Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT: You get an A and you get an A, we all get A's!
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nearly-everyo...36334.html

I've seen this trend in high schools as well. Teachers and professors just find it easier, less stressful and less headaches to give out good grades compared to grades kids deserve to get. Cheating is easier and more prevalent than ever with AI and the Internet, yet some kids are even too lazy to cheat. We truly are moving closer to an idiocracy. Parents will bully teachers into giving kids better grades and kids feel entitled to actually complain about the grades they are getting. In Florida, teacher's jobs rely on kids having a certain standard and level of grades....so between parents and the state up your ass, why wouldn't you just give everyone better grades? Overall math competency in this country is at an all time historical low. 

And then there is the path Oregon has taken. Dropping all requirements for reading and math to be able to graduate. Under 50% of graduates last year were proficient with English, and 31% with math. I guess a dumber society is easier to rule control govern.

I have watched plenty of videos of teachers being told by administrators to change grades because of parents, that is a huge part of why teachers are leaving. The entitlement and audacity is absolutely ridiculous. There are also parents that threaten to take donation money away from the school if the grade isn't changed. It's disgusting 

My brother is attending a traditionally prestigious college right now, and will finish with a triple major in four years with not a ton of academic stress. He's very intelligent but he's also flat out told me pretty much exactly what this article is saying. It's easier for teachers and professors to move kids along than it is to challenge them. My brother is using that to his advantage by triple majoring but for many kids who are getting a traditional bachelors degree (like the one I have), I think school has gotten significantly easier post-covid. No idea what the solution is or if it even needs fixing, just a second-hand observation.

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
My brother is attending a traditionally prestigious college right now, and will finish with a triple major in four years with not a ton of academic stress. He's very intelligent but he's also flat out told me pretty much exactly what this article is saying. It's easier for teachers and professors to move kids along than it is to challenge them. My brother is using that to his advantage by triple majoring but for many kids who are getting a traditional bachelors degree (like the one I have), I think school has gotten significantly easier post-covid. No idea what the solution is or if it even needs fixing, just a second-hand observation.
College entrance exams like the ACT have seen average scores going down yearly. 

Many parents don't really care if their kids are working hard and performing academically in actuality.....they just want to brag to other parents and want what they feel is social capital amongst their peers. And if that means cheating or bullying teachers to get it, they don't give a shit. Here's the equation many parents think is reality: smart kids = good parenting/happy kids. What a joke. Reflected glory. Same with the sports scene: great athlete = great parents. Riiiight. 

Focus on your kids actual happiness than how what they do academically/athletically 'reflects' upon you. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
https://www.nytimes.com/2019/04/10/us/lo...andal.html
Yep. Just so disgusting. And they'd brag to their celebrity friends about their kids 'accomplishments' and accept kudos on their parenting fully knowing its all bullshit. The insecurity and the need for validation is amazing.

What I find interesting is we know a gal who started college this year.  Her professors routinely cancel class.  10-20% of the time by her guess.  She had classes scheduled for the first 3 days of thanksgiving week.  All but 1 canceled the whole week.
I joked, I had a BS art class that didn't cancel for 9/11 (2PMish class time if I recall correctly). 

Good thing we have a department of education at the national level that is ensuring a quality public education for all kids across the nation.  Maybe its time to put it all back at the local level,  fund your own schools.  Set your own standards,   and when your kids can't get a job..
 To bad.

I don’t think there’s any 100% correct answers at a societal
level, because there’s no way to force people to care and sometimes people
care, but the money isn’t there.  I think
the only thing that I feel confident is that parents who actively want the best
for their kids and can afford to make it happen will probably ensure their kids
are sufficiently educated no matter how shitty the education system is.  I think the more levels of bureaucracy you
have between the person paying for the school, the parents and the students,
probably the worse it’s going to be.  The
less money available to invest in the kids education, probably the worse it’s
going to be.  That said, a lot of schooling
is pure BS that isn’t really going to help the kid.  Our whole education system is built out of
the scientific management of people where kids are taught how to be good workers
at the factory, learn how to remember dumb facts that aren’t interesting to
them and ultimately don’t matter or get retained, but don’t understand most of
the things a person needs to live a happy and fulfilling life.