Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
State of the MN Vikings Franchise
See, I think Alex Smith is the kind of player an OC can trust. He's been in several different systems and has usually been allowed to audible.

Any more it seems most plays come in from the sidelines with both a run and pass option based on what the QB srrs the Defense doing. The last few years it just feels like whichever QB was under Center was just going to roll with the initial call.

Give me a guy like Smith who will see Jarius lined up on a scrub or rookie or Floyd or Treadwell having a significant height advantage and take that opportunity vs. always throwing to guys who routinely get double covered.

Ive never been a huge Smith fan, but the guy is a trustworthy winner. Put him in with our D and we win 12-13 games while Sloter develops or we draft our guy. I still love Teddy, but is his knee going to make it?
With how open our guys ALWAYS are, get an accurate, safe passer in here who can hit one or two over the top a game, give us 1 more OL in the draft to allow Hill to move back to the bench and suddenly our O is really good. Get the replacement 3DT and suddenly we are right back here next year but talking about our win.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@AGRforever said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Why would we keep 2 long snappers?
Just to retain Overbaugh's rights for the time being. Basically it would be the cheapest insurance policy you can buy.  
I think they probably have seen enough of both to know who they should keep based on age, performance, and contract. I didn't see any drop off when McDermott went down. Who's younger and cheaper? I know in the grand scheme of things LS aren't a money issue, but why have them take up space when clearly there are more pressing positions that need depth?
you missed the punt block in the saints game?
yer blaming that on the snap?
nope the missed asignment  blocking

Quote: @Neptizzle said:
Ive never been a huge Smith fan, but the guy is a trustworthy winner. Put him in with our D and we win 12-13 games while Sloter develops or we draft our guy. I still love Teddy, but is his knee going to make it?
With how open our guys ALWAYS are, get an accurate, safe passer in here who can hit one or two over the top a game, give us 1 more OL in the draft to allow Hill to move back to the bench and suddenly our O is really good. Get the replacement 3DT and suddenly we are right back here next year but talking about our win.
We're on the same page, friend. Not liking the DT FA Class, though. Poe and Richardson are the best but will want monster deals and seem to play better in contract years.

Thanks for the analysis.  I have to call out this: "Ryan Quigley had one the best seasons for a punter in Vikings history and should return without competition."  Really?!  I hope you don't try to run that past Greg Coleman or Mitch Berger.  Quigley was DEAD LAST among qualifying punters in gross punting average (34th in league and a full yard worse than #33).  He did a good job avoiding touch backs, but even his net average, with a good cover team was 29th in the league.  Inside the 20?  A stupid stat since no one is happy if the punter gets a fair catch at the 18 yard line when punting from mid-field -- but Quigley was a respectable tied for 10th.  I'd debate the notion that it is worth having Quigley back at all; vehemently disagree that he should not have competition; and flat out questions your sanity to say he had "one of the best seasons for a punter in Vikings history."

Quote: @Purpleblooded said:
Thanks for the analysis.  I have to call out this: "Ryan Quigley had one the best seasons for a punter in Vikings history and should return without competition."  Really?!  I hope you don't try to run that past Greg Coleman or Mitch Berger.  Quigley was DEAD LAST among qualifying punters in gross punting average (34th in league and a full yard worse than #33).  He did a good job avoiding touch backs, but even his net average, with a good cover team was 29th in the league.  Inside the 20?  A stupid stat since no one is happy if the punter gets a fair catch at the 18 yard line when punting from mid-field -- but Quigley was a respectable tied for 10th.  I'd debate the notion that it is worth having Quigley back at all; vehemently disagree that he should not have competition; and flat out questions your sanity to say he had "one of the best seasons for a punter in Vikings history."
Ask Preifer. The Vikings don't kick for distance. They kick for coverage. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Purpleblooded said:
Ask Preifer. The Vikings don't kick for distance. They kick for coverage. 

Which is why you look at net.  29th in the league.  Right there with the all-time greats!

As mentioned above, we kick for coverage.  We were #1 in fewest touchbacks (0), #1 in fair catches by a wide margin - 33, #2 Indy had 27; we were 6th in fewest punts returned.    Not as good at punts inside the 20 as it felt from just watching - a 6 way tie for 17th which is bottom half.

forgive me if this is a stupid question ( i dont know contract rules like some of you guys!) but if we lose McKinnon or Teddy or Sam are we owed any compensatory picks?  I know we have no contracts with Teddy and Sam.  Can we use a transition tag or something so if they walk we at least get a draft pick as consolation?

Is McKinnon going to head to NYG?