Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So....is the team missing Anthony Barr?
Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
the only thing that makes me think maybe let Waynes walk would be Hills development.  With Rhodes locked down for a few more years and Hughes looking like the real deal,  if Hill could fill that out Waynes role and we could draft another cheap developmental corner,  that would free up a lot of space right there as well.  lots of directions this team could go after this year.
I have been thinking maybe that Rhodes might be a tradeable commodity.  I mean I like Rhodes and everything but his is older but still would fetch alot in trade.  You’re right they can’t keep everyone.  I woukd have never thought such a thing last season but he has not played as well this year.  
Have fun defending that position,  I made that claim all summer and pretty much got roasted each time I brought it up.
I’m sure.  But Waynes has taken another step and then Hughes and Hill have both shined. i probably argued with you over the summer.
One thing,  in defense of Rhodes play,  all pass coverage has slipped this year with the league pushing the officials to be tougher on defensive holding and illegal contact.  These defenders have had to make a major adjustment on how they can cover receivers and affect routes,  it didnt get the talk that the roughing the passer change did but imo it's been a huge part of the increased scoring league wide and is particularly tough for the bigger bodied corners that would often casually bump receiver off their routes.   No corners are playing up to past perfromance IMO.
FWIW...Many of the 10 were coverage sacks

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"SFVikeFan" said:
@"SFVikingFan" said:
I'm on the fence regarding Barr.  I love his athleticism, but don't like how he seems to completely disappear for long stretches at a time.  And honestly, I don't think it was the worst thing in the world to have him sit out a couple of games this year.  What better way to really give the coaches and the GM a good look at how this defense would function without him?

Barr has been completely invisible in 2018 let's be honest.  
You must have missed the Rams game?  I saw Barr 5-10 yards behind whoever he was supposed to cover all game. 
To me that's more on Zimmer and Edwards than Barr. That game was imo the one where Zimmer had to go back to the drawing-board and say "we're getting carved-up schematically" time to change things - a lot. 

I guess I don't see the choice as signing Barr or an elite OL next year. I see the choice as signing Barr or Richardson or Waynes. 

I think FSU is spot on as to how the role of LB has evolved in a short time in the NFL and I've been preaching from the same hymnal as MB - Barr is much more valuable to a 3/4 team than here. 

Big off-season coming-up. But I'm focused on a big show-down with Bears first lol! 
I was being a smart ass. But Barr can suck it. Of the 3 Richardson is probably the best piece but he's no where near what the good DTs are doing now days.  He's average at best.  I also really really like Waynes on the outside.  I think he is an up and coming probowl corner. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Purplewhizz" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
the only thing that makes me think maybe let Waynes walk would be Hills development.  With Rhodes locked down for a few more years and Hughes looking like the real deal,  if Hill could fill that out Waynes role and we could draft another cheap developmental corner,  that would free up a lot of space right there as well.  lots of directions this team could go after this year.
I have been thinking maybe that Rhodes might be a tradeable commodity.  I mean I like Rhodes and everything but his is older but still would fetch alot in trade.  You’re right they can’t keep everyone.  I woukd have never thought such a thing last season but he has not played as well this year.  
Have fun defending that position,  I made that claim all summer and pretty much got roasted each time I brought it up.
I’m sure.  But Waynes has taken another step and then Hughes and Hill have both shined. i probably argued with you over the summer.
One thing,  in defense of Rhodes play,  all pass coverage has slipped this year with the league pushing the officials to be tougher on defensive holding and illegal contact.  These defenders have had to make a major adjustment on how they can cover receivers and affect routes,  it didnt get the talk that the roughing the passer change did but imo it's been a huge part of the increased scoring league wide and is particularly tough for the bigger bodied corners that would often casually bump receiver off their routes.   No corners are playing up to past perfromance IMO.
Yes, and yet our D is adjusting and limiting some pretty good offenses.  Imagine if we didn't have Rhodes for a season.