Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings Have Reached Out to Drew Brees
Quote: @Vikergirl said:
This is a total tease. 
na atleast you get to check out the tease. this isnt even a tease more of a fantasy. 

Vikings fans' favorite quarterback is always the guy that's not playing.

I guarantee if we sign him, someone by week 5 will be lamenting about how we should have gone with Bridgewater instead of wasting money on an aging vet.

If it’s true that the Saints are offering Brees only 22 mil, he may be willing to listen, who knows!? 

Quote: @mblack said:
@medaille said:
@Vikeking2 said:
the saints couldnt afford his 18 million guarantee that triggers if team picks up options this week. 

how are they going to renegotiate a deal near 30 mil a season. 
The 18M is for if they don't resign him, which is part of the signing bonus they did on his last contract.  If they do resign him, they would just have to put more money into the future like they previously did.  Either way, they're digging themselves a pretty sizable hole given how good they looked last year.  If they resigned Brees for 30M a year for 2 years, it would probably look something like $25M this year, $25M next year, and $28M the following year (after his contract expires) and they'd just have to eat that huge dead money cap hit for one year.
Werent they trying to dig themselves out of cap hell a few years back? I am not sure they have enough room to make the deal above work without losing some other vital peices. I may be wrong though with the good draft picks they have had lately.
I don't understand for the life of me how they let this negotiation get to this point.
I think they're at $30M of cap space before FA and that includes $6M of Brees signing bonus that will balloon to $18M if they don't resign him.  A $25M cap hit in 2018 would leave them with $11M which is enough to sign their draft picks but not really enough to be active in FA.

Quote: @Vikeking2 said:
the saints couldnt afford his 18 million guarantee that triggers if team picks up options this week. 

how are they going to renegotiate a deal near 30 mil a season. 
By giving  him a five year deal with low base salary and large signing bonus.   Same way all teams do it when up against the cap.

LOL!!

NFW...

I like the idea of Brees, but just feel that it is another in the line of one or two year stop gaps that have dominated this team since 87.

Looks like the Saints signed him at 2yr/48M.  Sweetheart of a deal considering all the other numbers being thrown around. 

Quote: @Steve said:
Looks like the Saints signed him at 2yr/48M.  Sweetheart of a deal considering all the other numbers being thrown around. 
Took a discount to keep the rest of the team together.   He's made mega$$$ already, now he wants one more ring before his arm falls off. 

Quote: @Steve said:
I don’t see this substantiated anywhere.  Do you have a link?