Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Cap
The Vikings hold the 12th-most salary cap space in the NFL with a sizeable $36,381,185 to work with, per Over the Cap.

However, the Vikings can balloon their cap space even further. Here is a look at four moves the Vikings can make to free up even more space this spring

By making the following moves, the Vikings would be able to nearly double their salary cap space (all numbers are again via OTC):
  • Restructure T.J. Hockenson’s contract ($7.1 million saved)
  • Restructure Byron Murphy’s contract (~$5.4 million saved)
  • Restructure Brian O’Neill’s contract (~$8.9 million saved)
  • Cut Harrison Smith (~$11.3 million saved)
If the Vikings pulled the trigger on each of these moves, their salary cap space would go up to $70,309,051. As things currently stand, this would give them the fourth-most cap space going into free agency behind only the following teams:
  1. Washington Commanders ($75,535,534)
  2. Houston Texans ($71,438,770)
  3. Tennessee Titans ($71,055,779)
The most obvious move here is restructuring Hockenson’s deal. The tight end put together a spectacular season in 2023, totaling 95 receptions for 960 yards and five touchdowns. However, he is very likely to miss a good chunk of the 2023 season because of the ACL and MCL tears that he suffered in Week 16 against the Detroit Lions.
Lightening his current cap hit of $14.1 million in 2024 would push some money into future years on his contract, yes, but it would also free up financial flexibility for the upcoming free agency period.
It should also be noted that these moves would not dip Minnesota below a whopping $150 million in cap space for 2025, so they should not impact potential contract extensions for players like Justin Jefferson or Christian Darrisaw.

https://purpleptsd.com/2024/vikings/vikings-analysis/vikings-cap-space-2/

The Vikings are in a MUCH better cap position this off-season and moving forward. The one gimme is bonus restructuring Hockenson. His contract was written in a way where it would make less sense not to. Gets you to about $32M in space (this includes all of Kirk, Hunter and Davenport's dead money). We'll see what happens with Harrison Smith. He won't be back at his $19M cap number. Question is whether he takes a pay-cut or ends up released. Puts the cap number between $37 - 43M. Doubt they touch Murphy's deal unless they straight up release him (don't think they will). 

With the $37-43 (we'll call it $40M) they have really 2 paths. 

1. Resign Kirk, Danielle (or comparable defensive player) and 1-2 role players 
2. Go the rookie QB route. If they go this way they honestly have enough money to do whatever they like

Harrison Smith is retiring.

The thing about this is that they don't even mention the biggest potential savings when arriving at that $36M cap space.

Cousins $28M dead is already baked into that $36M number. And so is $15M dead for Hunter. JJ's cap number is $19M due to the 5th year option. As soon as JJ is extended his number will be cut in half. The Vikings, in fact, should have enough cap space in '24 to extend both Cousins and Hunter and stack all their dead onto this year if they so choose, preserving the bulk of that $150M number for '25. 

We are starting to see the fruits of some really good maneuvering by the front office to get the cap in a better place.

A much better place... 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
We are starting to see the fruits of some really good maneuvering by the front office to get the cap in a better place.

A much better place... 
The tough decisions we made last year, which weren't really that tough IMO, helped a lot. I think Dalvin Tomlinson was the only one that stung a little. He had a good year in Cleveland. 

Quote: @comet52 said:
I am not seeing that reported,  where did you get this from?

is Over the Cap even reliable?  Here they have the Vikings cap space at under 25 million for 24.    https://overthecap.com/salary-cap/minnesota-vikings

total Cap Liabilities: $225,108,037
  • Top 51: $220,009,496
  • Team Cap Space: $24,658,132
  • Offense: $130,256,654
  • Defense: $89,014,508
  • Special: $2,328,334
others say mid 30s,  I've some claim as high as mid 40s a few weeks ago and saying it can go higher after moving off Hitmans deal.

is our cap situation that complex that it cant be nailed down when there arent any moving pieces?  I think some are playing games like assuming 14 of Cousins money comes back due to him coming to terms on an extension, of course they dont factor in that new money against the cap in their fairy tales.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
FYI Jimmy this thread had the stuck scrolling problem just now. No tweets or pics. It unstuck after I fiddled with it a bit.

My source on Smith is on the q.t. but I'm about 95% confident it will happen. I think he's waiting for the team to confirm they aren't paying him all that cash in '24, which probably is the only way he'd come back.

Quote: @comet52 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@comet52 said:
FYI Jimmy this thread had the stuck scrolling problem just now. No tweets or pics. It unstuck after I fiddled with it a bit.

My source on Smith is on the q.t. but I'm about 95% confident it will happen. I think he's waiting for the team to confirm they aren't paying him all that cash in '24, which probably is the only way he'd come back.
Thanks,  what browser and type of access ( pc or mobile ) are you having the issue with?