for a substantial fraction of all transmissions.2,3 Universal masking helps to prevent such people from spreading virus-laden secretions, whether they recognize that they are infected or not.4
We did state in the article that “wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers little, if any, protection from infection,” but as the rest of the paragraph makes clear, we intended this statement to apply to passing encounters in public spaces, not sustained interactions within closed environments. A growing body of research shows that the risk of SARS-CoV-2 transmission is strongly correlated with the duration and intensity of contact: the risk of transmission among household members can be as high as 40%, whereas the risk of transmission from less intense and less sustained encounters is below 5%.5-7 This finding is also borne out by recent research associating mask wearing with less transmission of SARS-CoV-2, particularly in closed settings.8 We therefore strongly support the calls of public health agencies for all people to wear masks when circumstances compel them to be within 6 ft of others for sustained periods.
At this point, its ridiculous of anyone to think that wearing masks doesn't help the situation. Its all about SUSTAINED INTERACTIONS IN CLOSE QUARTERS. That's the issue, how it gets spread. And where masks should be worn. If you are outside walking around in space you don't need a mask. I mean, c'mon now isn't it obvious and common sense? When I see a few posters stubbornly try and downplay the importance of wearing masks its because its politicized for them. And you know who you are in this forum that are still doing this, smh. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@mblack said:
@greediron said:

At this point, its ridiculous of anyone to think that wearing masks doesn't help the situation. Its all about SUSTAINED INTERACTIONS IN CLOSE QUARTERS. That's the issue, how it gets spread. And where masks should be worn. If you are outside walking around in space you don't need a mask. I mean, c'mon now isn't it obvious and common sense? When I see a few posters stubbornly try and downplay the importance of wearing masks its because its politicized for them. And you know who you are in this forum that are still doing this, smh. 
Wearing a mask requires so little.  Wearing a mask shows empathy and concern for not just yourself but others.  It’s amazing that there is a significant portion of the population that calls this “Tyranny”

All this bitching about the tyranny of masks, yet no bitching about federal goons throwing people in detention for exercising their 1st amendment. 

The cognitive dissonance is appalling, dangerous, and disgusting.

”I will not comply. . . “ well I will not pay for your health care costs

Quote: @Skodin said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@greediron said:
@mblack said:
@greediron said:

Wearing a mask shows empathy and concern for not just yourself but others.  
Empathy is what separates all of us on so many issues.