Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Marcus Sherels was our biggest need???
Think of it this way: Sherels likely gone and replaced with a stud.  Also, Wayne's may, or may not be resigned.  Newman gone after this year.  Plus, jury out on Mac yet.

We could draft a CB every draft imo.  It's a big time position and need on almost every NFL team.

I think Hughes is going to be solid...and a nice improvement over Sherels, who has no business on a field except punt returns...

We know that we picked up Waynes' option, we get Newman back this season, and Mac...well, he's gotta be feeling a little heat right now.

Given that CBs reportedly take about the same time to really "get it" as QBs, I think Waynes has made steady strides in the right direction.  We likely won't know much about Hughes for a season or more, but it seems like he's a potential Winfield 2.0; his reviews list him as undersized, but vicious and smart.

I keep reading about Hughes being undersized but he is listed at slightly taller then 5'10 which is the average size of an NFL CB.  If so, he is an average NFL sized CB not undersized which keeps being repeated.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
I keep reading about Hughes being undersized but he is listed at slightly taller then 5'10 which is the average size of an NFL CB.  If so, he is an average NFL sized CB not undersized which keeps being repeated.  
on the Vikings.. hes undersized.  Waynes and Rhodes are both 6'1".  even Lil Mack is 5'11".

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Undersized CB with average speed, only one year of college experience, not one but TWO allegations of assault, but a pretty good kick returner. Doesn't that sound like a decent 4th round (or later) pick??

BTW, whatever happened to "no more short cornerbacks"?? I'm laughing at the people saying Hughes is a "day one starter at nickel CB". He played outside corner exclusively in college! But he is going to be good covering in the slot, JUST BECAUSE HE'S SHORT?? Hey Zimmer, how did that work out with Josh Robinson? How about Mac Alexander?

Well, I guess as long as Zimmer is here, we will draft CBs the way the Lions used to draft WRs.
Zim didn't draft Robinson.  That was a holdover from the Frazier era.  And Mac played decent last year.  He split time, but was solid from what I remember. 

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
on the Vikings.. hes undersized.  Waynes and Rhodes are both 6'1".  even Lil Mack is 5'11".
Understood but he is an average size NFL cornerback.  Just want to make that point because over time posters will be talking about how we drafted a small corner and we didn't.  

I can see the posters who are going to repeat this over and over again until they believe it is true.  Years ago many posters repeated that Sully was small for a starting NFL Center.  I ran the stats for every starting Center and he was average weight and slightly taller and despite providing facts it was repeated over and over again by the same posters that he was too small.  

So I just wanted to make the point early after Hughes was drafted for prevention purposes Smile

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"minny65" said:
Understood but he is an average size NFL cornerback.  Just want to make that point because over time posters will be talking about how we drafted a small corner and we didn't.  

I can see the posters who are going to repeat this over and over again until they believe it is true.  Years ago many posters repeated that Sully was small for a starting NFL Center.  I ran the stats for every starting Center and he was average weight and slightly taller and despite providing facts it was repeated over and over again by the same posters that he was too small.  

So I just wanted to make the point early after Hughes was drafted for prevention purposes Smile
yup,  but I think I was the first to say he is small because IMO 5-10 is small for todays jump ball game.  Now it sounds like the kids is pretty athletic,  but IMO he will still suffer against the bigger receivers with their ridiculous catch radius es.

He’s only .4 in short of their prototype corner/Zim...

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
He’s only .4 in short of their prototype corner/Zim...
was that his prototypical corner.... or the cutoff for what he wants to see for a corners height?

Quote: @"greediron" said:
@"Jor-El" said:
Undersized CB with average speed, only one year of college experience, not one but TWO allegations of assault, but a pretty good kick returner. Doesn't that sound like a decent 4th round (or later) pick??

BTW, whatever happened to "no more short cornerbacks"?? I'm laughing at the people saying Hughes is a "day one starter at nickel CB". He played outside corner exclusively in college! But he is going to be good covering in the slot, JUST BECAUSE HE'S SHORT?? Hey Zimmer, how did that work out with Josh Robinson? How about Mac Alexander?

Well, I guess as long as Zimmer is here, we will draft CBs the way the Lions used to draft WRs.
Zim didn't draft Robinson.  That was a holdover from the Frazier era.  And Mac played decent last year.  He split time, but was solid from what I remember. 

No, Zimmer criticized Robinson because of his height and let him go. My point is he should remember failures that happened on this team while he was here.