Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: You get an A and you get an A, we all get A's!
Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
Last summer, my 20 yr. old grandson and I were repairing my daughter's deck (his mother) replacing some boards and railings.  I handed my grandson a tape measure and asked him to measure out some lengths.  He told me he didn't know how to read a tape measure.  I said, "Seriously, I have a 20 yr. old high school graduate grandson attending college on an academic scholarship and you can't read a goddamn tape measure?".  
Things like this when I grew up learning such as construction, wiring, plumbing and auto repairs.  Todays' kids are lost in my opinion.  Now ask them something they can figure out on their cellphone or computer and you have a genius.
Who's fault is that?  Yep, parents.  Get your kid off the video games and cell phone.  Demand eye to eye contact and teach them these things and they will learn just as fast as we did.  But that rarely happens because most parents are also busy on the cell phone and video games.  

Quote: @BigAl99 said:
@ArizonaViking said:
Last summer, my 20 yr. old grandson and I were repairing my daughter's deck (his mother) replacing some boards and railings.  I handed my grandson a tape measure and asked him to measure out some lengths.  He told me he didn't know how to read a tape measure.  I said, "Seriously, I have a 20 yr. old high school graduate grandson attending college on an academic scholarship and you can't read a goddamn tape measure?".  
Things like this when I grew up learning such as construction, wiring, plumbing and auto repairs.  Todays' kids are lost in my opinion.  Now ask them something they can figure out on their cellphone or computer and you have a genius.

Give him one with a digital readout.  It's like slide-rules and vernier calipers, it's not what you use, it's getting done what you need to.  I used a HP 11C in school and really depended on RPN with three registers, similar to programing in machine code.  Kept it on my desk for years and got a charge out of handing it to someone that asked to use my calculator.  I have a 32S and a 35s now, how many know what RPN is?
But,  do you know how to read a tape measure?

Quote: @minny65 said:
@ArizonaViking said:
Who's fault is that?  Yep, parents.  Get your kid off the video games and cell phone.  Demand eye to eye contact and teach them these things and they will learn just as fast as we did.  But that rarely happens because most parents are also busy on the cell phone and video games.  
Don't blame the kids,  blame the generation that raised them and allowed our school systems to become the shit they are.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@ArizonaViking said:

Give him one with a digital readout.  It's like slide-rules and vernier calipers, it's not what you use, it's getting done what you need to.  I used a HP 11C in school and really depended on RPN with three registers, similar to programing in machine code.  Kept it on my desk for years and got a charge out of handing it to someone that asked to use my calculator.  I have a 32S and a 35s now, how many know what RPN is?

Yep, h'Bout you?
Can you use a slide rule, how many times have you used the quadratic equation without writing it out?  You know what RPN is?   

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@ArizonaViking said:

Yep, h'Bout you?
Can you use a slide rule, how many times have you used the quadratic equation without writing it out?  You know what RPN is?   

i can read a tape measure,  which is a pretty common item in a lot of fields,   or just life in general,  the rest of your dick measuring attempts are more specialized instruments that are more limited to certain fields.... apparently yours,  but Im sure you knew that already.

@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@ArizonaViking said:

Yep, h'Bout you?

i can read a tape measure,  which is a pretty common item in a lot of fields,   or just life in general,  the rest of your dick measuring attempts are more specialized instruments that are more limited to certain fields.... apparently yours,  but Im sure you knew that already.

Those "dick" measuring things are basic math, when your educated, not just trained.

@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@BigAl99 said:
@ArizonaViking said:

Yep, h'Bout you?

Those "dick" measuring things are basic math, when your educated, not just trained.
you sure do love stroking yourself,  glad your training has paid off.

Lower school standards to dick measuring in under a 2 page thread! Kudos!

[Image: well-done.gif]

@minny65 said:
@ArizonaViking said:
Don't blame the kids,  blame the generation that raised them and allowed our school systems to become the shit they are.
That's the point I am trying to make to all those that point fingers to the external.  Look internal and you will find this generation is a result of "you reap what you sow"!

Between video games, cell phones/social media, and drugs among the generation before the result is what you see.  Many of these kids we are talking about live with one parent or a grand parent because of drugs. Many have problems at birth and far more than the generations before have learning disabilities.  The rate of autism and ADD is out of control.  I guess it is up to our educational system and teachers to also do social work and family therapy.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:
@ArizonaViking said:
That's the point I am trying to make to all those that point fingers to the external.  Look internal and you will find this generation is a result of "you reap what you sow"!

Between video games, cell phones/social media, and drugs among the generation before the result is what you see.  Many of these kids we are talking about live with one parent or a grand parent because of drugs. Many have problems at birth and far more than the generations before have learning disabilities.  The rate of autism and ADD is out of control.  I guess it is up to our educational system and teachers to also do social work and family therapy.  
Well I'll tell you right now, many 'nuclear' families (both parents) are doing a great job of fucking up their kids by making them entitled, spoiled fucking rotten and completely dependent on them. They take care of everything for their 'babies'. Don't want a second of sadness, boredom or not giving them their every whim. This is what is causing the high rates of depression and anxiety, along with social media. These brats don't handle anything for themselves, so even the most mundane situations they cannot cope with.