Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Eli getting benched for Geno ...
"Eli is about to cry"

LOFL...gold...pure gold...I got tears...

At some point we shed the purple, and become a little more reasonable.  

If Rodgers were injured for good and he was done - I would be happy for the implications to the vikings but would be sad for AR.  No matter how I dislike him. 

Same way I don't want AP to do poorly unless it helps the vikings.  

I think I got over his draft stuff long ago. I've always liked Eli for the same reason I cheer for an underdog; his brother is on a "chosen by the football gods" level, I think I've always rooted for him to do something better than his brother.

The consecutive start streak being canned is what bothers me the most. A lot of players have this "taken away" from them by serious injuries - to lose a 200+ consecutive start streak over this is trashy. Their season is over. Geno Smith isn't their QB next year, neither is the other guy. Bull----they "need to find out." They already know.

"It is what it is."   I won't argue against Eli having a pretty shitty season (on a shitty team). It's weird to go through the list of NFL iron men on the consecutive start list and think, "what if their coaches had benched them for 1 game" though.

CONSECUTIVE STARTS

1. Brett Favre - 297
2. Eli Manning - 210
3. Peyton Manning - 208
4. Phillip Rivers - 187
5. Matt Ryan - 126
6. Joe Flacco - 122
7. Ron Jaworski - 116
8. Tom Brady - 112
9. Tom Brady - 111

10t. Joe Ferguson - 107
10t. Matt Stafford - 107
12. Dan Marino - 95
13. Russell Wilson - 91
14. Roman Gabriel - 89
15. Johnny Unitas - 88

adding 7 more non active players...

16. Jim Everett - 87
17. Richard Todd - 86
18t. Aaron Brooks - 82
20. Trent Green - 81
21. Drew Brees - 79
24. Steve Grogan - 76
25t. Fran Tarkenton - 71
25t. Joe Theismann - 71

How many of these players streaks ended because they were benched?

Quote: @"BlackMagic7" said:
I think I got over his draft stuff long ago. I've always liked Eli for the same reason I cheer for an underdog; his brother is on a "chosen by the football gods" level, I think I've always rooted for him to do something better than his brother.

The consecutive start streak being canned is what bothers me the most. A lot of players have this "taken away" from them by serious injuries - to lose a 200+ consecutive start streak over this is trashy. Their season is over. Geno Smith isn't their QB next year, neither is the other guy. Bull----they "need to find out." They already know.

"It is what it is."   I won't argue against Eli having a pretty shitty season (on a shitty team). It's weird to go through the list of NFL iron men on the consecutive start list and think, "what if their coaches had benched them for 1 game" though.
But if you actually read what Eli said, he didn't want to start just to keep the streak alive.  Can't blame the Giants for wanting a look at the other QBs.  I know one is Geno, but you have to take a look. 

They told Eli he could continue starting for the streak (which would be stupid IMO and Eli agrees) but that they would be playing the other QBs as well.  Eli said no. 

And really, the idea of a streak is stupid unless it is real.  Favre's was real, he played through injuries and such.  But to artificially keep a streak alive shows what streaks mean.  Nothing.  Unless you are the top guy, who cares.

Kinda like old Bert giving Strahan the sack record.  Now it really means nothing.  Jared Allen should have the record.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
he's been our bitch...we've pretty much obliterated him every time we've faced him...
We can simply remember our observations of the games he's played against the Vikings and claim that.  The truth is that it actually IS the truth when you dig into the numbers! 
- 9 games (3-6)
- 54.3 completion percentage (3rd worst vs one team, worst against a team played more than four times) 
- 15 interceptions (most against all non-division teams)
- 56.1 rating (lowest against ALL teams)
- 3.91 adjusted yards/attempt (lowest against all teams)
- 189.6 yards/game (4th lowest)
- .56 tds/game (5 total)

So, it wouldn't be surprising for most Vikings fans to never want him on the team.  For me personally he's always been one of my least favorite players.  That Goober pout face has always irked the hell out of me.  I couldn't stand seeing him playing QB for the Vikings!!

