Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The D, Is Anyone Concerned?
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
The lack of pass rush has a lot to do with Brees and Kamara/Ingram. Brees gets the ball out as quick as anyone. Even when he doesn't he has a really good feel for the pocket and makes very subtle movements to buy himself enough time to get the ball out. To really give him problems you need to get pressure up the middle and force him to a single side of the field. Kamara has also been his best friend since you can tell D-line don't want to over pursue and get burned. In the first half MN did a very good job of keeping Brees in the pocket and forcing him to throw through traffic. Even when there wasn't a pass rush the D-lineman were getting their hands up in the passing lanes (think Everson deflection). 

Midway through the 2nd quarter and throughout the 2nd half the Saints started moving Brees and running a lot more misdirection. The one weakness of the Vikings defense is that they can get a little too aggressive at times and allow big gains out the back door. New Orleans play called towards that. They also exposed Mac on Ted Ginn a number of times. It isn't that Mac can't cover Ginn in man-to-man coverage, he just was giving him way to much cushion. 

I wouldn't worry about the defense much moving forward since they still pounded the Saints on 3rd down and likely learned to not exert all of their energy early in the game. That is a common problem when you play pumped up at home though. 
And that is why NO traded Graham for Unger.  Brees needs his lanes to throw as he can't throw over top like bigger QBs.  They were getting killed in the middle and paid a big price to fix that issue.  Funny how Seattle has struggled since trading Unger.

And the misdirection, I can't remember the play exactly, but there was one that really sticks out that our D bit on.  And there was also the missed half back option that would have been a dagger.

Quote: @SmashmouthD said:
14 of their 24 points came after we gave them the ball on our end of the field -- the bad INT and the blocked punt.

It was the same recipe as our loss to the Lions at home earlier in the season.

Our D is phenomenal, but not perfect.  If they would have had to drive the length of the field, our D would have had more chances to stop them.
Yep.  Except the offense scored at the end to win it this time. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
The lack of pass rush has a lot to do with Brees and Kamara/Ingram. Brees gets the ball out as quick as anyone. Even when he doesn't he has a really good feel for the pocket and makes very subtle movements to buy himself enough time to get the ball out. To really give him problems you need to get pressure up the middle and force him to a single side of the field. Kamara has also been his best friend since you can tell D-line don't want to over pursue and get burned. In the first half MN did a very good job of keeping Brees in the pocket and forcing him to throw through traffic. Even when there wasn't a pass rush the D-lineman were getting their hands up in the passing lanes (think Everson deflection). 

Midway through the 2nd quarter and throughout the 2nd half the Saints started moving Brees and running a lot more misdirection. The one weakness of the Vikings defense is that they can get a little too aggressive at times and allow big gains out the back door. New Orleans play called towards that. They also exposed Mac on Ted Ginn a number of times. It isn't that Mac can't cover Ginn in man-to-man coverage, he just was giving him way to much cushion. 

I wouldn't worry about the defense much moving forward since they still pounded the Saints on 3rd down and likely learned to not exert all of their energy early in the game. That is a common problem when you play pumped up at home though. 
And that is why NO traded Graham for Unger.  Brees needs his lanes to throw as he can't throw over top like bigger QBs.  They were getting killed in the middle and paid a big price to fix that issue.  Funny how Seattle has struggled since trading Unger.

And the misdirection, I can't remember the play exactly, but there was one that really sticks out that our D bit on.  And there was also the missed half back option that would have been a dagger.
The screen to Hill in the 2nd quarter? 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
Not against Philly. Zimmer admitted he made some mistakes in this game and you can bet he'll get that cleaned up. And a re-charged Vikings defense against Nick Foles should be (may not be, but SHOULD be) a laugher. 

But I'm way more concerned about the Patriots than I was before. 
Phillys offense isn't a joke.  They have play makers.  Hopefully Rhodes is up for the task on Jefferies.  But their run game is stout and their OL is decent.  There's a reason they're the last one standing. 
Yeah, and that reason is on IR.

No game in the NFL is easy on the road, but Philly doesn't belong here with Foles as their QB. I will be very surprised if we lose this game. I like how we match up. Zim will likely sell out to stop Ajayi forcing Foles to beat them. And he'll have to play out of his mind to do that. And with Rhodes limiting Jeffery, I like our chances. 
To supplement your comment, the Eagles have the 32nd ranked offense in the NFL after Wentz went down. That isn't very reassuring. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@greediron said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:

The screen to Hill in the 2nd quarter? 
Could be, I just recall one play that was really was overplayed/misplayed.  I think it was a screen, so probably.

