Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian O'Neill on Kirk Cousins
IF I was a Lions, Bears or Packer fan? I would be delighted at the complexity and enormity of what the Vikings face this off-season...I'd be hoping they mess it up big time too. 

Biggest off-season here since 2017...

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
It bears repeating....

Kwesi is on record stating they want KC back. The negotiation outcome is the big unknown.

March and the combine will be a fascinating time this year. 
Not suggesting this is the feeling, but Kwesi isn't going to go on the record and blatantly say they're not going to re-sign Kirk. The easy out is letting him walk and following it with a "we just couldn't find a solution that worked". 

Last off-season they didn't get particularly close to an extension. Whether than changes now that they didn't draft a viable QB last year or not is TBD. But Kirk's market is going to be very strong. The achilles isn't going to scare anyone off. 
Agree that the achilles will not prevent teams from pursuing him. But I think it will keep his contract below top of market. Either way, whether it's with the Vikings or someone else, his contract is going to surprise a lot of people. 

Personally, I'd be shocked if a team with Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson, Darrisaw, etc decides to rebuild. Because that's what it would mean if they move on from Cousins. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
@Zanary said:
Let's see:

JJ and O'Neil gush about him, KOC basically does the same, hell...every teammate does.

Meanwhile, a few internet babblers: "...only if he's cheap".

One in particular: "get him gone" (constantly)

...I'm gonna go with the actual players and team staff on this one.
Lets see:

If the players and KOC gush about him, then why didn't KAM sign him to an extension prior to the season? The answer was...and still is;

"...only if he's cheap (reasonably)" 
Since then, there has been the visual dumpster fire of our offense without him vs. with him, and the complete lack of anyone else in our QB room to really step up for more than a hot minute.

I honestly don't expect to hear much of anything until he can show progress level "x" with his rehab, which is reasonable for all involved. That said, I still think he's back, likely 2 years, and we draft the assumed successor early.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
It bears repeating....

Kwesi is on record stating they want KC back. The negotiation outcome is the big unknown.

Not suggesting this is the feeling, but Kwesi isn't going to go on the record and blatantly say they're not going to re-sign Kirk. The easy out is letting him walk and following it with a "we just couldn't find a solution that worked". 

Last off-season they didn't get particularly close to an extension. Whether than changes now that they didn't draft a viable QB last year or not is TBD. But Kirk's market is going to be very strong. The achilles isn't going to scare anyone off. 
Agree that the achilles will not prevent teams from pursuing him. But I think it will keep his contract below top of market. Either way, whether it's with the Vikings or someone else, his contract is going to surprise a lot of people. 

Personally, I'd be shocked if a team with Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson, Darrisaw, etc decides to rebuild. Because that's what it would mean if they move on from Cousins. 
You aren't wrong. But the tough part is that its not even a decision the Vikings can make alone. Kirk simply can walk into FA and take the largest offer if he chooses to. At a minimum he has every point of leverage between a no-tag agreement, large dead money acceleration, and the $40M contract limit which basically forces the Vikings to guarantee him more money or a strong contract structure than competing teams.

I do believe Kirk would like to remain in MN. But its not going to be on some pushover deal, its going to be close to market rate. If that ends up being closer to $40M than $35M it becomes awfully tough for the Vikings. Albeit they walked themselves into this situation. 

Since I am rambling, something else not talked about. Although it would take some planning, there are some scenarios you can play out on the cap where it may make sense to eat Kirks $28.5M dead cap number while resigning him. It isn't the impossibility some people make it out to be.  

Come on haven’t you heard, Kirk’s kids love their Kindergarten, this deal is done…!  Wink B)  

@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
It bears repeating....

You aren't wrong. But the tough part is that its not even a decision the Vikings can make alone. Kirk simply can walk into FA and take the largest offer if he chooses to. At a minimum he has every point of leverage between a no-tag agreement, large dead money acceleration, and the $40M contract limit which basically forces the Vikings to guarantee him more money or a strong contract structure than competing teams.

I do believe Kirk would like to remain in MN. But its not going to be on some pushover deal, its going to be close to market rate. If that ends up being closer to $40M than $35M it becomes awfully tough for the Vikings. Albeit they walked themselves into this situation. 

Since I am rambling, something else not talked about. Although it would take some planning, there are some scenarios you can play out on the cap where it may make sense to eat Kirks $28.5M dead cap number while resigning him. It isn't the impossibility some people make it out to be.  
why would you eat the 28.5 and then resign him? Why not let the money ride with the new deals so you spread that cap hit over 2 years instead of 1?

Quote: @Knucklehead said:
@StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
It bears repeating....

Just our own fanbase!  :p

In all fairness, Kirko is going to be 36 & coming off a significant injury. An injury that won't be fully healed when negotiations start. If I'm the team or it's fanbase I go into these negotiations with the disclaimer often seen in ads for attorney services on TV in the back of my mind:
"Prior results do not guarantee similar outcomes"
You're a knucklehead!  Wink Just having fun. I agree with Geoff though. If the Vikings don't want to sign Kirk to a strong contract (richer than most on this board would like), several other teams will.

@MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
It bears repeating....

I heard someone say that the other day. Makes some sense. Vikings made some difficult (but not really) decisions last year that has them with a good amount of cap space entering 2024, and so I wouldn't be surprised to see them burn some of their dead this year.