Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
F.A. 2024 (No Kirk Zone)
Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
I know this is a no-Kirk thread, but signing him (or not) is going to dictate much of what we do in free agency. And not just because of the money.

If we let Kirk sign elsewhere, moving up in the draft for a QB who can start right away becomes much more of an imperative. And the cost to do so will require multiple future picks, requiring the Vikings to build their roster thru free agency instead of the draft. 
The other way of looking at it is that if we let Kirk go, we're shifting more towards being good long term, rather than immediately.  It's unlikely that the guy we draft or a bridge QB will just hit the ground running, so you don't want to spend a ton of resources to be good in 2024.  It's better to save them up, build the team with guys that make sense for the long term and push the chips in when the QB looks good, ideally in 2025.  We have a solid supporting cast for him to flourish in.  

[Image: rbe76kh773it.jpeg]

Dobbs, yeah he’d lead us to the promised land, ala a top 2 pick in ‘25… 
Confused 

Quote: @"Kentis" said:
[Image: rbe76kh773it.jpeg]

Dobbs, yeah he’d lead us to the promised land, ala a top 2 pick in ‘25… 
Confused 
Nah, They would win that game at the end of the year to pick 9th instead of 1,2,or 3.

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
We just wrote off $40 million in dead cap. Doing it all over again would tell me they need a new front office. The reason we have the $28 million in dead cap on Kirk is he agreed to a restructure (didn’t change his cash) so they could sign Davenport. To eat both those would show poor execution on Kwesi’s part. I thought it was a bad idea and I’m not at all surprised it bombed on them. 

Going to stay away from Kirk and assume he’s resigned. Draft a QB in one. 

Resign Davenport. It really sucked that he was injured last year as he’s been a very good player since he came in the league and he’s just 27. I don’t know if he wanted the short deal last year or if it was Kwesi. Kwesi seems like he’s a little gun shy about deals of any length, so it wouldn’t surprise me. They now know the cap, so hopefully he can keep a couple of these guys. 

I want Hunter back, but we all know he’s getting paid as he’s one of the best in the league at what he does. If it doesn’t happen, I hope they get Wonnum resigned. I don’t see he and Hunter both getting resigned. Even Wonnum is going to get a pretty substantial contract. 

Coming from outside the organization - I desperately want a penetrating defensive lineman. I don’t care if it’s a 3-4 Defensive end or tackle. They need someone to make a QB move out of the pocket quicker. I don’t care about sacks so much as pressures.

I’d like to see a solid corner picked up. I don’t care if he’s a little older if the contract is reasonable. It’s great to get that 26 year old, but they can get really spendy. I think these moves would put us in good shape pre-draft. I don’t see a need to do anything on offense other than maybe a restructure. A RB maybe if the price is right. In my world though, we already have a starter in Chandler. Otherwise, I’d target Tony Pollard.

If they get the defense where it needs to be, they can compete for a title now. 
With a $5M prove-it deal, which is what some are estimating, the Vikings will actually save money by resigning Davenport.
This is a big reason why I’d like to see him resigned and coming off the injury they may get him for a fair amount less than last year. 

With Wonnum, it depends on the contract. I’ve seen some estimates of $8 million a year and others in the $6.5. The $6.5 makes sense, the $8 not so much. To me, those two are decent pieces to have around for hopefully a decent price. 

If you have those guys, you know you have some decent players on the roster. D end and edge are positions that need rotation. Not eveyone is a freak like Hunter and can perform at a high level for an insane number of snaps. Wonnum took a huge number of snaps as well, but I think he’d be better cutting those down 30% like a normal edge. 

With these guys onboard, they can spend some cash on the line/edge in free agency, or target a big time player at corner. Franchise tags may clear a lot of the best guys out, so the remaining good ones won’t be cheap. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
We just wrote off $40 million in dead cap. Doing it all over again would tell me they need a new front office. The reason we have the $28 million in dead cap on Kirk is he agreed to a restructure (didn’t change his cash) so they could sign Davenport. To eat both those would show poor execution on Kwesi’s part. I thought it was a bad idea and I’m not at all surprised it bombed on them. 

Going to stay away from Kirk and assume he’s resigned. Draft a QB in one. 

