Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Saints message board
Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
The Bountygate situation in that NFCCG in 2009 was something that the Vikings could have corrected and ended immediately.
The first time a defensive lineman put a cheap shot on Favre, the two biggest dudes on the field, McKinnie & Loadholt (and the rest of the OL) should have pummeled the defender.  Yeah they would have gotten the 15 yard penalty but the refs would then been more aware because they would not want the game to get out of control.
Also, they should have high lowed any defensive lineman the very next play to let them know if they tried anything else their knees would be the targets the rest of the game.  Defensive linemen are funny about their knees and do not like to get hit in them.
I watched Favre get hit and saw those linemen just standing around.  You think Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Conrad Dobler, Mick Tinglehoff, etc. would have just stood around watching their QB get up?  Heck no!
I never complain about Bountygate because I blame the Vikings offensive line for letting that crap go unchecked.
But I am old school.
What makes you think that the OL would've known what was going on during the game?  They were busy- facing the other way- trying to block a defender.  

Ok so now I'm confused???
Which is it everbody did it or it never happened???
Bountygate is a new word for a reason. You got caught...haha.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
The Bountygate situation in that NFCCG in 2009 was something that the Vikings could have corrected and ended immediately.
The first time a defensive lineman put a cheap shot on Favre, the two biggest dudes on the field, McKinnie & Loadholt (and the rest of the OL) should have pummeled the defender.  Yeah they would have gotten the 15 yard penalty but the refs would then been more aware because they would not want the game to get out of control.
Also, they should have high lowed any defensive lineman the very next play to let them know if they tried anything else their knees would be the targets the rest of the game.  Defensive linemen are funny about their knees and do not like to get hit in them.
I watched Favre get hit and saw those linemen just standing around.  You think Art Shell, Gene Upshaw, Conrad Dobler, Mick Tinglehoff, etc. would have just stood around watching their QB get up?  Heck no!
I never complain about Bountygate because I blame the Vikings offensive line for letting that crap go unchecked.
But I am old school.
What makes you think that the OL would've known what was going on during the game?  They were busy- facing the other way- trying to block a defender.  
I take issue with any OL that gets beat and doesnt help his QB up,  unless its a DB QB like rodgers and then I completely undertand.  honestly those guys knew Favre was getting his ass kicked back there and really should have been more reactive in their defense of their QB.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
I take issue with any OL that gets beat and doesnt help his QB up,  unless its a DB QB like rodgers and then I completely undertand.  honestly those guys knew Favre was getting his ass kicked back there and really should have been more reactive in their defense of their QB.
The leader of our line was Mount McPile.  He was likely already planning his superbowl strippers.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
The leader of our line was Mount McPile.  He was likely already planning his superbowl strippers.
i would think Hutchinson would have been the leader of that unit, Sully and Load were there as well although early in their careers... but yeah, I never really expected much out of mckinney.

@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
I do, too.  I'm just wondering if they even knew what was happening behind them.  In the midst of such an important game, I can't imagine my OL coach telling me to watch what's happening to the QB... and get revenge on anyone who hits the QB late.

@JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
I do, too.  I'm just wondering if they even knew what was happening behind them.  In the midst of such an important game, I can't imagine my OL coach telling me to watch what's happening to the QB... and get revenge on anyone who hits the QB late.
I dont know how they couldnt have known.  somebody had to have seen him picking his ass up every other pass attempt,  and the coaches sure as hell should have been on the lines ass to stay with their blocks well past the whistle.

I guess the thing that I put on the coaching staff as well as players was, they did the same thing to Kurt Warner the week before. They beat the crap out of him. It was the only way they could beat a veteran QB. They had to see it on tape and be watching for it. 

@pumpf said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
I dont know how they couldnt have known.  somebody had to have seen him picking his ass up every other pass attempt,  and the coaches sure as hell should have been on the lines ass to stay with their blocks well past the whistle.
But none of that would assume cheap shots; it just means that we need to hold our blocks a little longer so that our QB isn't being hit as he releases the ball (as opposed to 2 seconds after he released the ball- as was the case in 2009).  In other words, unless someone specifically told the OL that Favre was on the ground because the Saints were taking late cheap shots at him, how would they know that it was happening?  All they'd know is that they didn't do their jobs well enough.  Unless someone told them differently- which I'm not sure anyone did.  
When I played, I couldn't have told you what was happening behind me- because my focus was on the guy(s) in front of me.  Only once did a coach tell me that the defense was doing something they shouldn't have been doing... and that I should do something about it.  For what it's worth, I did.

@JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@pumpf said:
@MarkSP18 said:
But I am old school.
But none of that would assume cheap shots; it just means that we need to hold our blocks a little longer so that our QB isn't being hit as he releases the ball (as opposed to 2 seconds after he released the ball- as was the case in 2009).  In other words, unless someone specifically told the OL that Favre was on the ground because the Saints were taking late cheap shots at him, how would they know that it was happening?  All they'd know is that they didn't do their jobs well enough.  Unless someone told them differently- which I'm not sure anyone did.  
When I played, I couldn't have told you what was happening behind me- because my focus was on the guy(s) in front of me.  Only once did a coach tell me that the defense was doing something they shouldn't have been doing... and that I should do something about it.  For what it's worth, I did.
I am talking about them not helping him up....  they damn well knew he  was on the ground,  and every OLman that gets beat and allows his QB to get pounded should be aware of that fact and be there to say my bad,  wont happen again.