Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sam Darnold, new Viking's QB
Quote: @HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
Are the other NFCN teams paying Kwesi's salary by any chance?  It almost
seems intentional how he's making this roster crappier each off-season and void of any rational winning team plan.
Looks bleak right now, but you can see they are signing FAs. If they can hit on a QB in this Draft they like, its a plan that would be considered coming together. KAM needed some flexibility from the cap, that's what he worked toward each year....getting out of the cap hole. They'll have a shitload of cap room next year. They tried to resign Cousins.....are we going to blame KAM for not matching a 4 year contract with the guarantees Atlanta put in there? Not with a straight face.
I don't entirely blame KAM for not signing Cousins.  Actually, I now
hope Cousins falls flat on his dorky face in Atlanta.  The fact that KAM
doesn't have a reasonable succession plan for QB in year three of his
"rebuild" is his fault, however.  Did the Vikes believe Cousins when he
said he wanted to stay a Viking?  Seems like they did, but Kirk showed
them he only wanted to stay a Viking if they gave him the most
guaranteed money.I guess I blame Kwesi and Kirk equally. 
Kwesi has egg on his face (again) while "gosh, gee, golly good guy" Kirk is flipping him "the bird"
on his way to the Falcons.
The Vikes don't have a QB now, and everyone here knows they won't come close to playoffs without one.  They went from having the best NFCN QB to the worst in year 3 of Kwesi's rebuild.
...um:

no, I think you're missing the biggest part of Atlanta's deal- it's for 4 years.

Kirk wants to keep playing, the Vikings were looking for a short "bridge" contract. Given that some very good QBs have played to and past 40, Kirk thinks he can do the same and wanted the option. The Vikings didn't offer that.

The contract sounds huge, but it's still $10 million per season below current top dollar...and it's not all guaranteed, despite assumptions of that being a sticking point with the Vikings.

So, while I'll always pull for the Vikings above all others, I'll be watching Kirko's career...and, if he has a better 4 years with Atlanta than the Vikings do without with, both KAM and the haters can add that to the ways that the Kohl's Cash Dork proved them wrong.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
seems intentional how he's making this roster crappier each off-season and void of any rational winning team plan.
Looks bleak right now, but you can see they are signing FAs. If they can hit on a QB in this Draft they like, its a plan that would be considered coming together. KAM needed some flexibility from the cap, that's what he worked toward each year....getting out of the cap hole. They'll have a shitload of cap room next year. They tried to resign Cousins.....are we going to blame KAM for not matching a 4 year contract with the guarantees Atlanta put in there? Not with a straight face.
Kwesi has egg on his face (again) while "gosh, gee, golly good guy" Kirk is flipping him "the bird"
The Vikes don't have a QB now, and everyone here knows they won't come close to playoffs without one.  They went from having the best NFCN QB to the worst in year 3 of Kwesi's rebuild.
...um:

no, I think you're missing the biggest part of Atlanta's deal- it's for 4 years.

Kirk wants to keep playing, the Vikings were looking for a short "bridge" contract. Given that some very good QBs have played to and past 40, Kirk thinks he can do the same and wanted the option. The Vikings didn't offer that.

The contract sounds huge, but it's still $10 million per season below current top dollar...and it's not all guaranteed, despite assumptions of that being a sticking point with the Vikings.

So, while I'll always pull for the Vikings above all others, I'll be watching Kirko's career...and, if he has a better 4 years with Atlanta than the Vikings do without with, both KAM and the haters can add that to the ways that the Kohl's Cash Dork proved them wrong.
I can't root against Kirko.....I know I can't. He's a genuinely good dude. Atlanta offered him an amazing deal and his wife's family is from there. I wish the best for his career in Atlanta, I wish it could have finished in Minnesota. But that's not the situation. So fingers crossed KAM can pull this out of his ass and have the last laugh.

Quote: @Zanary said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
...um:

But money wasn't an issue for our beloved Kirko Chains, and he just wanted to stay a Viking.  Do you remember when he said that?  I guess maybe that wasn't the case.  Kirk talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Yep, "Mr Good Guy" Kirk won, and Kwesi's Vikes lost.  I'll never be cheering for Cousins.

