Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A gross loss to Philly and apathy will kick in...
Quote: @"njvike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
My concern is if they lose this week and drop to 1-3-1 it takes a 2 game win streak just to get back to .500. That would mean 4 weeks without a win. Counting a tie.
I know it's early still but the NFL has so few games. They lose this week and the earliest they can get past .500 is mid season. They are using up all their margin for error early. Without correcting their errors even marginally. 
Sobering, simple math of the day:

1-3-1 means they have to go 9/2 the rest of the way to get to 10-5-1. They better get their shit together in a hurry. 

9 wins might sneak into the playoffs, but NFC looks mighty good and the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal.

@ NE, @ Sea, @ Jets, @ Det, @ Chi.

Yup, they better get their shit together fast.  

To me, what's even more sobering is the simple, irrefutable fact of the Vikings grand total of 2 playoff wins since Saint Richard has blessed us poor, unlucky and unloved Vikings fans with his mere presence (13 seasons).

Just to put that pathetic TOTAL PLAYOFF WIN record in perspective, the Coughlin Jacksonville Jaguars EQUALED that 2 win total in a span of 8 DAYS in January, 2018. 
The legendary Rex Ryan/Mark Sanchez duo DOUBLED that total with FOUR PLAYOFF WINS over the course of 2 seasons, ALL of those victories on the road. Aaron Rodgers and GB also DOUBLED that total in ONE postseason on the way to a SB VICTORY (and they had, I believe, 9 STARTERS on IR)

But, yeah, let's put the spotlight on the 3rd HC under Schpielman's watch. 

You know what's REALLY sobering? The fact that since L'il Ricky has taken control of ALL scouting and player personnel in 2006, the Vikings have had more home stadiums than Playoff Wins!! LMAO!!! 
Zimmer is the one under immediate pressure if this season goes down the toilet. If his team puts up more games like Buffalo (or Indianapolis in 2016 or last year's NFCC) where they don't show up, he really seems like a defensive coordinator wishing he could be a head coach. If he cannot adjust his defense, in which so much has been invested, to deal with recent offensive innovation, he might not even be a good DC any more. I think it's still early in this season to assume either, but it's definitely a big worry.

To your point, though: IF this season does collapse and Zimmer is fired, I would be incredibly unhappy if Spielman remained as GM. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked, because the Wilfs seem to trust him completely. NJ is accurate that many failed gambits by Spielman (Ponder, Patterson, Bradford, underdrafting for the OL) have not seemed to stick to him. I don't know if any other GM has survived firing 2 head coaches without playoff success, let alone 3.

Last time we had a 9 game win streak if I'm not mistaken... was under the guiding arm-attached-to-an-a**hole - George.  It's possible for a team to come together yet. Watch for fun, passion for fun, football is awesome but not life.

Seasons are often divided among 4 quarters or even 2 halves. And how we play in one seldom resembles the other. I fully expect us to be legit competitors for the playoffs, whether we win tomorrow or not. 

Another loss will just make the playoff race that much harder. Apathy? Maybe a few of us forum folk. Certainly not the team or the folks who go to games, and that's probably all that matters. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"njvike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:
My concern is if they lose this week and drop to 1-3-1 it takes a 2 game win streak just to get back to .500. That would mean 4 weeks without a win. Counting a tie.
I know it's early still but the NFL has so few games. They lose this week and the earliest they can get past .500 is mid season. They are using up all their margin for error early. Without correcting their errors even marginally. 

1-3-1 means they have to go 9/2 the rest of the way to get to 10-5-1. They better get their shit together in a hurry. 

9 wins might sneak into the playoffs, but NFC looks mighty good and the rest of the schedule looks pretty brutal.

To me, what's even more sobering is the simple, irrefutable fact of the Vikings grand total of 2 playoff wins since Saint Richard has blessed us poor, unlucky and unloved Vikings fans with his mere presence (13 seasons).

Just to put that pathetic TOTAL PLAYOFF WIN record in perspective, the Coughlin Jacksonville Jaguars EQUALED that 2 win total in a span of 8 DAYS in January, 2018. 
The legendary Rex Ryan/Mark Sanchez duo DOUBLED that total with FOUR PLAYOFF WINS over the course of 2 seasons, ALL of those victories on the road. Aaron Rodgers and GB also DOUBLED that total in ONE postseason on the way to a SB VICTORY (and they had, I believe, 9 STARTERS on IR)

You know what's REALLY sobering? The fact that since L'il Ricky has taken control of ALL scouting and player personnel in 2006, the Vikings have had more home stadiums than Playoff Wins!! LMAO!!! 
Zimmer is the one under immediate pressure if this season goes down the toilet. If his team puts up more games like Buffalo (or Indianapolis in 2016 or last year's NFCC) where they don't show up, he really seems like a defensive coordinator wishing he could be a head coach. If he cannot adjust his defense, in which so much has been invested, to deal with recent offensive innovation, he might not even be a good DC any more. I think it's still early in this season to assume either, but it's definitely a big worry.

To your point, though: IF this season does collapse and Zimmer is fired, I would be incredibly unhappy if Spielman remained as GM. Unfortunately, I wouldn't be shocked, because the Wilfs seem to trust him completely. NJ is accurate that many failed gambits by Spielman (Ponder, Patterson, Bradford, underdrafting for the OL) have not seemed to stick to him. I don't know if any other GM has survived firing 2 head coaches without playoff success, let alone 3.

we’ve been outcoached and outplayed in that order.  Spielly has effed up some important picks, theres no denying that. on paper we are top 3 in the league in talent. hard to blame failure on the front office.  Everything i have read and heard from unbiased sources is that Spielly is a very well respected GM. He is the least of our problems over the last several years

Quote: @"Bullazin" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
@"njvike" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"suncoastvike" said:

we’ve been outcoached and outplayed in that order.  Spielly has effed up some important picks, theres no denying that. on paper we are top 3 in the league in talent. hard to blame failure on the front office.  Everything i have read and heard from unbiased sources is that Spielly is a very well respected GM. He is the least of our problems over the last several years
I'm not  Spielman fan but you are right. He is respected. If fired he would have a GM job that year. Would Zimmer be a HC elsewhere? I think he has done well to continue to bring in talent. I thought we did have one of the most talented rosters in the league. Not on the Oline but team wise. Coaches are the ones who are supposed to get teams ready. Be the leaders the gets troop morale up. Zimmer has kinda wilted in years of extreme adversity. When the team is high and clicking he gets credit. When low and underachieving he should get blame. This is not a talent issue. We should have more then enough talent even on a off day to get better results then that home Buffalo loss.