Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How much of Bridgewater do they need to see to get a bead on him?
Quote: @headhunt23 said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
They CAN still toll him, but have already stated they won't...
i dont fully believe that. yeah, thats what they said. but they invested a lot in him and if they are going to choose keenum over teddy (which i dont think they will), teddy wont resign for a back up role and rick would be derelict to allow teddy to walk out the door without compensation. i would think they toll him while working out a sign and trade. 

you dont toll him because you want to maintain a  good relationship. you do toll him if that aspect is no longer a consideration. the vikes invested a lot in teddy and the qb position since deciding he was the guy. they need to recoup some of that. 
its not just a matter of do it or dont do it.  its also a matter of does the team want to fight it out in court with the players union.  there is verbiage that says they can do it,  but Geoff has also said there is wording that based on availability that Teddys legal team could contest it.  if you are free agent looking at where to sign... how excited would you be to join a team that takes its players to court to force them play for less money?  contractual or not,  I dont see the team trying to enforce the "toll" unless things really go south quickly.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
its not just a matter of do it or dont do it.  its also a matter of does the team want to fight it out in court with the players union.  there is verbiage that says they can do it,  but Geoff has also said there is wording that based on availability that Teddys legal team could contest it.  if you are free agent looking at where to sign... how excited would you be to join a team that takes its players to court to force them play for less money?  contractual or not,  I dont see the team trying to enforce the "toll" unless things really go south quickly.
understood this isnt the first choice for some of the reasons you state (although I seriously doubt that a very narrow contractual situation is going to stop a free agent from joining a super bowl contender). 

but i do think either Teddy will be on the team next year or the Vikes will get compensation for him. i cant belive they let him walk out without anything. and if they get compensation for him, you can bet your last dollar they leveraged the tolling potential in those discussions. 

The team came out publicly and said they wouldn't toll Teddy. If they went back on their word that would be complete BS. I think they have more respect for Teddy than that, no matter what they have or haven't invested in him.

It would be in Teddy's interest to sign a 2 year extension, he gets better pay next year, insurance of another year if the knee causes any further problems, but maintains some leverage for a further extension if he stays healthy and plays well.  He also is more tradeable next year if he has a year or two left on a fair contract.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
It would be in Teddy's interest to sign a 2 year extension, he gets better pay next year, insurance of another year if the knee causes any further problems, but maintains some leverage for a further extension if he stays healthy and plays well.  He also is more tradeable next year if he has a year or two left on a fair contract.
best interest based on what?  and for how much is this 2 year deal?  I agree that he isnt likely to get mad starter money,  but if somebody ( and I think they will) wanted to poach him away they are likely going to be in the 15 million per year range or better IMO.  

I liked what Guru laid out in a proposed contract.   it had protections for the team,  it had good money for Teddy if he is here, and it had length as well as the ability to redo it after only a couple seasons.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@NodakViking said:
best interest based on what?  and for how much is this 2 year deal?  I agree that he isnt likely to get mad starter money,  but if somebody ( and I think they will) wanted to poach him away they are likely going to be in the 15 million per year range or better IMO.  

I liked what Guru laid out in a proposed contract.   it had protections for the team,  it had good money for Teddy if he is here, and it had length as well as the ability to redo it after only a couple seasons.

IF somebody tries to poach him it would mean he was a FA-it can get tied up in court before they let that happen.  My point was a short term guarantee is in his interest rather than a long term low money deal(unless they could agree on specific escalators/clauses)  He will et more money from MN right now than anywhere else if he looks as good as they have said.  No other teams have any of his medical info nor can they talk to him or his agent.  The worst thing he could do is end up in court and be tied up there while the first tier of FA's hit the market.

I doubt they want to give him just one year and more money and he wants his chance to cash in if he's healthy.  I don't remember what Guru laid out but he would be far better at estimating the specifics, I was making a more general statement.  Getting him done sooner might make help in the leverage Case has over the Vikings also-probably not much but he and his agent would know they have another good option.  I'd love to see both of them tied up for a few years.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
The team came out publicly and said they wouldn't toll Teddy. If they went back on their word that would be complete BS. I think they have more respect for Teddy than that, no matter what they have or haven't invested in him.
When?  

Get us that Super Bowl Trophy and we can talk about when Teddy needs to see the field.  No changes unless an injury forces it.  

Lets say Teddy does play and plays well and it causes a “split” in the lockerroom as to who is “their guy”.  I’d be so fucking pissed off at the head office for stirring up shit during this run of good.....   :# I can’t even type about it....  If it happens.... I’ll just be in the corner muttering..

This.... THIS is why we can’t have nice things!!!!!

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@prairieghost said:
When?  
 Do you want the exact date or something? It was something one of the talking heads said after either interviewing Rick or quoting him for a story.  Whether or not it was speculating or actually a direct quote I cannot answer. 
Either way, it would seem to be a bad business relationship move on the team's part, especially since they've got Teddy as the current backup to Case and it's clear they've seen enough to know he can play if needed.

Quote: @PapaScott said:
@prairieghost said:
When?  
https://vikefans.com/discussion/#/discus...ment/13034
Stardate 10192017.00