Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Gmen or Vikings in Better Position for Top QB Prospect?
Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Even though Daniel Jones' play last season was often dreadful, it's not the primary reason the New York Giants might consider moving on from the quarterback.ESPN's Jordan Raanan reported that Jones' "injury history is what has the team contemplating moving on."
New York did add insurance at the position in free agency. Drew Lock got a one-year deal worth $5 million.
Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider added more intrigue to the move when he told Seattle Sports Radio 710 AM (h/t NFL.com's Kevin Patra) they tried to bring back Lock, but the Giants "sold him on the opportunity to compete to be the starter" in 2024.
Lock disputed Schneider's account, telling reporters during his introductory Zoom call it was "conveyed" to him that Jones was their starting quarterback.
Dan Duggan @DDuggan21Drew Lock is having an introductory zoom. Here's what he said about his message from the Giants: "Daniel Jones is the starter of this team. That's been conveyed to me." https://t.co/Irz74bfaYw
Giants head coach Brian Daboll told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero on Saturday that Jones will "be the guy" when he's medically cleared.
"We're excited to have Drew, and he knows what his role is going to be," Daboll said. "He's going to get a lot of reps this spring, he needs to learn our system, but again excited to get Daniel back, when he gets back he'll be the guy."
The 26-year-old Jones suffered a torn ACL in a loss to the Las Vegas Raiders on Nov. 5. That was his first game back after sitting out three straight weeks due to a neck injury.
This is yet another reason the Giants' decision to give Jones a four-year, $160 million contract last offseason made little sense at the time and looks even worse now.
Even if you go with the argument that Jones was coming off his best season in 2022 and they weren't expecting him to suffer a major knee injury, durability wasn't his greatest asset early in his career.
Jones missed two games during the 2020 season due to hamstring and ankle injuries. He suffered a neck injury that kept him out for the final five games of the 2021 campaign.
The 2022 season was the only time Jones has played in at least 16 games. They could have simply used the franchise tag on him last year to see if he could replicate his success from 2022, but they decided to bet big on him.
New York's play went bust, as Jones threw for 909 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions before his 2023 came to an end.
Moving on from Jones would cost the Giants a $47.1 million dead-cap charge if he's designated as a post-June 1 cut, per Over the Cap.
One good thing that can be said about Jones' contract is all of the guaranteed money is paid out in the first two years, so the team would save $30.5 million against the cap in 2025 if he's released after June 1.
Raanan noted Giants officials met with the consensus top six quarterbacks at the NFL scouting combine. They are expected to bring in most of the top signal-callers for private workouts leading up to the draft.
SNY's Connor Hughes reported on March 15 that Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy is considered "the player the Giants want" by some people within the league.
The Giants are in a good position to land a quarterback early in the first round if they want to go that route. They own the No. 6 overall pick and could look to trade up, especially if they are concerned a team selecting behind them will also be aggressive in trying to make a move..
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114126-giants-rumors-daniel-jones-injury-history-not-play-has-ny-considering-moving-on?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Jones is 26 years old. Darnold is 26. Baker Mayfield was what, 25 or 26 when Cleveland gave up on him. Mac Jones is 25. These teams will cut bait and move on to the next 'savior' in record time today in the NFL. So in the nature vs nurture equation for the NFL rookie QBs, shouldn't organizations look at what they are offering fundamentally and foundationally to these young kids? The strikeout rate is so high JUST because of the nature side? It can't be, not 100%. 