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD said:
It's to bad the HOF doesn't equate greatness anymore than the probowl.  Eli has had some great years,  but that doesn't make him a great QB.
???
You concede he is a future Hall of Famer but dismiss that as insignificant. (By the way, that strikes me as pretty ironic considering your signature: "Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?") There probably are not many (any?) mediocre modern day QBs in the HOF.

But you also ignore the rest of it: 2-time SB Champ and 2-time SB MVP and beating NE and Brady both times. Seems like the better argument would be that "he has lost a lot and is not close to the level he once was."  
Chucks abilities rewrote how teams would use the RB position going forward.  The style of play he showed the game has lasted for decades with very little improvement.  He set a new benchmark for the position and that makes him HOF worthy.

Eli has done nothing worthy of the HOF,  lots of players have multiple rings,  that doesn't make them HOF worthy IMO.  He is an above average QB but rarely ever in the discussion as one of the greats of his time and if he is mentioned it usually some east coast homer.  His MVP awards were a joke,  they can't give them to entire units so they default to the media darlings of the team.

And yes Barr,  it the silver spoon in his ass way he entered the league that irritates me most about Eli and his family.

I got a new jingle for peyton.... (sung to nationwide tune)  Eli is about to cry...

Would any of you getting worked up be shedding a tear if it was Rodgers getting pushed aside like this?  I think not.
Jimmy, your posts are usually very rational. This Eli stuff sounds a lot more like a personal grudge than an evaluation. Anyway, moving on. 

I don't know how I would react to the Packers trashing Rodgers. It's hard to believe they would. But to the extent I approve of it, I would have no problem admitting (1) that he is perhaps the single most talented QBs I have ever seen, and (2) that I am very biased against him for obvious reasons. And (3), he's a deuche.

Quote: @"SFVikingFan" said:
Crazy how much they've fallen since 11-5 last year.  To me, that points to the coach.  Although losing your top 3 WRs in a passing offense can't help matters much.

https://twitter.com/PLeonardNYDN/status/...1054743555
Not to mention no Run game no Oline.  That whole front office needs to be removed.  Start over with New GM, Coach and QB.

I wonder what interest Denver would have in Eli, they have a team in place just no QB.

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"JimmyinSD said:
It's to bad the HOF doesn't equate greatness anymore than the probowl.  Eli has had some great years,  but that doesn't make him a great QB.
???
You concede he is a future Hall of Famer but dismiss that as insignificant. (By the way, that strikes me as pretty ironic considering your signature: "Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?") There probably are not many (any?) mediocre modern day QBs in the HOF.

But you also ignore the rest of it: 2-time SB Champ and 2-time SB MVP and beating NE and Brady both times. Seems like the better argument would be that "he has lost a lot and is not close to the level he once was."  
Chucks abilities rewrote how teams would use the RB position going forward.  The style of play he showed the game has lasted for decades with very little improvement.  He set a new benchmark for the position and that makes him HOF worthy.

Eli has done nothing worthy of the HOF,  lots of players have multiple rings,  that doesn't make them HOF worthy IMO.  He is an above average QB but rarely ever in the discussion as one of the greats of his time and if he is mentioned it usually some east coast homer.  His MVP awards were a joke,  they can't give them to entire units so they default to the media darlings of the team.

And yes Barr,  it the silver spoon in his ass way he entered the league that irritates me most about Eli and his family.

I got a new jingle for peyton.... (sung to nationwide tune)  Eli is about to cry...

Would any of you getting worked up be shedding a tear if it was Rodgers getting pushed aside like this?  I think not.
Jimmy, your posts are usually very rational. This Eli stuff sounds a lot more like a personal grudge than an evaluation. Anyway, moving on. 

I don't know how I would react to the Packers trashing Rodgers. It's hard to believe they would. But to the extent I approve of it, I would have no problem admitting (1) that he is perhaps the single most talented QBs I have ever seen, and (2) that I am very biased against him for obvious reasons. And (3), he's a deuche.
I wouldn't call it personal...but I don't like smug arrogance.  Eli is Rodgers but not nearly the QB.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
I wouldn't call it personal...but I don't like smug arrogance.  Eli is Rodgers but not nearly the QB.
I wouldn't go that far.  Eli compares to Rogers in both skill and arrogance equally.