Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuuudge
(08-13-2024, 01:03 PM)MaroonBells Wrote: I'm typically not one to jump on the "woe is us" wagon, but man there is sad and infuriating truth in this. And hell, she's not even including the Culpepper injury...

kyla@kylaer_
2016: Teddy Bridgewater hyped for breakout year

*murders his leg*

2017: Sam Bradford has performance of his life

*knee dies*

2023: Kirk Cousins MVP-like play

*tears achilles*

2024: JJ McCarthy shines in preseason opener

*tears meniscus*

Edit - I see the Pepp mention now. 

There is only one explanation - cursed. 

Nobody remembers Culpepper vs Carolina aNymore...

This is all very reminiscent of AP.

They had a choice back then to go full repair or do the trim.

Listening to Leber on KFAN, the full repair supposedly has fewer long-term risks (i.e. arthritis developing etc.) but obviously a much longer rehab. 

Given his age, tenure and being a QB, it would not surprise me at all if they got this route and 2024 becomes a true redshirt freshman year.

The rookie from Michigan likely will undergo surgery this week

O’Connell said McCarthy will not travel with the team to Cleveland, where the Vikings have joint practices scheduled with the Browns on Wednesday and Thursday before Saturday’s game. 

The team had planned for McCarthy, the 10th pick in the draft, to get more first-team work in the joint practices than he’d had all training camp. Instead, the Vikings will have to wait for the operation to determine how soon McCarthy could return to the field.

“Hopefully we’re having a shorter timeline than a longer timeline,” O’Connell said. “But the most important thing right now is making sure, from a medical standpoint, that we’ve identified the potential severity when we do that procedure.”

If the tear is small enough that McCarthy would only require a trim to the damaged cartilage, he could return in several weeks. 

Players often opt for a full meniscus repair, though, since the surgery typically yields better long-term results. The return from a full meniscus repair can take several months; if McCarthy needed a full repair, he’d likely miss most or all of his rookie season.

“What’s best for the long-term health of J.J. McCarthy will be the priority,” O’Connell said, adding he won’t be part of what he called “totally a medical decision.”

https://www.startribune.com/vikings-quar.../601105413

If this ends up being a true redshirt/recovery year for McCarthy and Darnold Darnold's his way through the season, chances are we go into next season with a likely top 10 pick to help bolster our drfensive front or secondary (Travis Hunter anyone?), McCarthy coming back with a learning year under his belt as the starter, and cap money to be aggressive in free agency. We were all shooting for 2025 anyways and this might actually help with that impact.

(08-13-2024, 04:19 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: If this ends up being a true redshirt/recovery year for McCarthy and Darnold Darnold's his way through the season, chances are we go into next season with a likely top 10 pick to help bolster our drfensive front or secondary (Travis Hunter anyone?), McCarthy coming back with a learning year under his belt as the starter, and cap money to be aggressive in free agency. We were all shooting for 2025 anyways and this might actually help with that impact.

A full repair surgery will certainly shut down the discussion of seeing him play this year...I suppose there are good things that can come from it, I dont feel much like leaning into those (yet) as a fan. 

Now, do they just hand the reigns over to him next year? With just part of 1 pre-season game under his belt??

Time will tell.

(08-13-2024, 04:19 PM)supafreak84 Wrote: If this ends up being a true redshirt/recovery year for McCarthy and Darnold Darnold's his way through the season, chances are we go into next season with a likely top 10 pick to help bolster our drfensive front or secondary (Travis Hunter anyone?), McCarthy coming back with a learning year under his belt as the starter, and cap money to be aggressive in free agency. We were all shooting for 2025 anyways and this might actually help with that impact.

even with JJM we would like be looking at a top 10 or so pick next draft, this really changes nothing IMO.

(08-13-2024, 04:49 PM)JimmyinSD Wrote: even with JJM we would like be looking at a top 10 or so pick next draft, this really changes nothing IMO.

I was encouraged that we could potentially make a run in the second half of the season with McCarthy under center. I just don't have that same confidence with Darnold and that's why I think if McCarthy is shelved for the season it certainly doesnt bode well for trying to make that run. It's like, damn...this one hurts even more after watching him play last weekend and the kind of ability he flashed. 

On another note, I'm pretty damn happy we didn't trade away our first next year trying to move up for a quarterback. That pick could go a long way towards the Vikings making a run in 2025.
[-] The following 3 users Like supafreak84's post:

What a cascade of pain since we were foolish enough to be optimistic going into July.

Khyree
Blackmon blows ACL on first day of TC
McCarthy tears meniscus in first preseason game.

It's like we're not allowed to even begin to have hope before WHAM the next anvil drops.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RS_Express's post:

(08-13-2024, 11:53 PM)RS_Express Wrote: What a cascade of pain since we were foolish enough to be optimistic going into July.

Khyree
Blackmon blows ACL on first day of TC
McCarthy tears meniscus in first preseason game.

It's like we're not allowed to even begin to have hope before WHAM the next anvil drops.

True, I'm 50+ years in and I was foolish. This is like a never-ending story.

Let me name just a few more;
Kory Stringer
AP spanks his son, gone for season
Ponder doesn't play in the playoff game and we get Joe Webb
Sam Bradford
....Everyone knows that I could keep going here.

I will end this post with a line from one of my favorite movies; 12 Angry men
"I'm telling you everything that's gone on has been twisted and turned."

Don't forget Chip Meyers dying right before the 1999 season started. He was a Billick protege and was going to be our offensive coordinator. That is why the offense didn't duplicate 1998.
Another what if.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Chuckf's post:

Don't forget about O-line coach Tony Sparano dying.
[-] The following 3 users Like StickierBuns's post: