Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Are the Gmen or Vikings in Better Position for Top QB Prospect?

Interesting angle from the lens of the Giants world...KAM acquired some additional fire-power. Will it be enough to supplant a #8 pick? That depends...

Are the Giants or Vikings in better position to get a top quarterback prospect?Gentlemen, start your (trade-up) engines
As Chris Pflum reported, the landscape for the New York Giants acquiring one of the top quarterback prospects in the 2024 NFL Draft just got more complicated, with the Minnesota Vikings acquiring an additional first-round pick and the Los Angeles Chargers trading wide receiver Keenan Allen after releasing his teammate Mike Williams the previous day.

Are the Giants or the Vikings in the more advantageous position to go “get their guy” next month? (We’ll assume that Drew Lock is “not their guy.”) Let’s look at what trade value calculators can tell us, depending on who the trading partner is

https://www.bigblueview.com/2024/3/17/24101932/are-the-giants-or-vikings-in-better-position-to-get-a-top-quarterback-prospect

This article does an excellent job of summarizing the trade up situation. There's no doubt that it's the NYG who are now our primary competition in a trade up.

Quote: @"Knucklehead" said:
This article does an excellent job of summarizing the trade up situation. There's no doubt that it's the NYG who are now our primary competition in a trade up.
I thought so too...

OF course you still got Denver and Las Vegas, but Gmen @ 8 are the more formidable team. 

I like what KAM did, but its not a guarantee at all it nets us "our guy"

The Giants are a franchise floundering in mediocrity.  They sign Daniel Jones to a big money contract then decide oh we made a mistake, we better draft another quarterback high in the draft instead of taking a player at another position to help move the team forward.  There are a lot of players available at @8 that, for them would help improve their team.  So many teams have taken quarterbacks high in the draft or given out huge contracts to a guy they thought was their franchise quarterback to just say no your not the guy and start all over again with a rookie.

Quote: @"Greylock" said:
The Giants are a franchise floundering in mediocrity.  They sign Daniel Jones to a big money contract then decide oh we made a mistake, we better draft another quarterback high in the draft instead of taking a player at another position to help move the team forward.  There are a lot of players available at @8 that, for them would help improve their team.  So many teams have taken quarterbacks high in the draft or given out huge contracts to a guy they thought was their franchise quarterback to just say no your not the guy and start all over again with a rookie.

After this draft we might be thankful for Ed Donatell

Alternatively, if we are sitting at 11 and the big 4 are gone, we can try to trade back with a team desperate for the next WR, Edge, or OT. Take a 2d or 3d this year plus a 1st in 2025. We still have a pick at 23 and we would have 2 first rounders in 2025 so we could try it again next year when, hopefully, there will be fewer teams in desperate need of a QB. We could still take Penix at 23 if KAM and KOC like him enough or just go into the season with Darnold as the starter. If he does great, then great; he becomes our Baker Mayfield. If he sucks, we will have a high first round pick next year plus whatever other first round pick we got in the trade. 

We will be salary cap rich next year and will likely have at least one third round compensatory pick (though we will not have second rounder next year). No need to freak out if we miss out on the top 4. I am wary of spending a ton of draft capital on Maye or JJM. Highly unlikely that all 4 of the top QBs turn out to be franchise QBs. Much more likely that 2 or 3 will bust.

Are the Giants really looking for a QB?  According to Drew Lock, the Giants told him Daniel Jones was their starter when he signed and apparently they told the same to Russell Wilson when they were checking in on him.  Kind of feels like the media is making it sound like the Giants are looking for a QB, but it sounds like the team is committed to Daniel Jones for at least one more year.  Also think his contract is easier to get out of after this season... 

Quote: @"dadevike" said:
Alternatively, if we are sitting at 11 and the big 4 are gone, we can try to trade back with a team desperate for the next WR, Edge, or OT. Take a 2d or 3d this year plus a 1st in 2025. We still have a pick at 23 and we would have 2 first rounders in 2025 so we could try it again next year when, hopefully, there will be fewer teams in desperate need of a QB. We could still take Penix at 23 if KAM and KOC like him enough or just go into the season with Darnold as the starter. If he does great, then great; he becomes our Baker Mayfield. If he sucks, we will have a high first round pick next year plus whatever other first round pick we got in the trade. 

We will be salary cap rich next year and will likely have at least one third round compensatory pick (though we will not have second rounder next year). No need to freak out if we miss out on the top 4. I am wary of spending a ton of draft capital on Maye or JJM. Highly unlikely that all 4 of the top QBs turn out to be franchise QBs. Much more likely that 2 or 3 will bust.
This is such a logical and good take… BUT… not gonna lie I’m gonna be bummed out if we don’t leave this draft with THE GUY. It feels like our moment. Don’t get me wrong I’ll convince myself of anything in the months following the draft and prior to training camp because my delusion is strong, but I’ll be a lot more excited with a decisive move for a QB (any QB! Really!). Even if it’s Penix at 3, that tells me the powers that be love him so much they left nothing to chance and he’s our guy no matter what.

Taking leftovers at 23 or even 11 will feel so much different even if it winds up working out great longterm. I want my chocolate cake and I want it on 4/25 dammit!

Quote: @"Wetlander" said:
Are the Giants really looking for a QB?  According to Drew Lock, the Giants told him Daniel Jones was their starter when he signed and apparently they told the same to Russell Wilson when they were checking in on him.  Kind of feels like the media is making it sound like the Giants are looking for a QB, but it sounds like the team is committed to Daniel Jones for at least one more year.  Also think his contract is easier to get out of after this season... 
I honestly don't know how committed they are to Danny Dimes or not? And for how long???

Yah, they wrote the contract for a much easier out in 25. He would be good to keep around in 24 for the rook to sit behind. 

At #8 the Giants will have some talent to choose from for sure; WR, OL, DL...

I don't think the Giants take a QB, even at 6. And I sure as hell don't think they use draft assets to move up for one, considering all their needs. With Jones $70M dead, Drew Lock just signed for $5M and that Danny Devito guy as a pretty good QB3, it just seems like a really awkward place for a rookie QB. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootbal...n-for-2024