Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The D, Is Anyone Concerned?
First off it was a great win, and believe me, I think we deserve every bit of excitment, jubilation, and celebrating after the Diggsy play.  It was awesome, and we earned that win.

But, what about how we all felt just before that play?  I admit I was pissed and was wondering what the hell happened to that great #1 D.  Brees shredded the Vikes in the second half, and we didn't have much of a pass rush.  Did the Saints expose us and find some "chink in the armor" of Zim's defense?  Maybe I'm just paranoid, but I'm concerned that maybe we do have some weakness that Philly now knows about.

This crazy season lives on, and we'll take this one game at a time, but I do admit I'm more concered about this Philly game than I was with the Saints.

Dunno.  I am hopeful this is like the Carolina game, only we won.  A brief reminder that we need everyone to do their job.

I think Rhodes is hurting more than is let on.  And he lost his head for a while.  And Zimmer took responsibility for the 4-10 call.  He said he stayed with the coverage one time too many.  If they hold on that, we are talking an amazing defensive stand.

Honestly, they adjusted well at halftime and put points on the board while we didn't.  In the first half we got an INT in the redzone, stopping a long drive.  Second half they capitalized on 2 turnovers and came away with points.  If we don't have those two mistakes, we may have won 20-7 or so. 

I am probably more concerned about our O-line honestly.  We didn't run the ball very well.  Case got pressured quite a bit. 

I am concerned with AZ.  We missed him when he went out.  

And I am concerned we aren't blitzing enough.  I hope we become aggressive and go after them next week.  

We were too vanilla on both offense and defense.  They coached like playoff rookie play callers. Need to do better vs. Philly. Murray had 19 carries for 50 yards. And it was obvious at times that we were running and the Saints stacked the line.  That is ok on 2d and 1, but not on 1st and 10. Not over and over.

we held them just fine in the first half.  it was the chicken shit calling in the second half that nearly made this year end just like all other viking postseasons. 

Quote: @A1Janitor said:
I am concerned with AZ.  We missed him when he went out.  

And I am concerned we aren't blitzing enough.  I hope we become aggressive and go after them next week.  
Sendejo was the best I've ever seen from him. Should be up for Most Improved Player. Man, I have really been wrong about him.

I believe Zimmer blitzed selectively because of Brees. There aren't many in recent memory that can diagnose and beat a blitz like him.

Foles? Imma bet that's a whole nother thamg.

I'm concerned about the lack of pressure being generated.  I have to think Griff's foot is really affecting him.  

I'd seriously consider more of BRob at LDE and moving Hunter to RDE more.   The caveat is I don't know how much the game plan plays into what they are doing, Brees is a guy you almost wan tot keep in the pocket so that may have been a factor.

I'm just happy they came out of the by and played great the first half, they came down a little in the 2nd and maybe a combo of a bit of a let down, conservative calls, and NO having a HOF QB with some tendencies to exploit help swing things along with a couple key plays to swing momentum and quite the crowd a bit.

Just looking at some stats...

New Orleans ranked FIRST in NFL offense
Minnesota 8
Philly 10

Minnesota ranked FIRST in NFL defense
Philly is ranked 4th

Foles is a solid QB, but he's not Wentz...nor....Drew Brees.....If he starts trying to sling it because they are trailing, I'm not sure he's gonna have the same success Brees did.  Hoping Sendejo is doing ok.

Lack of pass rush is a concern and has been for weeks. We are not getting consistent pressure with the front four. Brees had way too much time in the second half for his receivers to run open. 

I think we will need to pass to set-up the run against Philly and might need to run more outside with McKinnon. I don't see us getting much of push up the middle with Cox being such a force on that defense and that is where Murray needs to run to be effective.  

Pass protection also broke down in the second half. Lots of inside pressure on Keenum. I hope Shurmur has some tricks up his sleeve for this game and we can get the short to medium passing game going against the Eagles defense who have struggled in the secondary. I like our run after the catch ability with Diggs, Thielen, and McKinnon if they get him in space.  

No.  This is Drew Brees.  The defense bent because the offense let up off the gas pedal and got way too conservative. The defense still allowed only 2 of 9 third down conversions.

The defense is elite, but teams will get their yards in a league where the rules very much favor offense and scoring.  

When you worry about the Viking D, is the days they are not disciplined in stopping the run  - 1st Detroit Game, Carolina.  when that happens, there is trouble