Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cap
^

Quote: @pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
Sounds like JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the league, which will put him around $38M/year.
Can't say I blame him, he's worth it. But man. I know the cap is malleable but giving him that much almost necessitates a QB on a rookie deal, doesn't it? Even if JJ's cap hit this season is low after an extension (fingers crossed), Kirk's dead money of almost $30M would still be on the books if we don't bring him back. So that wipes out almost any savings we'd gain in 2024. Or we re-sign Kirk for a couple years and spread out his money, which also wipes out any possibly savings from extending JJ. Not saying it's either/or because I'm sure they could find a way, but all this money we have might dry up fast if the plan is to run it back with JJ and Kirk.
You'd write Jefferson's contract so that it doesn't accelerate until Kirk is gone. Tyreek Hill's contract is probably the closest we're going to come to a comp. His AAV was $30M. His cap hit the 1st year was $6M, the 2nd year was $12M, the 3rd year is $31M. That's the year you'd want to be free of Cousins' money. 
Agreed... But is that even possible? Considering Kirk already has almost $30M in dead money, in what world are we going to be free and clear of his contract 3 years from now if we extend him?
We may not be completely free of it, but we'd probably be free of most of it. Personally, I'd stack a little onto 2024. We have between $30 and $40M in space. I'd stack even more onto 2025, when the Vikings are estimated to have between $120 and $150M in cap space (obviously this doesn't include contracts signed between now and then). Whatever dead is left over in 2026 will be mitigated by the fact that our QB is on a rookie contract. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
@MaroonBells said:
@pattersaur said:
Sounds like JJ wants to be the highest paid non-QB in the league, which will put him around $38M/year.
Can't say I blame him, he's worth it. But man. I know the cap is malleable but giving him that much almost necessitates a QB on a rookie deal, doesn't it? Even if JJ's cap hit this season is low after an extension (fingers crossed), Kirk's dead money of almost $30M would still be on the books if we don't bring him back. So that wipes out almost any savings we'd gain in 2024. Or we re-sign Kirk for a couple years and spread out his money, which also wipes out any possibly savings from extending JJ. Not saying it's either/or because I'm sure they could find a way, but all this money we have might dry up fast if the plan is to run it back with JJ and Kirk.
You'd write Jefferson's contract so that it doesn't accelerate until Kirk is gone. Tyreek Hill's contract is probably the closest we're going to come to a comp. His AAV was $30M. His cap hit the 1st year was $6M, the 2nd year was $12M, the 3rd year is $31M. That's the year you'd want to be free of Cousins' money. 
Agreed... But is that even possible? Considering Kirk already has almost $30M in dead money, in what world are we going to be free and clear of his contract 3 years from now if we extend him?
We may not be completely free of it, but we'd probably be free of most of it. Personally, I'd stack a little onto 2024. We have between $30 and $40M in space. I'd stack even more onto 2025, when the Vikings are estimated to have between $120 and $150M in cap space (obviously this doesn't include contracts signed between now and then). Whatever dead is left over in 2026 will be mitigated by the fact that our QB is on a rookie contract. 
We're probably just going to pay Kirk by the year, and then 1 extra year of dead cap, but that year is going to be there regardless.  I think the argument for keeping Cousins is that you get more years of known good quantity play from the QB, and the argument for getting rid of him is that it accelerates that dead cap so that you eat while you are rebuilding and not while you are contending.

Quote: @pattersaur said:
Maybe I'm just living in the past, but I struggle with seeing how any non-QB could be worth $38M a year.  I think if JJ is demanding $38M a year, I'd rather just franchise him and/or trade him for picks and then bring in 2 of the top 5 FA WRs.  Obviously, he's great, but I'm not sure $38M is worth it for even the best that has ever been.

I'm sure many QBs in the draft would want to play for us with the weapons we have.

Quote: @medaille said:
@pattersaur said:
Maybe I'm just living in the past, but I struggle with seeing how any non-QB could be worth $38M a year.  I think if JJ is demanding $38M a year, I'd rather just franchise him and/or trade him for picks and then bring in 2 of the top 5 FA WRs.  Obviously, he's great, but I'm not sure $38M is worth it for even the best that has ever been.
I love the way JJ plays, but I'm thinking the same.  Giving a WR that much without having a long-term answer at QB seems crazy, especially when the team is in rebuild mode.I hope we can keep him, but not at the expense of rebuilding this team for future years.  The Devante Adams trade fetched a 1st and 2nd to the Packers.  JJ might be worth what, two 1st rounders?