Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock Draft 2.0
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Thanks for putting this together. Just this morning I was thinking that if we want to recoup that 4th, we might be better off trading back our 2nd rather than our 1st, which is what you did here. But I would do it only if Wynn, Hernandez or McGlinchey were the pick at 30. I like Goeddert, especially his hands, but if we're going to spend a 1st rounder on a TE, I want a Jordan Reed type. I'm not sure Goeddert is that guy. Plus, what impact will he have with Rudolph and Morgan ahead of him. So few rookie TEs make a difference early on. I know we need to think about post-Rudy, but I want immediate impact. A starter. 

I love the 3rd rounders. Dawson appears to be a corner ideally suited for the slot. And I much prefer taking our 4th corner in the 3rd rather than in the 1st as some are advocating. Love Corbett's flexibility to play pretty much anywhere. But I've been seeing things about Corbett that suggest there's little chance he'll still be there in the 3rd.

The rest I don't know much about yet...just haven't had as much time to "draftnik" as I usually do. I've studied only OL and RB so far...a few of the QBs. I will say that I don't like Wadley very much. He's very small and not that fast either. My favorite backs for us are Nyheim Hines whom you'll have to take no later than the 4th. And Rashaad Penny, who won't get past the 3rd. 
Goedert would immediately be the #2 TE and would be pushing Rudy pretty quickly.  The kid is for real,  if he had come from a bigger HS in a different part of the country he would have been playing for a much bigger college and he wouldnt even be questioned as to being worthy of #30.  Lots of room for improvement as I doubt he got half the position coaching at SDSU as what kids in much bigger programs receive.  I could be wrong,  but I think he is going to be one of those guys that is a Witten type.  Not overly flashy, but puts up great numbers for a lot of years.
I think that Goedert & Rudy are unique enough that they wouldn't necessarily be fighting for the same job. But I agree that there is probably some hidden upsides with DG since he hasn't had the same facilities, trainers, etc... as his power conference peers. Of course you're assuming he'd use all of the resources he'd be given, but most coaches/scouts like how hard of a worker he it.  
I got off the Goedert bandwagon a couple weeks ago based on a couple things.  He did not run that fast at the combine and when you watch his highlight tape he doesn't seem to get separation from LB/DB's (of course) at his level of competition.  I also read where he would need to work on his blocking a lot (not as bad as Geisiki) and he had a fair amount of drops although they threw too him a ton.  He was almost used like another WR.  Remember Bucky Hodges last year.  Now Goedert is a much better prospect but he still has too much work to do for me to draft him in the first round at 30 for us.

I like you first draft mock 1.0 pick of Oliver (CB) much better.

Maybe you can enlighten me on Goedert because I was very interested in him until the speed/separation/competition/blocking

@"dadevike" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"dadevike" said:
I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?
Nothing against DG. I think he is a good player. So is Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, Fumagali, and Ian Thomas.  Quite a few good TEs in this draft. DG looks good but TE is not a big need, at least not like CB and OL. I don’t think I would take one before the 3rd round.  
I would argue that if they don't take a TE in the first three rounds they'd be best off passing on the position until the 6th/7th. There are some athletic guys that are incredibly raw that they could stash and develop. The Vikings specifically want a receiving TE and the list you put together above outside of Andrews/Fumagali will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.  
Including Ian Thomas? I have been hoping he would last until round 3 given his limited production at Indiana...

Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
You are the king of deep dives. Austin Corbett doesn't even show up on CBS draft prospects lists. Not a fan of any Iowa RBs, let alone small slower ones. All in all I'd rather trade out of the 1st rd. slide back 5 or 6 and still get a day 1 starter for our O-line like Price, and still pick up a 4th rd. pick rather than lose our second rounder. Of course you need a dance partner.
http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile....id=1006983&draftyear=2018&genpos=OG

I kinda like the idea of keeping the first with the 5th year option and trading back in the 2nd but I would much rather bring back a 3rd next year instead of a 4th this year.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Thanks for putting this together. Just this morning I was thinking that if we want to recoup that 4th, we might be better off trading back our 2nd rather than our 1st, which is what you did here. But I would do it only if Wynn, Hernandez or McGlinchey were the pick at 30. I like Goeddert, especially his hands, but if we're going to spend a 1st rounder on a TE, I want a Jordan Reed type. I'm not sure Goeddert is that guy. Plus, what impact will he have with Rudolph and Morgan ahead of him. So few rookie TEs make a difference early on. I know we need to think about post-Rudy, but I want immediate impact. A starter. 

I love the 3rd rounders. Dawson appears to be a corner ideally suited for the slot. And I much prefer taking our 4th corner in the 3rd rather than in the 1st as some are advocating. Love Corbett's flexibility to play pretty much anywhere. But I've been seeing things about Corbett that suggest there's little chance he'll still be there in the 3rd.

