Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Replacing Marcus Sherels was our biggest need???
Undersized CB with average speed, only one year of college experience, not one but TWO allegations of assault, but a pretty good kick returner. Doesn't that sound like a decent 4th round (or later) pick??

BTW, whatever happened to "no more short cornerbacks"?? I'm laughing at the people saying Hughes is a "day one starter at nickel CB". He played outside corner exclusively in college! But he is going to be good covering in the slot, JUST BECAUSE HE'S SHORT?? Hey Zimmer, how did that work out with Josh Robinson? How about Mac Alexander?

Well, I guess as long as Zimmer is here, we will draft CBs the way the Lions used to draft WRs.

Allegations.... Who cares.  Really.   One never led to charges even.  Freshman year.  He paid his penalty on the other.  Deserves a chance.   

So you'd rather have their 4 or 5th choice offensive lineman and start them day one instead?  Wynn, Ragnow, Price all long gone before the Vikings selected.
Hughes had 4 INTs and 12 passes defensed last season so lets not pretend he's just a special teams player.  And I can't believe anyone that's been a fan of this team for more than 4 years, would not understand the value of secondary talent based on the past history of pass defense failures. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
Undersized CB with average speed, only one year of college experience, not one but TWO allegations of assault, but a pretty good kick returner. Doesn't that sound like a decent 4th round (or later) pick??

BTW, whatever happened to "no more short cornerbacks"?? I'm laughing at the people saying Hughes is a "day one starter at nickel CB". He played outside corner exclusively in college! But he is going to be good covering in the slot, JUST BECAUSE HE'S SHORT?? Hey Zimmer, how did that work out with Josh Robinson? How about Mac Alexander?

Well, I guess as long as Zimmer is here, we will draft CBs the way the Lions used to draft WRs.
This was my first thought...  The Bangcartoon with the lions front office.., so funny.  Owner - “We need to protect the QB”.  GM (cannot remember his name. Millen was it?) “I’ll draft him a WR right away!”.   

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
So you'd rather have their 4 or 5th choice offensive lineman and start them day one instead?  Wynn, Ragnow, Price all long gone before the Vikings selected.
Hughes had 4 INTs and 12 passes defensed last season so lets not pretend he's just a special teams player.  And I can't believe anyone that's been a fan of this team for more than 4 years, would not understand the value of secondary talent based on the past history of pass defense failures. 
Very good points. Pretty much sums it up. 

The Vikings picked 30th....lots of good players got snapped up that they would have loved to get, including Ragnow. But that's what happens when you draft so late in the round. 

Some fans are too blinded by the hear and now...  every year we talk about why it isn't smart to draft for need because you end up passing on some good football players.  Sure, we have a hole at RG (or RT depending on where you think Remmers should play), but we don't need to force the pick in the first round just to say we filled a need. 
As others have pointed out, once Wynn, Ragnow, and Price came off the board, there were still a glut of good OG prospects available.  Mike Hughes wouldn't be there at 62 and the talent at CB will really drop off after the mid-2nd round once a couple more guys get drafted.  You can bet a good OL will be there around our pick.
Also, it's a bit short-sighted to call this pick "replacing Marcus Sherels"...  Hughes has the potential to be a starting CB AND provide electric return ability.  As much as I like Sherels, he's basically on the team for his special teams prowess.  I would have more confidence in Hughes stepping in for an injured starter than Marcus.  Big difference between the two players.

Quote: @"Purplewhizz" said:
And just what causes most pass defense failures?  Giving the QB time to pick a D apart.  Giving your QB time to go thru his reads and make decisions is far more important than drafting a short, inexperienced CB for our “I can fix it” coach to play with for 3 years.  Minnesota has a history(of late) of drafting project DBs.  This is another one.  Why use your first round pick for a project?  First rounders are suppose to be ready to play.  Which means the Vikings used their first rounder on a return guy.... in a league that is “phasing out” returns... kinda.   And if this guy gets dinged while returning... how is that improving the secondary?  Sherels got dinged every year, or at least it seemed like it, so there is definitely a chance it can happen.  

Hopefully this guy works out quicker and better than either Waynes or Alexander... but I’m not holding my breath.    

What are the odds that this pick signifies that the team might be prepared to move on in case Wayne's leaves instead of paying him $12 million a year

Or perhaps Newman isn't coming back

Sure, he may be better than Sherels, and it will be nice to have a better #4 CB. But was that a bigger need than defensive line depth (DT Maurice Hurst, DE Harold Landry), bolstering the offensive line (C James Daniels, G Will Hernandez, OT Connor Williams), or even a DB who can be a full-time replacement for our weakest and oldest DB (S Justin Reid)? We drafted Hughes because we "only" have 3 decent CBs, but we only have 1 decent TE, so why not Dallas Goedert?
Our top pick went to the unit that might be the strongest on the team. I'm not even convinced Hughes was the best value at CB. We left Josh Jackson, Carlton Davis, and Isaiah Oliver on the board - 3 CBs with more experience and better size.
Two years ago, we all had some surprise that the Vikings drafted another CB with 2 young ones on the roster. But a 3rd young guy seemed reasonable, and we trusted that Zimmer knows how to identify CBs. Now they pick a guy who has weaker measurables than Alexander - and drafted him earlier. Just like Alexander, it's a projection that he can transition to covering in the slot.
The only way Hughes makes sense is if the team has decided Alexander is a bust. Or we just accept that Zimmer's desire to collect CBs is his unavoidable fetish.

I honestly think this pick is about Mac not developing like they want so they want someone to push him up or out.

Jackson is overrated. Measurables weren't  there in key places like the cone drill, IIRC. Anyway, I watch a lot of Big 10 games and when he wasn't making splash plays he wasn't doing squat.

As has been mentioned, Oliver looks more like a boundary guy. Davis is in the next lower tier.

As for Jones, Hurst, etc., teams weren't exactly burning up the phone lines to grab these kids. They all made it to the second round for a reason. Not a single one of them is without question marks.

It's the end of the 1st Round. Not exactly the sweet spot for can't miss guys. The perennial playoff teams make a living out of taking the best guy on their board regardless of need. Minnesota just did the same thing. We just may have to get used to this.