Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm all in on JJ McCarthy
Quote: @kmillard said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@FLVike said:
If Jim Harbaugh is also "All-In' on JJ, would you trade 11 for Herbert straight up?
Yes in a second!! =)
Why? You ready to pay his $52M contract, which is $17M more than we were paying Kirk last season? All for a QB with a losing record and zero playoff wins? 
He's already shown he can play and is 25. Has all the skillset you could want in a young QB. I look forward to seeing him go deep in the playoffs with Harbaugh very soon. As for the contract the cap is a myth right?
if it were a myth,  then why cant the brain trusts we have had been able to put together a competent OL?  Just spend more mythical money ( seems to work for our govt )

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
As some have mentioned, I'd start to worry about Denver and Denver trading up. I might start talking to TN about their 7th pick for our 2nd rd pick next year.
Raiders also. Atlanta is taking a QB so I agree, 7 is the right spot.  But we are not getting it for next years 2. maybe 108 and 129 or our 2nd this year
We can't trade away this year's 2nd when we already don't have this year's 3rd.  We have some big holes to fill besides QBOTF.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
@Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
As some have mentioned, I'd start to worry about Denver and Denver trading up. I might start talking to TN about their 7th pick for our 2nd rd pick next year.
Raiders also. Atlanta is taking a QB so I agree, 7 is the right spot.  But we are not getting it for next years 2. maybe 108 and 129 or our 2nd this year
We can't trade away this year's 2nd when we already don't have this year's 3rd.  We have some big holes to fill besides QBOTF.
depending on what they do at QB and the other pending contracts ( Hunter, JJ etc ),  its sounds like we can fill a lot of holes through FA and back fill the contracts with 25 and 26 cap money,  just have to hope its for the right players,  and then the draft falls in a way that allows us to use what picks we have remaining to grab quality players at positions of need.

Quote: @kmillard said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@FLVike said:
If Jim Harbaugh is also "All-In' on JJ, would you trade 11 for Herbert straight up?
Yes in a second!! =)
Why? You ready to pay his $52M contract, which is $17M more than we were paying Kirk last season? All for a QB with a losing record and zero playoff wins? 
He's already shown he can play and is 25. Has all the skillset you could want in a young QB. I look forward to seeing him go deep in the playoffs with Harbaugh very soon. As for the contract the cap is a myth right?
OK, cool. Happy to hear we can just drop the whole "wins are a QB stat" thing. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
depending on what they do at QB and the other pending contracts ( Hunter, JJ etc ),  its sounds like we can fill a lot of holes through FA and back fill the contracts with 25 and 26 cap money,  just have to hope its for the right players,  and then the draft falls in a way that allows us to use what picks we have remaining to grab quality players at positions of need.
There's just a pretty hard rule that you build successful franchises through the draft. You can supplement a couple FA a year, but if you're counting on building your entire team on free agency, that says the organization has some deep problems, and it isn't sustainable in any way. This isn't baseball, and we aren't the Dodgers/Yankees...

@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
There's just a pretty hard rule that you build successful franchises through the draft. You can supplement a couple FA a year, but if you're counting on building your entire team on free agency, that says the organization has some deep problems, and it isn't sustainable in any way. This isn't baseball, and we aren't the Dodgers/Yankees...
Oh,  I know that,  but we screwed that rule when we keep trading away draft picks for players that may, or more often than not, may not pan out.  But honestly salary cap is salary cap,  if you find a handfull of guys that in FA that fill areas of need,  and you have the cap space, what difference does it make if you sign them,  or if you drafted them 4 years ago?  They are still guys you want on your team,  and its going to cost you a small fortune to make it happen.  The key is going forward to get better with your draft picks so you dont have to trade them for somebody elses future cap issues,  and so you can reload your roster with cheaper talent.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Oh,  I know that,  but we screwed that rule when we keep trading away draft picks for players that may, or more often than not, may not pan out.  But honestly salary cap is salary cap,  if you find a handfull of guys that in FA that fill areas of need,  and you have the cap space, what difference does it make if you sign them,  or if you drafted them 4 years ago?  They are still guys you want on your team,  and its going to cost you a small fortune to make it happen.  The key is going forward to get better with your draft picks so you dont have to trade them for somebody elses future cap issues,  and so you can reload your roster with cheaper talent.
Well signing somebody else's picks that proved to be worth a good second contract  just means you lost out on that 4 to 5 years of cheap (er) labor, because whoever you drafted sucked. This scouting, coaching, and GMing has to get a lot better in identifying, developing, and making deals for better players across the board, not just WR's, and the occasional DE, OT.

@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@mgobluevikes said:
@Bullazin said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Well signing somebody else's picks that proved to be worth a good second contract  just means you lost out on that 4 to 5 years of cheap (er) labor, because whoever you drafted sucked. This scouting, coaching, and GMing has to get a lot better in identifying, developing, and making deals for better players across the board, not just WR's, and the occasional DE, OT.
I agree,  but since they havent,  they have a window where they wont be having to resign their own quality free agents so hopefully they get better at the drafting game sooner than later.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@MaroonBells said:
@kmillard said:
@FLVike said:
Yes in a second!! =)
OK, cool. Happy to hear we can just drop the whole "wins are a QB stat" thing. 
Well we know QBs never factor into the win, but if they did for example and were approaching year seven with Herbert, the franchise only had one playoff win in that time, I would probably be getting a little restless as well.

I think our chances of getting JJM are pretty good as of now. Here’s my current QB rankings (still watching film):

1. Jayden Daniels
2. Bo Nix
3. JJM
4. Drake Maye
5. Penix
6. Caleb Williams

I’m still thinking it through, but I’m evaluating on which players I think have the best chance of making it long term and have success in the league. I tend to favor guys who have that mobility factor to go with the arm. That’s just what I look for. Penix has an elite arm but limited mobility, as an example. Maye could end up being the best, but i see him as a bigger risk than JJM. 

Back to the main topic, I love JJM. He’s far along for a young guy. If Herbert didn’t have a $170,000,000 dead cap I wouldn’t be surprised if he went to the Chargers! 

As of now, I think 4 QB’s could go before us and I’d be thrilled if it’s JJM who’s available. I’d prefer him over Williams.

Williams’s tape is not good if you view it from a NFL standpoint. He has so much work to do and I’m not convinced at this point he’ll do it.