I have zero concerns about the Eagles offense.  I think our defense should keep them under
control if our offense and special teams can minimize mistakes and score a
reasonable number of points.

I am concerned about what would happen if we had to play the
Patriots offense.

I think we went conservative on offense and defense.  I haven’t rewatched the game, but that’s how
it felt.  Maybe it would have been fine
if Keenum and the punt unit didn’t gift them two short fields.  What’s the other option?  Brees is just so good that Zimmer had no
counter?  
I'm hoping for a Jacksonville - Minnesota SB for multiple reasons.

My girlfriend, but after a couple glasses of moscato she's no longer concerned about the D. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@AGRforever said:
@MaroonBells said:
Not against Philly. Zimmer admitted he made some mistakes in this game and you can bet he'll get that cleaned up. And a re-charged Vikings defense against Nick Foles should be (may not be, but SHOULD be) a laugher. 

But I'm way more concerned about the Patriots than I was before. 
Phillys offense isn't a joke.  They have play makers.  Hopefully Rhodes is up for the task on Jefferies.  But their run game is stout and their OL is decent.  There's a reason they're the last one standing. 
Yeah, and that reason is on IR.

No game in the NFL is easy on the road, but Philly doesn't belong here with Foles as their QB. I will be very surprised if we lose this game. I like how we match up. Zim will likely sell out to stop Ajayi forcing Foles to beat them. And he'll have to play out of his mind to do that. And with Rhodes limiting Jeffery, I like our chances. 
Couldn't agree less. Running the Football and Defense gets most teams this far unless they have a Tier 1 QB or someone en fuego like Flacco that one year.

Philly has a very good O-Line. If Peters was starting at LT it would be the best in the League except maybe the Steelers.

Tom Johnson isn't great against the run. Stephen may be out. Gedeon is a Rookie. Sendejo may be out. Alexander looked lost under the pressure.

There are ample reasons to believe the Eagles can get to 12 or 15 points at home.

And that may be enough. Hill struggled in the second half against Cameron Jordan, at home. Now he has to face Brandon Graham, on the road. 

The interior, particularly Remmers, struggled in the second half against NO, at home. Now they get Fletcher Cox, on the road. Running game struggled against a team without as good of a Front 7.

It's very easy to envision a scenario where the RBs are stuffed and Case is scrambling for his life and not given enough time to exploit the Eagles CBs. Hard to get consistent Offense like that and easy to turn the ball over.

As weird as it sounds, being knocked out doesn't necessarily indicate the severity of a concussion. Hard to say if he'll recover enough to be ready on Sunday. I'd like to have him out there to help with the run defense, but Harris has been very solid when he's played. Any word on Shamar Stephen or do we need to hope that Jaleel Johnson is finally ready to play some minutes?

Quote: @greediron said:
@Tom Moore said:
No.  This is Drew Brees.  The defense bent because the offense let up off the gas pedal and got way too conservative. The defense still allowed only 2 of 9 third down conversions.

The defense is elite, but teams will get their yards in a league where the rules very much favor offense and scoring.  

When you worry about the Viking D, is the days they are not disciplined in stopping the run  - 1st Detroit Game, Carolina.  when that happens, there is trouble
Yes, the D got tired at the end and still came through with a big stop to hold them to a FG and give the offense a chance.

Sacks are nice, but Zimmer knows what he is doing.  We didn't blitz much, but the one I remember got home with Harrison and BRob.  Griff got one strip sack as well.  But I think our LBs were much more focused on the RBs in the pass game.  The had to be covered and the means EK and Barr were rather busy. 

I think Philly will be a different story.  I expect us to come after Foles.  Especially if Sendejo is back.  I wouldn't count on that tho, he was knocked out, is that correct?

Isn't Jaleel Johnson a 3-tech?  Shamar Stephen is the back-up NT.

Since Lindval mostly comes off the field on non-running downs, losing the back-up NT isn't a huge loss.  They'll ask JJohnson to maybe take a few NT snaps, but it won't be too many.

Right?