I think we went from hoping Arizona wanted to trade down to hoping they DON'T want to trade down. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Even though Daniel Jones' play last season was often dreadful, it's not the primary reason the New York Giants might consider moving on from the quarterback.ESPN's Jordan Raanan reported that Jones' "injury history is what has the team contemplating moving on."
New York did add insurance at the position in free agency. Drew Lock got a one-year deal worth $5 million.
Seattle Seahawks general manager John Schneider added more intrigue to the move when he told Seattle Sports Radio 710 AM (h/t NFL.com's Kevin Patra) they tried to bring back Lock, but the Giants "sold him on the opportunity to compete to be the starter" in 2024.
Lock disputed Schneider's account, telling reporters during his introductory Zoom call it was "conveyed" to him that Jones was their starting quarterback.
Dan Duggan @DDuggan21Drew Lock is having an introductory zoom. Here's what he said about his message from the Giants: "Daniel Jones is the starter of this team. That's been conveyed to me." https://t.co/Irz74bfaYw
Giants head coach Brian Daboll told NFL Network's Tom Pelissero on Saturday that Jones will "be the guy" when he's medically cleared.
"We're excited to have Drew, and he knows what his role is going to be," Daboll said. "He's going to get a lot of reps this spring, he needs to learn our system, but again excited to get Daniel back, when he gets back he'll be the guy."
The 26-year-old Jones suffered a torn ACL in a loss to the Las Vegas Raiders on Nov. 5. That was his first game back after sitting out three straight weeks due to a neck injury.
This is yet another reason the Giants' decision to give Jones a four-year, $160 million contract last offseason made little sense at the time and looks even worse now.
Even if you go with the argument that Jones was coming off his best season in 2022 and they weren't expecting him to suffer a major knee injury, durability wasn't his greatest asset early in his career.
Jones missed two games during the 2020 season due to hamstring and ankle injuries. He suffered a neck injury that kept him out for the final five games of the 2021 campaign.
The 2022 season was the only time Jones has played in at least 16 games. They could have simply used the franchise tag on him last year to see if he could replicate his success from 2022, but they decided to bet big on him.
New York's play went bust, as Jones threw for 909 yards with two touchdowns and six interceptions before his 2023 came to an end.
Moving on from Jones would cost the Giants a $47.1 million dead-cap charge if he's designated as a post-June 1 cut, per Over the Cap.
One good thing that can be said about Jones' contract is all of the guaranteed money is paid out in the first two years, so the team would save $30.5 million against the cap in 2025 if he's released after June 1.
Raanan noted Giants officials met with the consensus top six quarterbacks at the NFL scouting combine. They are expected to bring in most of the top signal-callers for private workouts leading up to the draft.
SNY's Connor Hughes reported on March 15 that Michigan quarterback J.J. McCarthy is considered "the player the Giants want" by some people within the league.
The Giants are in a good position to land a quarterback early in the first round if they want to go that route. They own the No. 6 overall pick and could look to trade up, especially if they are concerned a team selecting behind them will also be aggressive in trying to make a move..
https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10114126-giants-rumors-daniel-jones-injury-history-not-play-has-ny-considering-moving-on?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_medium=referral&utm_campaign=editorial

Jones is 26 years old. Darnold is 26. Baker Mayfield was what, 25 or 26 when Cleveland gave up on him. Mac Jones is 25. These teams will cut bait and move on to the next 'savior' in record time today in the NFL. So in the nature vs nurture equation for the NFL rookie QBs, shouldn't organizations look at what they are offering fundamentally and foundationally to these young kids? The strikeout rate is so high JUST because of the nature side? It can't be, not 100%. 
obviously some teams get into those 2nd contracts, but I think the cost of those 2nd contracts is what get teams to hit the eject button so soon on some of those QBs.  its just not worth getting sucked into a Jones type contract for a bottom 1/3 QB when you can typically find a rebound veteran QB for less money and similar if not better results, and most often on shorter term deals so less risk.   Sure they may finally find the light in a new surround, but that may not have ever happened in your house.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I think we went from hoping Arizona wanted to trade down to hoping they DON'T want to trade down. 
If we believe (that they believe) anyone moving up to 5 is for a QB? Then that holds very true. Moving to #4 is the way to go if your MN and love one of the qb's near the top. But you may not get a willing trade partner ala 2023. 

