Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So we ALL know now where we stand at QB??
I think KAM said it best

We'd like KC back, but its also a business...

I think that message was for Kirko as much as anyone. I think he's back -unless a contender backs-up a Brinks truck for him. And I dont see Purdy doing anything but continuing to ascend. I think the 9'ers struck gold and the gods smiled on them (again). 

Quote: @"jargomcfargo" said:
From the perspective of the Vikings front office and coaching staff, the competitive rebuild actually worked; then Cousins went down.
They were competitive after cleaning up the early season rust, the O-line was starting to function as a unit, Cousins was finally in command of the same offensive scheme he had been in for more than one year, and the defense was coming together, and took a quantum leap from the previous year.
It appeared there was no team they couldn't beat.

That may have been a mirage, but the Wilf's aren't going to buy that.
Right or wrong, I expect the Wilf's to stay the course and make another run at Cousins next year.
And as always, and as it should be, it doesn't matter what we fans think.
Agree. It's so frustrating. In his 2nd year in KOC's offense, Cousins never looked better. An AP sportswriter who had been critical of Cousins in the past said at the time Kirk was the leading MVP candidate. The OL had improved, Addison was proving a worthy WR2, Hockenson was lighting it up, and the defense showed promise.

But what's interesting to me is that it took a few weeks for the defense to really figure out what it was doing.  We never really got to see fully healthy offense with good defense. 

Vikings Defense,
Per EPA/Play,
2023:

Weeks 1-3 = 26th

Weeks 4-14 = 1st

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"jargomcfargo" said:
From the perspective of the Vikings front office and coaching staff, the competitive rebuild actually worked; then Cousins went down.
They were competitive after cleaning up the early season rust, the O-line was starting to function as a unit, Cousins was finally in command of the same offensive scheme he had been in for more than one year, and the defense was coming together, and took a quantum leap from the previous year.
It appeared there was no team they couldn't beat.

That may have been a mirage, but the Wilf's aren't going to buy that.
Right or wrong, I expect the Wilf's to stay the course and make another run at Cousins next year.
And as always, and as it should be, it doesn't matter what we fans think.
Agree. It's so frustrating. In his 2nd year in KOC's offense, Cousins never looked better. An AP sportswriter who had been critical of Cousins in the past said at the time Kirk was the leading MVP candidate. The OL had improved, Addison was proving a worthy WR2, Hockenson was lighting it up, and the defense showed promise.

But what's interesting to me is that it took a few weeks for the defense to really figure out what it was doing.  We never really got to see fully healthy offense with good defense. 

Vikings Defense,
Per EPA/Play,
2023:

Weeks 1-3 = 26th

Weeks 4-14 = 1st
This year def reminds me of the Bradford breakout year before he broke his knee.  

Hopefully Pettine is soaking up Bflos D concepts cause he is likely gone 

I'll toss out my unpopular opinion...

I agree re-sign Kirko for 2 year extension.
Dobbs is not the answer, I am disappointed as many of your are (and some not).
Mullen...a pretty solid backup.
Hall?  Too small of a sample size to evaluate properly.
Draft Bo Nix in the late 1st round (he'll probably drop that far...there is now a crowded field of QBs), let him sit behind KC and marinate. I was far more impressed with Nix for some odd reason than I was with USC's Williams or UW Penix.  I think Drake Maye is overrated.  But what the hell do I know?  I told you this was my unpopular opinion. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
Games like yesterday really REALLY make you appreciate what we have in Cousins.

Anyone notice yesterday that the pass blocking and play calling seemed to get better when Mullens took over? It didn't. It just seemed that way, because Mullens ran the offense the way it was supposed to be run. He wasn't perfect, but he was a nice midpoint between the MVP-like play from Cousins and the WTF-like play from Dobbs. 
Mullens should be better with a week of prep. Mullens vs. Browning next Saturday in Cincy. And yes, the play calling always looks better when you don't have complete incompetence (Dobbs) at QB. 

I think it is a mistake not to start Hall going forward.  I don't care about the playoffs at this point as any game in the playoffs will be a serious beat down -- for me, it is all about player development at this point.
Understandable. But I think you're smart enough to know why a team in playoff contention can't and won't ever think that way. 
Still feels this way?

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Anyone notice yesterday that the pass blocking and play calling seemed to get better when Mullens took over? It didn't. It just seemed that way, because Mullens ran the offense the way it was supposed to be run. He wasn't perfect, but he was a nice midpoint between the MVP-like play from Cousins and the WTF-like play from Dobbs. 
Mullens should be better with a week of prep. Mullens vs. Browning next Saturday in Cincy. And yes, the play calling always looks better when you don't have complete incompetence (Dobbs) at QB. 

I think it is a mistake not to start Hall going forward.  I don't care about the playoffs at this point as any game in the playoffs will be a serious beat down -- for me, it is all about player development at this point.
Understandable. But I think you're smart enough to know why a team in playoff contention can't and won't ever think that way. 
Still feels this way?
Sure, if they are still in contention. Why would it change after an overtime loss to the Bengals on the road? Its the same premise. 

Quote: @"VikingOracle" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"VikingOracle" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:

Still feels this way?
Of course. 

Quote: @"Montana Tom" said:
I'll toss out my unpopular opinion...

I agree re-sign Kirko for 2 year extension.
Dobbs is not the answer, I am disappointed as many of your are (and some not).
Mullen...a pretty solid backup.
Hall?  Too small of a sample size to evaluate properly.
Draft Bo Nix in the late 1st round (he'll probably drop that far...there is now a crowded field of QBs), let him sit behind KC and marinate. I was far more impressed with Nix for some odd reason than I was with USC's Williams or UW Penix.  I think Drake Maye is overrated.  But what the hell do I know?  I told you this was my unpopular opinion. 
I havent spent much time and like Nix size, arm and athletic ability, but the little i have seen he flushes to the right ALOT when pressured. Reminds me of Ponder in that regard. 

Until they are officially eliminated, they are trying. That's all there is to it. Although it feels like crap because what is the leaderless ship going to do there? It just royally sucks how things went to hell so badly. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
Until they are officially eliminated, they are trying. That's all there is to it. Although it feels like crap because what is the leaderless ship going to do there? It just royally sucks how things went to hell so badly. 
It just further reinforces just how important it is to have a good QB. I'm more convinced now than ever that the Vikings will sign Cousins. They just don't have a choice (not to suggest it's a bad thing).

You just can't go in to '24 with elite weapons in Jefferson, Addison, Hockenson...and a question mark at QB.  Sure, they'll probably draft one, but the starting QB in '24 will be Cousins. I'd bet my bottom dollar.