Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins to the Vikings already a done deal?
Quote: @Bullazin said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'll leave it at this. If the Vikings sign Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90+M over 3 years they'll have their credibility questioned by the rest of the league. That would be a 50% increase to Matt Stafford's guaranteed money on a contract that is two years shorter. If Cousins reps are even going to suggest a fully guaranteed contract it's going to be in the range of $25M/yr. 
What i feel certain about is that Cousins will get a contract with the highest amount of guaranteed money per year in NFL history
Thats pretty much a foregone conclusion. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Bullazin said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I'll leave it at this. If the Vikings sign Cousins to a fully guaranteed $90+M over 3 years they'll have their credibility questioned by the rest of the league. That would be a 50% increase to Matt Stafford's guaranteed money on a contract that is two years shorter. If Cousins reps are even going to suggest a fully guaranteed contract it's going to be in the range of $25M/yr. 
What i feel certain about is that Cousins will get a contract with the highest amount of guaranteed money per year in NFL history
It'll be short-lived...Rogers is going to sign an extension I suspect soon and it will most certainly be after they see how the market sets after FA. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Bullazin said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
It'll be short-lived...Rogers is going to sign an extension I suspect soon and it will most certainly be after they see how the market sets after FA. 
Matt Ryan as well. Both have the luxury of waiting for Cousins to sign and increase their market values a little more. 

Cousins' agent just came out and said 'all teams are in play' and no final decisions are even close to being made....which is what he should be saying. Cousins also sent out a tweet saying 'this is my first time being a free agent since high school' and he's 'looking for suggestions'.....

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Cousins' agent just came out and said 'all teams are in play' and no final decisions are even close to being made....which is what he should be saying. Cousins also sent out a tweet saying 'this is my first time being a free agent since high school' and he's 'looking for suggestions'.....

Vikings probably don't want tampering charges. I am banking that it is all but a done deal and that was needed to be said to put the heat off the Vikings.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000...witter_atn
NEx week cant get here soon enough... :/

So we have a Redskins player, DeAngelo Hall, saying other Redskins players feel Cousins did not really want to be there because he would not agree to take what the Redskins had offered. A Broncos player says they would be instant SB contenders with Cousins - we all know they suck with their current QBs. The Jets have let it be known that nobody can pay Cousins as much as they can.  Zimmer says publicly that we have to keep in mind that we have won a lot of games as a team, largely on defense, and not because of one single player.
And Cousins' agent assures everyone that every team interested in Cousins still has a chance to get him.
Meanwhile, the Vikings currently have zero starting QBs.
This situation will come to an end soon. But it won't be soon enough as far as I'm concerned.

Quote: @silverjoel said:
@Wetlander said:
I'm honestly shocked that more fans aren't in favor of signing Cousins...  he is one of the best deep ball throwers in the NFL since he became a starter.  The Vikings have two of the best WRs in the NFL in contested catches and can make plays downfield.  These offensive skill players made Bradford and Keenum have career years...  and those seasons weren't even as good as Cousins has been the past three years.  I don't know why fans are expecting Cousins to play worse than he did with the Skins.  He's an upgrade.  I would much rather pay him 27 million per year than Case 20 million per year over a 3-5 year contract.
I haven't seen anything about Cousins being one of the best deep ball throwers.  Would you happen to have a source?

Here's what find:
https://www.footballoutsiders.com/index....rk-cousins

https://brickwallblitz.com/2017/03/26/th...roject-13/

It seems like PFF had him at #10 for last year (pay wall) and the deep ball project isn't out yet.

Here is one article that takes a dive into his production over most of his 3 years as a starter.
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/fanc...a165aefacb
"Since becoming Washington’s starting quarterback in 2015, Cousins has completed 1,034 of 1,525 attempts (67.8 percent) for 12,121 yards, 73 touchdowns and 29 interceptions. His passer rating of 99.7 over that span ranks fifth among 22 quarterbacks with at least 1,000 pass attempts. Only two future Hall of Famers, Tom Brady and Drew Brees, and the 2016 MVP, Matt Ryan, have a higher total passer rating since 2015. The order changes slightly — Brady, Ryan, Brees, Cousins — if you use adjusted net yards per pass, an updated version of passer rating that has a slightly higher correlation to team wins."
"The offensive line, held together with duct tape and glue, ranks 29th this season for pass-blocking ability, per Pro Football Focus, and has seen Cousins pressured on 36.6 percent of his drop-backs in 2017, the highest rate during his three-year run. Yet his passer rating under pressure this season is 81.6, a career high and the sixth-highest in 2017."
"The high-level performance for Cousins isn’t the result of conservative passes, either. His 42.5 percent completion rate on deep throws, those traveling 20 or more yards in the air, ranks fifth among 27 quarterbacks attempting at least 100 deep throws over the past three years. His passer rating (109.0) on these attempts is second only to Matthew Stafford of the Detroit Lions. And this proficiency down the field isn’t merely the result of having DeSean Jackson on the roster during his first two seasons under center for Washington: Cousins’s completion percentage (40.5 percent) and passer rating (109.7) rank eighth and seventh, respectively, in 2017 with Josh Doctson as his primary deep threat."
"Some will dismiss Cousins’s performance due to a lack of wins relative to his peers, but it is silly to assign quarterbacks wins and losses as if they have total control over the outcome of the game. Instead, it is more instructive to look at how often the passing game scores on each play compared to other offenses in the same situation. For example, with Cousins at the helm, Washington has scored 8.5 points per game more than expected based on each play’s down, distance and field position. Since 2015, only the New England Patriots, Atlanta Falcons, New Orleans Saints and Pittsburgh Steelers have exceeded expectations by more points per game due to their ability to pass the ball."

Take these excerpts from the article how you want...  but Cousins has produced under less than ideal circumstances.  It's hard to argue that he isn't a top 12 QB in the NFL no matter which way you slice it.

You got to love the off season.  Its must going to get more interesting.