Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What's up with the subject titles?
my 2 cents... while I appreciate the work that Barr does to gather all those articles,  I do think it tends to overwhelm the board with stuff that although football related,  it is sometimes repetitive. ( same story, different news outlet) he does occasionally put the various outlets versions of the story in the same thread which is nice,  but we do end up with multiple threads at times, but I think that is just the nature of a message board.  people share stories they find and think other might find them interesting.  I think that is one negative of his creative freedom he exercises in his thread titles... only about half the time do I know what the hell the story is about and since he posts so damn many... I am not taking the time to even click on the threads unless I see others being active in it.  If the title isnt clearly saying what the story is about,  other posters are more likley to create a duplicate thread without even knowing that they are doing it.  Also for people stopping in the first time who arent away of Barrs sense of humor in titling the threads, they may just scroll right by as well without clicking??

would it be possible to have the existing news side Barr ( see what I did  there? Smile ) a member generated area for Barr and others to drop their links into if they dont want to add content with the posting?  They can still use the main board if they want to add to a story link with their own thoughts on the matter,  but if its simply to share an article put it off to the side.   If another poster wants to create a thread from a side bar link that would be great,  but it would maybe help generate more discussion in the threads that do have users participating in them.

Quote: @"RS Express" said:
Well I am GLAD BarrNone takes the time to put up those articles because

1. His thread titles sometimes give me a chuckle

2. NOT everything he posts is in the sidebar

3. Maybe I'm odd, but I pretty much scroll the board and ignore the sidebar.  

Keep it up Barr.. (insert Craig Ferguson formula joke here) 
My thoughts exactly. This is a bizarre, bewildering thread.

A post on the forum, whether it's a repeated news item or not, is an opportunity to discuss. That's why we're here, isn't it? 

FO•RUM noun. a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Still learning this new place.  I only skim the posts and agree with GV.  The creative titles do not often provide the information that would lead me to click on the post.  I mostly just skip over them and look for threads with discussion.  I follow three viking forums so there's always redundancy with links and not really a problem for me to skip his links since I probably saw it elsewhere.  I do appreciate Barr's effort though. 

Here's the bottom line: who's going to fucking put the stories here if Barr doesn't? Keep your biases aside, this board's mods are way too conservative. Its biased here now with moderation. Barr puts witty and clever spins too topics, is it that fucking hard to look at them and then decide to read them or not? They are all either Viking related or football topics. If you are so damn busy that you can't possibly take the extra 10 seconds it takes to open the thread and see if you want to read because (gasp!) the subject heading is ironically placed or worded, then hit the freakin' bricks. Too many candy asses here. 

I'm here to read about Viking's football. Barr posts MANY many stories about Viking's football. Its why I come, just like when P1 was here doing it. Did P1 and I got at it from time to time? Yep. But I always told him I appreciated all the stories he posted. I happen to personally like Barr and like what he posts here. I could not give two shits if people don't like his political slant, because thats where the kick back is coming from. I told Mike and Tom not to allow the political threads, but nope....they let it destroy the previous board. Now its here again. Same bullshit. But honestly, its a message board. Pretty normal shit actually. So we'll continue to nitpick and rip each other of different political bents.

So we pick sides. Its how it goes.

Don't blow a gasket there sticky!  Thought forums were for discussion?  Many of Barr's titles are clear and I do appreciate those but may skip over the others.  Sorry never have read every post in ANY forum.

You're a funny man Sticky, you claim that you told Tom andMike that allowing political posts here would destroy the place. Yet you were never shy in jumping into everyone of them and call people names like Neo-Cons and such,  but sure feel better about yourself that you were the one that warned Tom and Mike.  Congratulations!!! 

just wanted to let Barr know your work is appreciated bud. It is so nice to have content posted and love the commentary.  Skol brother

[Image: fjfbbnxj4e19.jpg]

Let me add my 2¢...I did a quick look at the last six pages of the board, here's what I found:

Page 1 (current page) I started 17 threads of which 17 are pretty much verbatim from the linked article.

Page 2 I started 28 threads, 25 which were pretty much verbatim

Page 3 I started 25 threads, 20 which were pretty much verbatim

Page 4 I started 21 threads, 20 which were pretty much verbatim

Page 5 I started 26 threads, 23 of which were pretty much verbatim

Page 6 I started 21 threads 20 of which were pretty much verbatim

All totaled, about 140 threads started, 90%+ which had either the exact subject line as the linked article or close enough as to not be confusing. 

For those that enjoy my sense of humor, I thank you. For those who don't, good news! Less than one out of ten of the threads I start annoy you!

Same shit different poster. 

How am I being negative? If I ask the person (whether it's Barr or anyone else) I get slammed for keeping people from posting football news. If I let it go I get slammed for allowing one person to post a whole bunch of articles. 

It's just non-stop. Seriously. 

We've done polls in the past to get the feeling of the community, and overwhelmingly the response was to allow the news... Especially in the dead zone of the off season.