Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Face Masks...
How in the heck did they become partisan?

You think they should be mandatory or not?
Would it even make a difference in individuals behaviors?

In MN we may be on the precipice of a mandatory face-mask ordinance. We already have one where I work.

I think states have to think through it carefully. For example here in the northland, what you do in Hennepin/Ramsey and bigger population urban counties should be different than outlying areas.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

In MN we may be on the precipice of a mandatory face-mask ordinance. We already have one where I work.

I think states have to think through it carefully. For example here in the northland, what you do in Hennepin/Ramsey and bigger population urban counties should be different than outlying areas.
ask the media that made a major issue about certain people not wearing them,  and completely ignored the hypocrisy of those they put up as role models or examples.   Trump doesnt wear a mask its beat to fucking death,  Fauci stands around after the press conference talking to people without his mask on and nobody says a word.   Plenty of examples of the media making shit out to be divisive by trying to ignore the failures of one party while crucifying the other.

couple that with the fucked up information we've been fed on this thing from day one and the over all mistrust of the media by US citizens ( about 60% of Americans dont trust the mainstream media) ... I wonder how it becomes partisan?

When the media was skewering trump and then making big deals about pelosi doing an interview with her mask on from her home in quarantine... who wears them in their own home except for to make a statement?

Personally,  if you want me to wear one in your business,  or your house,  that is perfectly fine and should be respected,  but I dont think they are nearly as effective as they are made out to be,  especially when they are not  worn properly by most that are wearing them.

If I was in a more Urban setting I would likely be more apt to wear one,  but as I have little contact on most days I rarely wear one.

I dont like those that get all pissy about being told to put one on or get out.  those people need their heads cracked,  just like those that try and get in peoples faces for not wearing them where they arent required.   IMO its a matter of you do you and let everybody else do themselves.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

ask the media that made a major issue about certain people not wearing them,  and completely ignored the hypocrisy of those they put up as role models or examples.   Trump doesnt wear a mask its beat to fucking death,  Fauci stands around after the press conference talking to people without his mask on and nobody says a word.   Plenty of examples of the media making shit out to be divisive by trying to ignore the failures of one party while crucifying the other.

couple that with the fucked up information we've been fed on this thing from day one and the over all mistrust of the media by US citizens ( about 60% of Americans dont trust the mainstream media) ... I wonder how it becomes partisan?

When the media was skewering trump and then making big deals about pelosi doing an interview with her mask on from her home in quarantine... who wears them in their own home except for to make a statement?

Personally,  if you want me to wear one in your business,  or your house,  that is perfectly fine and should be respected,  but I dont think they are nearly as effective as they are made out to be,  especially when they are not  worn properly by most that are wearing them.

If I was in a more Urban setting I would likely be more apt to wear one,  but as I have little contact on most days I rarely wear one.

I dont like those that get all pissy about being told to put one on or get out.  those people need their heads cracked,  just like those that try and get in peoples faces for not wearing them where they arent required.   IMO its a matter of you do you and let everybody else do themselves.

Another (important) element to me is how much do your care (or not) about those around you?

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Another (important) element to me is how much do your care (or not) about those around you?

or how much you are convinced that mask actually does... like I said,  I am not convinced they are really doing as much as some want us to believe.  I think they are more of a feel good thing,  but if you or anybody else wants to wear one,  I sure as hell wont mock you for it,  just as if you asked me to wear one to come into your home or business,  its a matter of respect to oblige and not be pissy about it.  I carry them with me most places I go,  but I rarely wear them myself... but i also think social distancing is more important than the masks and have done a pretty good job of avoiding crowds for the past 5 months... but that is easy for me to do most the time because i hate crowds.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

or how much you are convinced that mask actually does... like I said,  I am not convinced they are really doing as much as some want us to believe.  I think they are more of a feel good thing,  but if you or anybody else wants to wear one,  I sure as hell wont mock you for it,  just as if you asked me to wear one to come into your home or business,  its a matter of respect to oblige and not be pissy about it.  I carry them with me most places I go,  but I rarely wear them myself... but i also think social distancing is more important than the masks and have done a pretty good job of avoiding crowds for the past 5 months... but that is easy for me to do most the time because i hate crowds.
Your critters on the farm are probably hoping you get out more too lol!  :p

@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Your critters on the farm are probably hoping you get out more too lol!  :p
dolly keeps asking when you are coming back for a visit,  I think you made an impression on her.

actually we are looking at selling all the livestock and renting out all the pasture and crop land.   more free time for hunting and shit like that.

I think that there are 2 forces at play here.  One, some people don't like being told to do- no matter who says it... or how much good it will do them.  This is ESPECIALLY true when it is the gov't.  The second issue is the back-and-forth that has been coming from various "experts" as to whether they work... or are (potentially) even more harmful (to one's self).  I recently had this discussion with my wife, who said, "experts are saying...", to which I said, "which experts?"  The truth is: there are "experts" who will make completely contradictory statements (not only contradicting each other, but- sometimes-even their own previous statements).  When you combine that, with a complete lack of trust in the media (and a completely unhealthy reliance on social media for "news/facts")... this is what you get.  

Some people prefer science over scare tactics.
from the New England Journal of Medicinehttps://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMp2006372
Quote:We know that wearing a mask outside health care facilities offers
little, if any, protection from infection. Public health authorities
define a significant exposure to Covid-19 as face-to-face contact within
6 feet with a patient with symptomatic Covid-19 that is sustained for
at least a few minutes (and some say more than 10 minutes or even 30
minutes). The chance of catching Covid-19 from a passing interaction in a
public space is therefore minimal. In many cases, the desire for
widespread masking is a reflexive reaction to anxiety over the pandemic.

I have less trust of people with masks because I have observed most wearers exhibiting dangerous behaviors, such as touching their mask repeatedly, including touching the inside of the mask with their finger to pull it down, and then touching other surfaces. 

I would rather have them healthy and not touching a snot rag constantly.

Quote: @"greediron" said:
I have less trust of people with masks because I have observed most wearers exhibiting dangerous behaviors, such as touching their mask repeatedly, including touching the inside of the mask with their finger to pull it down, and then touching other surfaces. 

I would rather have them healthy and not touching a snot rag constantly.
i actually saw a guy this weekend pull his mask down and sneeze and then put his mask back up.....  i guess it would be pretty gross to walk around with a dirty kleenex on your face all day.