The rest I don't know much about yet...just haven't had as much time to "draftnik" as I usually do. I've studied only OL and RB so far...a few of the QBs. I will say that I don't like Wadley very much. He's very small and not that fast either. My favorite backs for us are Nyheim Hines whom you'll have to take no later than the 4th. And Rashaad Penny, who won't get past the 3rd. 
Goedert would immediately be the #2 TE and would be pushing Rudy pretty quickly.  The kid is for real,  if he had come from a bigger HS in a different part of the country he would have been playing for a much bigger college and he wouldnt even be questioned as to being worthy of #30.  Lots of room for improvement as I doubt he got half the position coaching at SDSU as what kids in much bigger programs receive.  I could be wrong,  but I think he is going to be one of those guys that is a Witten type.  Not overly flashy, but puts up great numbers for a lot of years.
I think that Goedert & Rudy are unique enough that they wouldn't necessarily be fighting for the same job. But I agree that there is probably some hidden upsides with DG since he hasn't had the same facilities, trainers, etc... as his power conference peers. Of course you're assuming he'd use all of the resources he'd be given, but most coaches/scouts like how hard of a worker he it.  
I got off the Goedert bandwagon a couple weeks ago based on a couple things.  He did not run that fast at the combine and when you watch his highlight tape he doesn't seem to get separation from LB/DB's (of course) at his level of competition.  I also read where he would need to work on his blocking a lot (not as bad as Geisiki) and he had a fair amount of drops although they threw too him a ton.  He was almost used like another WR.  Remember Bucky Hodges last year.  Now Goedert is a much better prospect but he still has too much work to do for me to draft him in the first round at 30 for us.

Maybe you can enlighten me on Goedert because I was very interested in him until the speed/separation/competition/blocking
It's true that Goedert didn't run fast at the combine because he didn't run at all at the combine. He didn't run at his pro day either. 

Quote: @"PurplePastor" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

It's true that Goedert didn't run fast at the combine because he didn't run at all at the combine. He didn't run at his pro day either. 
He must have been watching the other Dallas Goedert at the combine. 

I read about Goedert's 40 time in another review and I think the source was below.  Don't know what they mean by personal workout or for what team.  Did not know that he didn't run the 40 at combine or Pro Day.  Giesiki ran a 4.54 at the combine.  I wonder why Goedert didn;t run at either opportunity?
Pig skin prospects:
Measurements (* Denotes Pro Day or Personal Workout Numbers):
LISTED HEIGHTLISTED WEIGHTLISTED 40 TIMECOMBINE HEIGHTCOMBINE WEIGHTARM LENGTHHAND SIZE
6'4      250      4.76      6'4        256         34     10

Quote: @"minny65" said:
I read about Goedert's 40 time in another review and I think the source was below.  Don't know what they mean by personal workout or for what team.  Did not know that he didn't run the 40 at combine or Pro Day.  Giesiki ran a 4.54 at the combine.  I wonder why Goedert didn;t run at either opportunity?
Pig skin prospects:
LISTED HEIGHTLISTED WEIGHTLISTED 40 TIMECOMBINE HEIGHTCOMBINE WEIGHTARM LENGTHHAND SIZE

He injured his hamstring at the senior bowl, so he didn't run. It was a new injury so its not like he's had injury issues or anything at SDSU. 

Quote: @"Jor-El" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"dadevike" said:
I would be stunned and pretty disappointed if Goedert was our pick in round 1. I would rather trade down for more picks or up for a better pick. 
Because we dont need another pass catcher and red zone threat or because we TE isnt a need or because you dont like Geodert in general?
Nothing against DG. I think he is a good player. So is Gesicki, Andrews, Hurst, Fumagali, and Ian Thomas.  Quite a few good TEs in this draft. DG looks good but TE is not a big need, at least not like CB and OL. I don’t think I would take one before the 3rd round.  
I would argue that if they don't take a TE in the first three rounds they'd be best off passing on the position until the 6th/7th. There are some athletic guys that are incredibly raw that they could stash and develop. The Vikings specifically want a receiving TE and the list you put together above outside of Andrews/Fumagali will be gone by the end of the 2nd round.  
Including Ian Thomas? I have been hoping he would last until round 3 given his limited production at Indiana...
Yeah, including Thomas. He has a lot of fans in the NFL. Very moldable and raw. 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"Poiple" said:
@"dadevike" said:
Geoff, do you have DG as the no. 1 TE? I’m not saying that’s wrong, but I’m also not sure I would agree. But assuming you do, presumably you have him as the first TE coming off the board, and you have him at 30.  So if we passed on TE in the first, I doubt NE or Philly would take one. Then no TEs would go in round 1.  And that would not surprise me at all. 

I agree that 3 TEs may go in the second round, maybe even before we pick. I would be very surprised if 4 were taken by the end of the second. I would not be surprised if only 2 were taken.  Third round may be the sweet spot for us to take a TE. 
Yes, I have Goedert first by a hair. It seems a lot of media guys like Hurst. I have them ranked Goedert/Gesicki in tier one and then Hurst in a tier of his own, followed by Ian Thomas. 

@"minny65" said:
Pig skin prospects:

He injured his hamstring at the senior bowl, so he didn't run. It was a new injury so its not like he's had injury issues or anything at SDSU. 
I am very curious what kind of 40 he will run when healthy.  The personal workout number from above is not very good but who knows where that number came from.

But related to speed, watching the highlight tape, he doesn't get separation from LB'ers and most catches are contested and against a lower tier of players.