Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Pick That Makes You Put Fist To Wall
Quote: @"ATXVIKE" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
For me, it's any CB tonight...
Well which wall took it on the chin last night? I'm F'n smgdfh about this pick! Like I said in another thread I rarely get too alarmed regarding the draft...this was not a pick of need and no way was he BPOTB! He won't start day 1 and Sherrels will still return punts hopefully. So we have a 1st rd K returner...Patterson was that and a lot more! I wasn't posting yesterday but the only other picks I'd have issues with...not joking were RB QB K P WR in 1st rd....fist in wall picks!
i heard they had him at 15 on their board.  they did not even listen to offers from how soon they got their pick in.  i looked at his  clips and saw 2 great attributes - feet and strength , with acceleration being honorable mention.  Im hoping weve found our slot for the next 4 years

Quote: @"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
(With a pencil clinched between my teeth) Struggling to understand valuing a dimeback over a starting interior lineman...how much longer will the NFL even have KR?...oy
I don't think its about valuing a dimeback. Its about valuing CB depth and a potential starting nickle corner and kick returner. I've been preaching it for week, if anything had happened to Rhodes, Waynes, or Mac they would be screwed. You can't let that derail the entire team. If the draft was only a single round they still would be better because a potential line of Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Hill would be a better option than having to play Horace Richardson at corner. 
Exactly.  The off season moves pointed directly to corner being a need and a position where they would have good choices at the end of the 1st.  There is zero depth.  I still expect that they will bring back Newman if he wants which would really strengthen the group.

I am not sure Hernandez fits because he basically is just a mauling left guard.  Daniels is intriguing but only 20 years old and probably is going to struggle playing against older stronger players his first year or two.

I like Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller, and Colby Gossett as interior linemen to draft.
That's where someone (CB on the roster) puts on their big boy pants and earns their salary as a pro NFL player. What drop off does the #1 D in the league see if we lose a cb? What drop off do we see as our OL is depleted and inept and has a $84 mill QB with no protection? My gripe is we could have traded back...it could have been done earlier and likely the right deal could have been done. Who knows 5 picks later we still get Hughs! Why is the #1 D in the NFL still getting built?

@"BarrNone55" said:
For me, it's any CB tonight...
Well which wall took it on the chin last night? I'm F'n smgdfh about this pick! Like I said in another thread I rarely get too alarmed regarding the draft...this was not a pick of need and no way was he BPOTB! He won't start day 1 and Sherrels will still return punts hopefully. So we have a 1st rd K returner...Patterson was that and a lot more! I wasn't posting yesterday but the only other picks I'd have issues with...not joking were RB QB K P WR in 1st rd....fist in wall picks!
Explain to me how replacing Newman and Brock wasn't a need.

And no, Newman possibly returning for one more year wouldn't address that need. He was getting exposed a lot last sesson. It's entirely possible that he hasn't been signed because Zimmer doesn't want him back as a player.

The same group upset about this pick would also be the first to put their fists through walls if Waynes went down in the Playoffs and Rodgers/Brees/Ryan/Wentz started teeing off on Sherels.

@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
(With a pencil clinched between my teeth) Struggling to understand valuing a dimeback over a starting interior lineman...how much longer will the NFL even have KR?...oy
I don't think its about valuing a dimeback. Its about valuing CB depth and a potential starting nickle corner and kick returner. I've been preaching it for week, if anything had happened to Rhodes, Waynes, or Mac they would be screwed. You can't let that derail the entire team. If the draft was only a single round they still would be better because a potential line of Reiff - Easton - Elflein - Remmers - Hill would be a better option than having to play Horace Richardson at corner. 
Exactly.  The off season moves pointed directly to corner being a need and a position where they would have good choices at the end of the 1st.  There is zero depth.  I still expect that they will bring back Newman if he wants which would really strengthen the group.

I am not sure Hernandez fits because he basically is just a mauling left guard.  Daniels is intriguing but only 20 years old and probably is going to struggle playing against older stronger players his first year or two.