@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
Kirk Cousins, a guy with young kids, asked for something absolutely crazy and selfish to many Vikings fans. He asked for clarity and peace regarding the last years of his career. For some crazy reason, he didn’t want to wind up a journeyman QB having to constantly move around on one year contracts while his kids grow up. Yep, how selfish of him to not go along with Kwesi’s plan to dump him for a rookie contract as soon as possible. 

The Vikings could have easily matched the contract of the Falcons, but they would have actually committed to something and Kwesi didn’t want to. He probably saw it as too risky. So they parted ways. 

Kirk Cousins was a standup guy every second he was here. When he was treated like hot garbage by Zimmer despite performing well, he didn’t say a word. He just kept upholding his end of the deal with continuous great performances despite a horrendous line the front office couldn’t find a fix for. 

Cousins took LESS MONEY than his market value the past couple of years so the team could get better defense. That’s how he ended up paid 15th in the league despite being a top 5 performer. 

This team has been subpar because of poor drafting, not Kirk Cousins. Had they hit on even a few defenders in round 1-3 the past 6 years this was a top 5 team and competitive for a Superbowl. They hit on basically no one. Kirk Cousins didn’t do that. Kirk Cousins didn’t push dead money into this year. KAM did that. He didn’t sign free agencts and didn’t draft poorly. Cousins had zero control over this roster and why its been a struggle. He did everything he could on his end and did it well.

Kirk Cousins has done zip wrong. He’s still paid around 8th in the league - his market contract based upon his performance. The Vikings wouldn’t give him any stability and that was their choice, not Kirk’s. 

I do not understand the reasoning of the "bridge qb" being this guy.  Pretty sure his ceiling has been achieved already.  Had potential and now is damaged goods i.m.o.  A "bridge qb", should, by design, be someone who will not only be the stopgap, but a functional one, giving the team a chance to win AND someone who can be a positive influence at the same time on the qb being groomed for the main role.  With that all in mind, please tell me why they would not go with Joe Flacco?  Probably similar contract.  Apples to apples, Flacco offers more upside to W's for the team, even at his age, than Darnold.  Add to that, JJ is most assuredly not getting warm and fuzzies on the direction of decisions that directly affect his receiving capabilities.  Let me see, Super Bowl MVP, Come-Back Player of the Year, versus Sam "I see dead people" Darnold behind center (which position is another topic altogether).   I do like Kevin O'Connell as a coach.  That said, I am trying to see the big picture here with the Kwesi regime, but there seems, from a fan standpoint, to be an inordinate number of missed opportunities and just plain fumbling of the football from a team management standpoint in decision-making and timing of those decisions.  Let's see where we go from here, but count me solidly among those losing faith one management decision at a time.  I hope the draft nets us a future great QB (seems we have all of our eggs in that basket, but all other teams drafting ahead of us now know that for sure) and we pick up some studs to fill other holes. 

Sam Darnold's last starting gig (with the Panthers):  11 starts, 59.9% completion, 9 TD, 13 INT, 71.9 rating, 33.2 QBR

Oh, and he had Christian McCaffery and DJ Moore

__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT__PRESENT

Quote: @CFIAvike said:
@JR44 said:
Darnold is not being brought in to be the guy, but to be the just in case guy and in that way he really is a solid signing.  Most teams eventually find themselves in this situation where they have to find their QB in the draft, not ideal, but sometimes you have to take your swing at it and with drafting higher that we usually do and with the moves we made yesterday it looks like we are putting ourselves in the best possible position to do what we need to get the QB we want. 
If you go by what Geoff says, the highest were lilely to trade is #5, which means the 4th best QB (ala McCarthy/Ponder). 

Darnold IS the guy this year as there’s no way McCarthy should even hold a clipboard this year, let alone sniff the field.  
The year Mayfield went #1 and Darnold went #3, Josh Allen was taken at #7, so you you really never know with these QB rankings who is going to be top NFL player, the year before Trubisky was taken at 2 and Mahomes at 10.

