Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Draft pick after Richardson signing.
I do not see drafting a guard in the first. Remmers is staying at RG. If we take an O lineman in the first it has to be a tackle.  I would not take Brown in the first, maybe not even in the second. I was happy to see Baker Mayfield try to protect him, but Brown came off as fat, lazy, and unathletic.
Likewise, with Cook coming back and Murray staying on, there is no way we should draft a RB before the 5th or 6th round. A guy like Ryan Nall or Jeffrey Wilson will probably be available in the later rounds.
I would love to see a pass-rushing DE. So would most of the 29 teams that draft ahead of us. The talent does not seem to be there in this draft. 
Someone we do not currently expect will probably drop to us at 30 and will be either too good to pass up (McGlinchy?) or RS will receive a trade offer (for Will Hernandez, Isaiah Wynn, Guice?) that he can't refuse.

Quote: @dadevike said:
I do not see drafting a guard in the first. Remmers is staying at RG. If we take an O lineman in the first it has to be a tackle.  I would not take Brown in the first, maybe not even in the second. I was happy to see Baker Mayfield try to protect him, but Brown came off as fat, lazy, and unathletic.
Likewise, with Cook coming back and Murray staying on, there is no way we should draft a RB before the 5th or 6th round. A guy like Ryan Nall or Jeffrey Wilson will probably be available in the later rounds.
I would love to see a pass-rushing DE. So would most of the 29 teams that draft ahead of us. The talent does not seem to be there in this draft. 
Someone we do not currently expect will probably drop to us at 30 and will be either too good to pass up (McGlinchy?) or RS will receive a trade offer (for Will Hernandez, Isaiah Wynn, Guice?) that he can't refuse.
I see Rick trading out of the first this year.  I think he did this to us a few years ago as well didnt he (2010 comes to mind) ?  we all sat around all night for our pick to come up and he traded out of the first all together?

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
@dadevike said:
I see Rick trading out of the first this year.  I think he did this to us a few years ago as well didnt he (2010 comes to mind) ?  we all sat around all night for our pick to come up and he traded out of the first all together?

This would not surprise me at all. Probably a 30-40% chance he trades it - you don't need anyone to make your pick; you need a willing partner and to agree on compensation to execute a trade.  It's always a little disappointing because the draft finally reaches the Vikings and you want to see a pick. But if it makes sense, I'm ok with it.
What I am not OK with is picking up a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks to spend on guys that will have very little chance to make this team. 

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@RushmoreVike said:
one other thought... Richardson is only a 1 year deal so does having him this year prevent us from going after a stud 3T if one is there at 30?  I dont really think so if he is really BPA as we will likely have the same need in 1 year.  Letting Richardson go after 1 season and replacing him with a guy on a rookie deal will free up more cap for resigning others instead of having to burn more cap in 19 to fill the 3T role like we did this year.

The Vikings are reportedly very high on Jaleel Johnson (4th round pick last year).  If that is true and the team has Richardson signed for one year... I would think that pushes the "need" for a DT down a bit.
its funny how the team is always reported as "high" on this guy or that guy,  but we dont really see that translate very often.  IMO until we see these guys on the field for extended amounts of time we need to draft as if they arent going to do anything substantial.   I think we can wait a year with QB now that they went and go an experienced vet in simeon,  but QB was still a priority for me even after signing cousins as we dont know jack about Sloter except that the brass are very high on him.   hell I am very high on Cook,  but I would still be looking RB in the middle rounds as well.  honestly I cant really think of a position at this point that is off the table in terms of who we should look at taking at 30.
I get what you are saying, but in terms of roster management...  the Vikings can probably look elsewhere and get better value with an equally talented player at another position.

For example, I've seen a number of fans that are high on drafting Billy Price or some other OG with an early pick to replace Joe Berger.  I like Price as a player, but if we are taking an OL in the first two rounds, I'd prefer an OT.  The coaching staff is also pretty high on Isidora and he certainly didn't look overmatched when he got on the field as a rookie.  Remmers is also a candidate to kick inside to RG if we draft an OT.  I think that's a better use of our early round draft capital...  same with DT.  Based upon the coaches comments, it looks like we're 2 deep at DT...  If we draft another DT early, you're pretty much guaranteeing that rookie will not have a chance to start and pushes Johnson further down the depth chart.

I agree that this team can literally go just about any direction with their first couple draft picks...  but I think we'll see a DE, OT, or CB taken before a DT or OG.

