Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Exploring one NFL exec’s claim that Kirk Cousins is ‘not a finisher’
Quote: @HappyViking said:
Last off season the Vikings signed a backup QB scrub for nearly league minimum by the name of Case Keenum.  Once he was forced to start, everyone waited and waited for him to fail (myself included).  But he didn't.  The supporting cast around him along with his work ethic and excellent coaching staff made him not only sucessful, but a very weathly FA QB this off season.

If Case can turn his career around and flourish with this Vikings offense, I have no reason to believe that Kirk can't do the same.  As a matter of fact, I think we all expect Kirk to exceed the great play of Case's 2017 season. 

Look at the scrub backup that became the SB MVP.  Experts also kept waiting for Foles to suck and play poorly.  That didn't happen, and he not only whipped our Vikings, but he beat the great HOF Brady and the Pats.

I think this proves it doesn't really matter what Kirk did with the Redskins.  It's a new chapter in his career.
It will be interesting to see if your expectations, along with many others, come true.  I dont think it is a slam dunk as many others do mainly because of the difference in skill sets between Keenum and Cousins and Cousins weaknesses in his game as highlighted in this article.
It seems strange that the normally conservative Vikings front office would take such a large flyer in the form if a record breaking guarenteed contract for QB that isnt elite and elt the three veterans they have on staff go.  It seems to be a case of if we pay him like a tier 1 franchise guy hopefully he will play like one.
This is one of the strangest stories in NFL history that I can recall. 
I hope that it all works out and they can design an offense and call a game that will allow Cousins to flourish.  It is going to be interesting as heck.

Thought we were discussing whether Kirk can finish not Teddy get started. I too was watching in hopes of seeing if Teddy would take that next step. Then he got hurt. Since then we had 2 QB's come in and play at levels this team hadn't seen in years. In the 2 years Teddy's thrown 2 live fire shots. 1 went to the wrong team. If Teddy makes that next step good for him. Sadly I have to admit part of me hopes he doesn't. Selfish of me but I just don't want to hear about how badly we blew it. Cousins could just make it a moot point. Kirk's job now is to do better then the previous 2 not 3 ago. 

Quote: @Poiple said:
@HappyViking said:
Last off season the Vikings signed a backup QB scrub for nearly league minimum by the name of Case Keenum.  Once he was forced to start, everyone waited and waited for him to fail (myself included).  But he didn't.  The supporting cast around him along with his work ethic and excellent coaching staff made him not only sucessful, but a very weathly FA QB this off season.

If Case can turn his career around and flourish with this Vikings offense, I have no reason to believe that Kirk can't do the same.  As a matter of fact, I think we all expect Kirk to exceed the great play of Case's 2017 season. 

Look at the scrub backup that became the SB MVP.  Experts also kept waiting for Foles to suck and play poorly.  That didn't happen, and he not only whipped our Vikings, but he beat the great HOF Brady and the Pats.

I think this proves it doesn't really matter what Kirk did with the Redskins.  It's a new chapter in his career.
It will be interesting to see if your expectations, along with many others, come true.  I dont think it is a slam dunk as many others do mainly because of the difference in skill sets between Keenum and Cousins and Cousins weaknesses in his game as highlighted in this article.
It seems strange that the normally conservative Vikings front office would take such a large flyer in the form if a record breaking guarenteed contract for QB that isnt elite and elt the three veterans they have on staff go.  It seems to be a case of if we pay him like a tier 1 franchise guy hopefully he will play like one.
I hope that it all works out and they can design an offense and call a game that will allow Cousins to flourish.  It is going to be interesting as heck.
I didnt see it as strange. I actually expected it after the playoff dust settled.

A gamble? It's subjective as to how much of a gamble it is.

The promise is his potential with this surround 

Loved what Case did at times, but I understand the Vikings mantra of go big or go home with the Cousins signing.

Reminiscent of Favre but now a younger guy, longer runway and I think a better overall surround than Favre had too.  

Sam after coming to the Vikes turns in a career year for himself
Case after coming to the Vikes turns in a (by far) career best year for himself

I dont understand why Kirk couldnt do the same thing himself with a much better D holding the other team in check,  a much better running game,  and equal or better receivers than he ever had in DC.   sure he is statistically weaker in some areas,  but he is significantly stronger in other areas which should at a minimum average themselves out.  I look at it this way... Flipper could basically pick his job this year and he came here knowing that KC will be his QB.  Cousins will be the QB that Flipper has hitched his next upward coaching move to... not the guys that he had in Philly,  he came here to coach an offense led by Kirk Cousins.

I wasnt a fan of the contract that we gave Cousins,  I still think its to much for one position in a game of attrition,  but the rules favoring the position so heavily kind of force the unbalances in the cap distribution.  but  its done so .... let roll.

@HappyViking said:

I think it's a little bit more than a "flyer."  We're talking about a guy who has as many 4,000 yard seasons as the number of Viking QBs who've reached that mark in their 57 year history. And for a team that has seen its playoff hopes dashed by injuries to nearly every QB it has trotted out the last 10 years (Favre, Ponder, Cassel, Bridgewater, Bradford), it's also worth nothing that Cousins has started 48 of his last 48 games.

No, of course it's not a slam dunk. There will be a learning curve for everyone in the new offense. And like all QBs not named Brady, Rodgers or Brees, Cousins does have weaknesses. But for a team wanting to get to the next level, upgrading Keenum and moving on from two huge injury concerns, signing Cousins, even at that price, was the best move they could've made. And in a couple of years, I doubt that contract will rank among the top 10. 

@HappyViking said:

I don't think it is a strange story at all.  The Vikings Brass think he is a franchise QB and paid him like one.  You don't think he is a franchise QB so you find it strange?  I am happy this organization makes  decisions and has the support of ownership to get things like bringing in Cousins done.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
@HappyViking said:

I don't think it is a strange story at all.  The Vikings Brass think he is a franchise QB and paid him like one.  You don't think he is a franchise QB so you find it strange?  I am happy this organization makes  decisions and has the support of ownership to get things like bringing in Cousins done.  

His previous team didnt want him and the Vikes paid a record amount AND guarenteed it!   If you dont find that strange then nothing will.

@HappyViking said:

It shows how important getting a QB is to a team that they feel is ready to compete for a Superbowl otherwise. Did they overpay? Yep. But there was something they saw in Keenum that they decided to pass on after a whole year of witnessing him up close and the success the team had. We'll see if it was the right move with Cousins.

I'm excited about the possibilities, but to your point, I'm a little worried at the same time. What else is new as a Viking's fan?

@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
@HappyViking said:

His previous team didnt want him and the Vikes paid a record amount AND guarenteed it!   If you dont find that strange then nothing will.
They franchised him for 2 years and you say they didn't want him?  I think you might be reading the tea leaves wrong,  it was capn Kirk that didn't want the redskins as was evident by them continually trying to get him to sign a long term deal.

@minny65 said:
@Poiple said:
@HappyViking said:

the 49ers paid Jimmy G and McKinnon a ton of money and their previous teams didnt want them.  supply and demand..