Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UPDATE: NFL might 'drop the hammer' on the Falcons for tampering
The Falcons tampering with Cousins had become pretty high profile NFL news - a team and its owner had flagrantly violated one of the NFL's rules. This could result in a big punishment coming on the heels of free agency plus a hefty fine for Arthur Blank, one of Goodell's billionaire bosses.

But that is not the kind of news the NFL likes to make. This could be a real distraction from the NFL's premiere off-season event. Not good. Better for the NFL to let this die down for a while and revisit the situation in a year where the Falcons' tampering will be a distant memory. Then a quiet resolution can be ordered at a time when the Falcons and the Vikings are not so linked as they are now that Cousins has left one team for the other due in part (potentially) to tempering.

I'm ok with this delay because whatever draft capital the Vikings were to receive in this draft, they would simply package it to get a projection QB. KAM will likely send NE or Az. picks 8, 11, 23, next year's first, 2026 first, ... whatever it takes to "get your guy." I am against trading significant draft capital to move up for Maye or JJ. So let the Vikings trade all of their first round picks into the foreseeable future this year and hopefully get something in compensation from the Falcons next year that they cannot trade away in this draft.

(04-23-2024, 06:47 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: I wouldn't put it past the Falcons to do something "Falcon-esque" and pick a QB at 8, sit a year and learn from Cousins, instead of shoring up their crappy D.

Here's something to think about....What kind of reception will Cousins get at USB, running out on the field next season?

going to really depend on the game time, you let kids get good and soaked up for an afternoon or primetime affair, I suspect he gets the public enemy #1 treatment, noon start it will be a mixed response but mostly positive. early in the season when we still are full of hope, pretty good, later in the year when injuries have once again mounted and reality is smacking us in the face, there will be people burning and looting Kohls in anger.
[-] The following 1 user Likes JimmyinSD's post:

(04-23-2024, 07:07 PM)dadevike Wrote: The Falcons tampering with Cousins had become pretty high profile NFL news - a team and its owner had flagrantly violated one of the NFL's rules. This could result in a big punishment coming on the heels of free agency plus a hefty fine for Arthur Blank, one of Goodell's billionaire bosses.

But that is not the kind of news the NFL likes to make. This could be a real distraction from the NFL's premiere off-season event. Not good. Better for the NFL to let this die down for a while and revisit the situation in a year where the Falcons' tampering will be a distant memory. Then a quiet resolution can be ordered at a time when the Falcons and the Vikings are not so linked as they are now that Cousins has left one team for the other due in part (potentially) to tempering.

I'm ok with this delay because whatever draft capital the Vikings were to receive in this draft, they would simply package it to get a projection QB. KAM will likely send NE or Az. picks 8, 11, 23, next year's first, 2026 first, ... whatever it takes to "get your guy." I am against trading significant draft capital to move up for Maye or JJ. So let the Vikings trade all of their first round picks into the foreseeable future this year and hopefully get something in compensation from the Falcons next year that they cannot trade away in this draft.

KAM just refused to overpay for Kirk,  why would he now overpay for his replacement?  He has stated there is a walking away point on any trade,  just like he said with Kirks deal.  I dont think he will get stupid.... even if I end up being pissed at what he does give up,  its likely due to KOCs conviction on a certain player.

(04-23-2024, 06:47 PM)Vanguard83 Wrote: I wouldn't put it past the Falcons to do something "Falcon-esque" and pick a QB at 8, sit a year and learn from Cousins, instead of shoring  up their crappy D

Boy, that would be a trick if a $180M deal with guarantees of $100M gave the Falcons ability to move on after a year.

(04-23-2024, 08:08 PM)mnnightowl Wrote: Boy, that would be a trick if a $180M deal with guarantees of $100M gave the Falcons ability to move on after a year.

They’d have to wait until the next year. They can cut Kirk after two years and have a measly $25m in dead cap.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4026...ikely-week

The more I read on this, the more I think Minnesota will get something substantial. My guess: a 2nd round pick.

(06-03-2024, 05:59 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4026...ikely-week

The more I read on this, the more I think Minnesota will get something substantial. My guess: a 2nd round pick.

Hope so. I still think it's more likely Falcons get a pick taken and we get nothing, but if the NFL determines that the Vikings negotiations with Cousins were damaged by the tampering, they could be part of this. Either way, I like reading that the punishment could be severe for the dirty birds.

On the Kirk topic, starting to hear some rumblings about his injury and maybe not making it back to start the season and maybe not ever be 100%.  This was one of the underscored reasons I wanted to move away from him, and it seemed like most posters just brushed it aside.  He is an older QB coming of Achilles tear.  

Doctor casts doubt on Kirk Cousins' recovery with Falcons (msn.com)

Also, even if we got held for ransom another year, I would have wanted a QB of the future in the first round like JJ.  The Falcons did the same thing and are getting grilled for it.  Doesn't matter one bit if Penix is leading them to the playoffs in 2 year's time.  Not that I think he will.  Just that you need a solid progression plan at the most important position in sports.  Both Minnesota and Atlanta have one now.
[-] The following 1 user Likes minny65's post:

(06-03-2024, 05:59 AM)StickierBuns Wrote: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/4026...ikely-week

I'm guessing we'll get nothing, but I'd love to get a pick from Atlanta since we currently just have our 1st and two 5ths (with a comp 3rd likely ). 

If the inside sources are correct, it probably won't be as severe as Miami, but more than Kansas City's punishment.  Falcons may end up forfeiting a 2025 2nd and a late round 2026 pick. 

Either way, I hope they get punished if they tampered regardless of how badly (or not) we wanted to get Cousins back.  Everyone talks, but if you're flagrantly violating the rules you need to get hit.

(06-03-2024, 08:44 AM)minny65 Wrote: On the Kirk topic, starting to hear some rumblings about his injury and maybe not making it back to start the season and maybe not ever be 100%.  This was one of the underscored reasons I wanted to move away from him, and it seemed like most posters just brushed it aside.  He is an older QB coming of Achilles tear.  

Doctor casts doubt on Kirk Cousins' recovery with Falcons (msn.com)

Also, even if we got held for ransom another year, I would have wanted a QB of the future in the first round like JJ.  The Falcons did the same thing and are getting grilled for it.  Doesn't matter one bit if Penix is leading them to the playoffs in 2 year's time.  Not that I think he will.  Just that you need a solid progression plan at the most important position in sports.  Both Minnesota and Atlanta have one now.

Dr. Morse? Pfffft. Wtf does that guy know? Dr. Maroonbells has assured me that Kirko cannot possibly have any issues.