Quote: @dadevike said:
@RushmoreVike said:
@dadevike said:

This would not surprise me at all. Probably a 30-40% chance he trades it - you don't need anyone to make your pick; you need a willing partner and to agree on compensation to execute a trade.  It's always a little disappointing because the draft finally reaches the Vikings and you want to see a pick. But if it makes sense, I'm ok with it.
What I am not OK with is picking up a bunch of 6th and 7th round picks to spend on guys that will have very little chance to make this team. 
this year I like the idea of trading out of the first into the early 2nd and pickup up a 4th.  CLeveland would be pretty close to even if we sent them pick #30 for their #35 and #114 (packers pick through cleveland, #14 in the  4th)

I also would like to see us trading out of some of those 6th rounders and trying to turn them into earlier future picks.  it would be nice to see Rick start a cascade of pick rolling forward instead of taking flyers on guys in these later rounds that will have a very hard time making our team.

Folks, there isn't one single 3T in this Draft that had the pass rushing pedigree that Floyd had.

This is a Draft where you can find run stuffers galore. But the guys with the upside to get to the QB are Hurst, who is undersized and has that irregular heart issue and that kid Bryan out of UF who is far more potential than actual production.

OT,.OG,.DE, TE, LB, FS are all positions that could have a much more polished prospect available at #30 then 3T. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@RushmoreVike said:
@Wetlander said:
@RushmoreVike said:
one other thought... Richardson is only a 1 year deal so does having him this year prevent us from going after a stud 3T if one is there at 30?  I dont really think so if he is really BPA as we will likely have the same need in 1 year.  Letting Richardson go after 1 season and replacing him with a guy on a rookie deal will free up more cap for resigning others instead of having to burn more cap in 19 to fill the 3T role like we did this year.

The Vikings are reportedly very high on Jaleel Johnson (4th round pick last year).  If that is true and the team has Richardson signed for one year... I would think that pushes the "need" for a DT down a bit.
its funny how the team is always reported as "high" on this guy or that guy,  but we dont really see that translate very often.  IMO until we see these guys on the field for extended amounts of time we need to draft as if they arent going to do anything substantial.   I think we can wait a year with QB now that they went and go an experienced vet in simeon,  but QB was still a priority for me even after signing cousins as we dont know jack about Sloter except that the brass are very high on him.   hell I am very high on Cook,  but I would still be looking RB in the middle rounds as well.  honestly I cant really think of a position at this point that is off the table in terms of who we should look at taking at 30.
I get what you are saying, but in terms of roster management...  the Vikings can probably look elsewhere and get better value with an equally talented player at another position.

For example, I've seen a number of fans that are high on drafting Billy Price or some other OG with an early pick to replace Joe Berger.  I like Price as a player, but if we are taking an OL in the first two rounds, I'd prefer an OT.  The coaching staff is also pretty high on Isidora and he certainly didn't look overmatched when he got on the field as a rookie.  Remmers is also a candidate to kick inside to RG if we draft an OT.  I think that's a better use of our early round draft capital...  same with DT.  Based upon the coaches comments, it looks like we're 2 deep at DT...  If we draft another DT early, you're pretty much guaranteeing that rookie will not have a chance to start and pushes Johnson further down the depth chart.

I agree that this team can literally go just about any direction with their first couple draft picks...  but I think we'll see a DE, OT, or CB taken before a DT or OG.
for me its OT, CB, LB, and then maybe DE.  of course without knowing what they know... we really dont know shit about the reserves so trying to assess team needs is really a shot in the dark.

I could see Rick trading down and taking Cleveland's 35th and their 4th rd. pick 114th. Makes up for our lack of a 4th rounder, and still get us an interior O-lineman, and gives us some flexibility to trade up in the mid rounds for someone we like.

Don't underestimate Zimmer's love of corners.

Right now they have Rhodes, Waynes, Alexander and two PS guys in Richardson and Tocho.

If Newman comes back maybe he will defy the odds again but this is likely the last season.

If there is an injury (knock on wood) then the corner position which is key to his defense, will be lacking.

After they signed Richardson Spielman mentioned that he had to go scout corners.  I do not believe he was lying.

From my limited knowledge and ability to read the tea leaves, it really did not appear Zimmer was thrilled about paying what they had to pay to get Cousins.

Since he had give on that situation I expect he will get when it comes to the draft.

And he loves to pick corners early.