Resign Davenport. It really sucked that he was injured last year as he’s been a very good player since he came in the league and he’s just 27. I don’t know if he wanted the short deal last year or if it was Kwesi. Kwesi seems like he’s a little gun shy about deals of any length, so it wouldn’t surprise me. They now know the cap, so hopefully he can keep a couple of these guys. 

I want Hunter back, but we all know he’s getting paid as he’s one of the best in the league at what he does. If it doesn’t happen, I hope they get Wonnum resigned. I don’t see he and Hunter both getting resigned. Even Wonnum is going to get a pretty substantial contract. 

Coming from outside the organization - I desperately want a penetrating defensive lineman. I don’t care if it’s a 3-4 Defensive end or tackle. They need someone to make a QB move out of the pocket quicker. I don’t care about sacks so much as pressures.

I’d like to see a solid corner picked up. I don’t care if he’s a little older if the contract is reasonable. It’s great to get that 26 year old, but they can get really spendy. I think these moves would put us in good shape pre-draft. I don’t see a need to do anything on offense other than maybe a restructure. A RB maybe if the price is right. In my world though, we already have a starter in Chandler. Otherwise, I’d target Tony Pollard.

If they get the defense where it needs to be, they can compete for a title now. 
With a $5M prove-it deal, which is what some are estimating, the Vikings will actually save money by resigning Davenport.
This is a big reason why I’d like to see him resigned and coming off the injury they may get him for a fair amount less than last year. 

With Wonnum, it depends on the contract. I’ve seen some estimates of $8 million a year and others in the $6.5. The $6.5 makes sense, the $8 not so much. To me, those two are decent pieces to have around for hopefully a decent price. 

If you have those guys, you know you have some decent players on the roster. D end and edge are positions that need rotation. Not eveyone is a freak like Hunter and can perform at a high level for an insane number of snaps. Wonnum took a huge number of snaps as well, but I think he’d be better cutting those down 30% like a normal edge. 

With these guys onboard, they can spend some cash on the line/edge in free agency, or target a big time player at corner. Franchise tags may clear a lot of the best guys out, so the remaining good ones won’t be cheap. 

That's just it. At a certain price point, there's a high potential reward at very little risk. I think that's why the Vikings put off the decision a bit. They may also want to have a better idea of where they are with Wonnum before making the Davenport decision. 

If you have half an hour at some point today, you should watch this. Luke Braun outlines a way the Vikings can sign everyone--Cousins, Hunter, Jefferson AND add a half dozen free agents including Saquon and DJ Reader. All without restructuring a single contract or adding any void years. I think he grossly underestimates the Cousins contract, but the rest sounds reasonable.

https://www.wusa9.com/video/sports/locke...f755def550

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
https://www.si.com/nfl/2024/02/29/zach-w...rius-sneed

With the possibility that Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones are traded in the coming weeks, there’s a pretty strong possibility that just one of five quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021 will remain with the team that drafted him. That one is Trevor Lawrence of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and that gives you one heck of a cautionary tale, especially when you consider that class was seen as a good one at the position, just like this year’s class is.

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:

With the possibility that Wilson, Justin Fields and Mac Jones are traded in the coming weeks, there’s a pretty strong possibility that just one of five quarterbacks drafted in the first round in 2021 will remain with the team that drafted him. That one is Trevor Lawrence of the Jacksonville Jaguars, and that gives you one heck of a cautionary tale, especially when you consider that class was seen as a good one at the position, just like this year’s class is.
Its why those that so easily want to discard Cousins might need to take a deeper dive into NFL Draft history.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:

Its why those that so easily want to discard Cousins might need to take a deeper dive into NFL Draft history.
That's it exactly. Before the draft, all these guys look great. All of that changes 2 or 3 years down the road. When the odds finally shake out, you're left with a painful truth: that the majority of even 1st round QBs do not work out. 

The 15 or so teams who list QB among their draft needs this year should tell us all we need to know. Mostly, that when you have a good one, you keep him...at least until you have a competent replacement.

The fact that the Vikings are getting legitimately close to losing the triggerman for what is probably the NFL's best WR/WR/TE group, hoping they roll 7s in the draft, is playing with fire. And it could be a decision this team regrets for decades.