The closer we get to April, the less likely I see us having a path to one of the consensus top 4. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
If we believe (that they believe) anyone moving up to 5 is for a QB? Then that holds very true.

The closer we get to April, the less likely I see us having a path to one of the consensus top 4. 

The way I see it, our biggest fear is the Giants moving from 6 to 4 for the 4th QB. So I think we want the Cards to fall in love with MHJ and take him at 4. If they see MHJ and Nabers as equals (as many do) they could take the Giants trade and still get one of them. 

I think the Vikings should be able to trade with the Chargers at 5, but if the QBs go 1, 2, 3, 4, it's not going to do them any good.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
If we believe (that they believe) anyone moving up to 5 is for a QB? Then that holds very true.

The way I see it, our biggest fear is the Giants moving from 6 to 4 for the 4th QB. So I think we want the Cards to fall in love with MHJ and take him at 4. If they see MHJ and Nabers as equals (as many do) they could take the Giants trade and still get one of them. 

I think the Vikings should be able to trade with the Chargers at 5, but if the QBs go 1, 2, 3, 4, it's not going to do them any good.
Agreed - and that answers the question of who's in a better position to get QB4. 

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Agreed - and that answers the question of who's in a better position to get QB4. 

This would be just about the most Vikings scenario ever. Then we can all say how unlucky it was, how unheard of it was, for QBs to go 1-2-3-4, and that’ll all be true, but we’ll still be left without a date on prom night.

I know I’d sleep better if we secured a deal into the top 4 yesterday, but nothing can ever be easy can it? Fingers crossed until draft night!

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"Knucklehead" said:
@"dadevike" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
I would not be upset if we left the draft with a top DE and DT. Then took Rattler in the 3rd or similar. 

Our 1st next year is going to be high. If the guy isnt there, don’t freak out. 
Next year's QB class looks not great. But its all subjective, I suppose. 
Too early to tell but this could be way off. There may be so much QB talent coming out next year that some underclassmen will go back to college just to avoid that draft class. In no particular order we have:
Sanders
Ewers
Milroe
Beck 
Leonard
Ward
Rising
Allar
Klubnick
And let's see about Will Howard at Ohio State.

And there will probably be more. At this point last year we were not viewing Daniels as a top 15 pick. It would not be unusual for someone not listed above to crash the top 10 party. Also very likely a couple of these guys will have a down year. My point really is that there is no need to panic if we don't come away with a top 4 QB in this draft. I think we are headed in the right direction.

Sanders & Beck are the only QBs on this list that intrigue me. Ewers would be no higher than QB7 if he was in this draft. As you stated, it wouldn't be unusual for someone not listed to crash the top 10. However, in that situation you're trying to evaluate them only on their 2025 tape. Whereas, in this draft Daniels, Nix, Penix, Rattler all have multiple years of tape to evaluate.
I want absolutely nothing to do with Sanders anywhere near the Vikings.  I hate the notion of using our 25 first round pick to get up higher in this draft,  but if the alternative was to end up with Sanders,  I say lets go get our guy in 24.  That kid has shit show circus written all over him.  Imagine the press and lockeroom implosion when Sub Prime doesnt approve of how his kid is getting coached,  or the play calling?  Nope,  please keep that disease out of Minny.
Agree Jimmy.  Remember, Daddy Prime said he doesn't want his kid to play in a cold city.  
I think he's got "prima donna" attitude, I don't care what his athletic ability might be.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

This would be just about the most Vikings scenario ever. Then we can all say how unlucky it was, how unheard of it was, for QBs to go 1-2-3-4, and that’ll all be true, but we’ll still be left without a date on prom night.

I know I’d sleep better if we secured a deal into the top 4 yesterday, but nothing can ever be easy can it? Fingers crossed until draft night!
I've already prepped myself, suggest you do the same lol!
 Hope you love PEnix or Nix. 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:

Throw in Justin Fields and Zach Wilson and Trey Lance and . . . It's not all on the player. It can't be.