Quote: @medaille said:
Obviously, we didn’t have much of a non-Kirk plan since we
got Kirk, spanning 2 GMs and 2 Head Coaches, and that’s a huge negative on both
groups, and while I think it would have been nice to have Cousins as the bridge
QB while we find something better, I think it’s tough to keep committing to Cousins
for 3 years and also plan for building around a rookie while they are on their
rookie deal.  Like if we matched Atlanta’s
deal, we probably have no outs until after 3 years and then we’ve got a $40M dead
cap hit in year 4, assuming no restructuring. 
I also think while Cousins was the best bridge QB, and a guy that can
elevate you to the perimeter of the playoffs, there’s still not a lot of
evidence that he’s the guy that will take you deep into the playoffs, and for a
guy who’s in the upper half of his 30’s, you’d really hope there would be a
track record of winning and there’s not, so now you’re banking on the potential
of Kirk to be able to elevate his game compared to the potential of whichever
rookie we draft and $45M a year.  Like we
can’t even say that Cousins routinely got us to the playoffs.  6 years, 2 playoffs, 1 playoff win.
QB's can't get a team to playoffs anymore than a singular o-line, d-line, or any other position group if there are other and numerous position groups that play well below league averages. The evaluation of Cousins in particular in this vacuum, where it's assumed this team has been otherwise ready for a championship run if it weren't for his play/salary ratio, is some of the most quantitatively flawed analysis that seems to have developed a life of its own. Even if it defies all logic some find comfort in this fallacy. 

While ultimately, I agree that 4 yrs. @180 million is at this point of Kirk's career too rich, and I would have let him walk on, it appears there was no viable plan B. Sam Darnold is hot garbage proven to be unable to hold a starting job. A rookie QBOTF only has a 16-18% success rate of being (good to great). Every team needs 2 QBs, an above average and at least average QB. None of our backups are even average. We should have brought in a bridge that was at least average knowing he was likely to be our starter for most of the year. This staff sat back and let this play out instead of being proactive and aggressive before yesterday, now we're screwed, and it looks again like Kwesi is in the kiddie pool.   

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
Kirk Cousins, a guy with young kids, asked for something absolutely crazy and selfish to many Vikings fans. He asked for clarity and peace regarding the last years of his career. For some crazy reason, he didn’t want to wind up a journeyman QB having to constantly move around on one year contracts while his kids grow up. Yep, how selfish of him to not go along with Kwesi’s plan to dump him for a rookie contract as soon as possible. 

The Vikings could have easily matched the contract of the Falcons, but they would have actually committed to something and Kwesi didn’t want to. He probably saw it as too risky. So they parted ways. 

Kirk Cousins was a standup guy every second he was here. When he was treated like hot garbage by Zimmer despite performing well, he didn’t say a word. He just kept upholding his end of the deal with continuous great performances despite a horrendous line the front office couldn’t find a fix for. 

Cousins took LESS MONEY than his market value the past couple of years so the team could get better defense. That’s how he ended up paid 15th in the league despite being a top 5 performer. 

This team has been subpar because of poor drafting, not Kirk Cousins. Had they hit on even a few defenders in round 1-3 the past 6 years this was a top 5 team and competitive for a Superbowl. They hit on basically no one. Kirk Cousins didn’t do that. Kirk Cousins didn’t push dead money into this year. KAM did that. He didn’t sign free agencts and didn’t draft poorly. Cousins had zero control over this roster and why its been a struggle. He did everything he could on his end and did it well.

Kirk Cousins has done zip wrong. He’s still paid around 8th in the league - his market contract based upon his performance. The Vikings wouldn’t give him any stability and that was their choice, not Kirk’s. 
Maybe you can be the first one to nab the new Cousins Falcon's jersey - good for you. 

@Zanary said:
@HappyViking said:
@StickyBun said:
@HappyViking said:
...um:

But money wasn't an issue for our beloved Kirko Chains, and he just wanted to stay a Viking.  Do you remember when he said that?  I guess maybe that wasn't the case.  Kirk talks out of both sides of his mouth.  Yep, "Mr Good Guy" Kirk won, and Kwesi's Vikes lost.  I'll never be cheering for Cousins.
So, you'll ignore the central point of a post despite quoting it. Gotcha.

When you're the #1 or #2 free agent in the league, you're likely gonna get offered to get paid. Look it up.