I like Braden Smith, Wyatt Teller, and Colby Gossett as interior linemen to draft.
That's where someone (CB on the roster) puts on their big boy pants and earns their salary as a pro NFL player. What drop off does the #1 D in the league see if we lose a cb? What drop off do we see as our OL is depleted and inept and has a $84 mill QB with no protection? My gripe is we could have traded back...it could have been done earlier and likely the right deal could have been done. Who knows 5 picks later we still get Hughs! Why is the #1 D in the NFL still getting built?
Not getting built, but keeping it strong for years to come.  I don't think teams that constantly pick late in the first reach for need, but rather keep building for the future.  If we lose Rhodes in the playoffs, what happens?  Oh, Newman gets beat for a TD to go up by 2 touchdowns.  Our O-line isn't depleted like it was last year.  We signed to OTs last year and continued developing Hill and another project tackle.  We drafted a stud center and filled both guards with the guys he beat out.  We drafted isadora, picked up a couple of guards already.  I would have loved to have Price or Ragnow, but it wasn't happening.

Your gripe is the Vikings could have traded back?  Looking at what transpired after our pick, it seems the Ravens wanted to trade up for Lamar Jackson...  if that was our only offer...  would you have rather drafted a good CB prospect at #30 or drop back 22 spots into the late 2nd round and get a late 4th round pick and a future 2nd? 
Under that scenario, it'd be nice to have an extra 2nd next year, but we may have missed out completely on a good CB or one of the OL you personally want.  And before you say, well we could package some picks to move up into the early 2nd for an OL, we'd need a willing trade partner to do that.  Easier said than done.

Huh.

After reading a bunch of reactions to last night's pick, I was assured that the sky was falling, it was the end of days, and that the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster had brought Zuul into our dimension.

All I see is a little drizzle, which in Western Washington is what we call "most of our weather".

Quote: @"Zanary" said:
Huh.

After reading a bunch of reactions to last night's pick, I was assured that the sky was falling, it was the end of days, and that the Gatekeeper and the Keymaster had brought Zuul into our dimension.

All I see is a little drizzle, which in Western Washington is what we call "most of our weather".
My girlfriends a dog...Wink

Quote: @"FSUVike" said:
@"Zanary" said:
Huh.

My girlfriends a dog...Wink
“Nah, think its a little crowded in there right now”

@"MarkSP18" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:

I can't tell if you're trying to just troll or what. What drop-off would the #1 D see if they lost one of their 3 NFL corners on the roster? A very big one. Sherels isn't considered a CB at the end of the day and Mac was the only one who could play the slot on the roster. Basically, an injury to any of the three starting CB's would have completely derailed the entire season. 

When it comes to trading back, no teams trades into a pick until they know who is available. You trade up with a specific target in mind. As the team trading back you also need to receive an offer that gives you enough value to drop back and lose a 5th year option. If you're going OG the 5th year options is worthless. For a DB its actually incredibly valuable. So getting Hughes five picks later for a 4th would't be worth the lost year of team control. There are a lot more variables in play. 

Oh, and the O-line isn't depleted. It can be improved upon but the current combination is far from inept. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:

Oh, and the O-line isn't depleted. It can be improved upon but the current combination is far from inept. 
This is the biggest thing... we talked last offseason that it would be a two-year process to improve the offensive line to potentially a top unit.  After adding Reiff and Remmers as free agents, drafting Pat Elflein in the 3rd round, and the emergence of Nick Easton...  the unit looks pretty solid as is.  We're entering Year 2 of the offensive line rebuild.  We lost a starting RG to retirement and a little depth, but we have some in-house guys that could emerge as a starter and at least 7 more draft picks to add some young talent.
I don't get the level of angst about not taking an OL with our first round pick.  I might expect it if we went the entire draft and didn't pick a single offensive lineman, but that's not the case...