Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Breaking: Our new QB
Quote: @JR44 said:
I don't see the point of this trade, he is not any better than anyone who is currently on the roster.  I would rather go with Hall and if he doesn't do it then go with Mullens when he is healthy.  This move makes no sense, he brings nothing to the team.  
I don't think we can say the bolded part for certain at all. Mullens is still hurt but even once he's healthy, I'd put him, Hall, and Dobbs pretty close together as of now. Idk who's best. I get the redundancy argument since he's probably not significantly better, but maybe he is. The team's options were extremely limited in what they could do, so they took a shot on this guy for a cheap price. The key here being cheap price. I don't mind it at all.

Kevin O'Connell Announces Vikings Starter After Josh Dobbs Trade
The Minnesota Vikings made a move for a quarterback Tuesday, striking a deal with the Arizona Cardinals for Joshua Dobbs hours before the NFL trade deadline.
Minnesota added Dobbs because starter Kirk Cousins is done for the season with a torn Achilles. Dobbs, who started the eight games of the year for Arizona, was available because Kyler Murray is on the verge of returning from ACL surgery.
While it's expected that Dobbs will eventually see significant time for the Vikings, it might not be this weekend. Minnesota head coach Kevin O'Connell said rookie backup Jaren Hall is being prepared to start Sunday's game against the Atlanta Falcons.
O'Connell said it is possible Dobbs could play as well.

Quote: @medaille said:
@Zanary said:
So:

1.  We didn't overpay.
2.  We're getting someone with good, bankable capabilities.
3.  He's not ancient, seeking one last shot at glory.
4.  He's not a mental whack-a-mole, trying for his 5th "good fit" in 5 seasons.
5.  He has a good arm, whose long passes won't require punt-like hang times.

Holy s**t, folks, these ARE different times!!!
lol
[Image: bcy7bg0m59v4.png]
Compare him to Wentz.

He's been a serviceable camp arm, backup, decent starter when needed...but not a Wentz.

He doesn't put up "Johnny F**king Football" flags.

Agree with these Grades:
Vikings find new QB in Joshua DobbsVikings get: QB Joshua Dobbs, 2024 seventh-round pick
Cardinals get: 2024 sixth-round pick
View ProfileKirk Cousins suffered a torn Achilles on Sunday, so the Vikings needed to find a new quarterback if they didn't want to roll with rookie Jaren Hall. Minnesota found said new quarterback on Tuesday in Joshua Dobbs of the Cardinals. Dobbs, who was traded from the Cleveland Browns to Arizona in August, started all eight games for the Cardinals this season, going 1-7. He has completed 62.8% of his passes for 1,569 yards, eight touchdowns and five interceptions. 
Dobbs is a quick study. He was an aerospace engineer intern at Pratt & Whitney, and spent time at NASA's Kennedy Space Center as part of an NFLPA externship. It's a reason why the Titans plucked him off the Browns practice squad to start games late last year, and why the Cardinals traded for him earlier this season. 
Trade gradesVikings A, Cardinals D

I was hoping for Tyler Huntley who is pretty much the same as Dobbs but 3 years older.  Im thinking Ravens wanted a second rounder since Huntley somehow made the pro bowl last year. 

This move gives us another QB with upside, which we needed since Kirk is almost certainly finished here as well as if Hall is a deer in the headlights.  This move also indicates to me that Mullens back is real bad 

Alternate headline: “Kwazy Lands Rocket Scientist!”  Wink B)  

Liked Dobbs as a college player at UT, smart young man and has some ceiling potential, played in some otherwise bad situations.  If you look at his history in the league a lot going on with QB stories ahead of him.  They were Roethlisberger/Rudolph, Minshew/Lawrence, Brissett,Watson, Tannehill/Willis.  He is no Mannion.     At worst fills an other wise empty cabinet at QB, speaking Mannion in particular.  Adding Josh is an improvement in our backup roster next year and anything he contributes this year is great.

Quote: @JR44 said:
I don't see the point of this trade, he is not any better than anyone who is currently on the roster.  I would rather go with Hall and if he doesn't do it then go with Mullens when he is healthy.  This move makes no sense, he brings nothing to the team.  

We don't have anyone on the roster.  Cousins and Mullens are on IR.  Hall is it.  Now we have a backup QB. 

I watched Dobbs play for TN late last year.  He was as effective as Tannehill, which isn't raising the bar terribly far.
If I've got the trades figured out, we've essentially traded Ezra (high 6th) for Dobbs and Akers pending the conditions. 

From PFF:

MINNESOTA VIKINGS G EZRA CLEVELAND → JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS
  • Trade compensation: Sixth-round pick
Jaguars: GoodMany expected the Jaguars to add pass-rush help, but this is a sharp move in the meantime. Jaguars guard/tackle Walker Little has dealt with a few injuries this season, as has veteran right guard Brandon Scherff, so the team gets great swing guard depth here to protect Trevor Lawrence in case it becomes necessary. Cleveland was also a tackle in college if that comes into play, though we’d imagine Little will be the reserve swing tackle.
Cleveland is earning a career-high 72.3 pass-blocking grade so far in 2023 but has yet to hit a 55.0 mark for a full season, which is the reason this trade compensation is so little despite his solid grading profile this year. Cleveland has four straight seasons of earning run-blocking grades of 67.5 or better and over 3,000 snaps of experience on his rookie contract. The former second-round pick is a great depth piece for Jacksonville going forward.
Vikings: Below averageCleveland was replaced in the starting lineup by veteran Dalton Risner, who is not quite as good of a run-blocker in space but is a far superior pass-blocker who also brings a nastiness and edge to his game.
Nonetheless, a sixth-round pick and nothing else from a legitimate Super Bowl contender for a starting-caliber guard, even in a contract year, is a fairly underwhelming return for Minnesota.

ARIZONA CARDINALS QB JOSH DOBBS, SEVENTH-ROUND PICK → MINNESOTA VIKINGS
  • Trade compensation: Sixth-round pick
Vikings: GoodHow can you not love Josh Dobbs getting another starting opportunity? Dobbs will have to acclimate to another team and playbook very quickly, as he did preparing for Week 1 with the Cardinals in merely two weeks after getting traded from the Cleveland Browns, but two connections could be key here.
First, Cardinals head coach Jonathan Gannon was with the Minnesota Vikings from 2014 to 2017, so perhaps he was able to provide some perspective on the organization. Second, Dobbs shares an agent with Kirk Cousins, so the two probably know each other already, and now Cousins can mentor him when he feels up for it following his Achilles injury.
The Vikings don’t completely give up on their season, and superstar wide receiver Justin Jefferson can return to play with a solid and established quarterback the rest of the way.
Cardinals: GoodArizona traded a fifth-round pick for Dobbs and a seventh-round pick before the season, and they now receive a sixth-round pick for Dobbs and a seventh about three months later. Starting quarterback Kyler Murray has been a full practice participant for a week now, and rookie Clayton Tune could make a spot start or two in the meantime.
Arizona got a lot out of Dobbs’ time with the team. Dobbs had a low pressure-to-sack rate of 15.9% that ranked 12th on the year, helping first-round rookie Paris Johnson learn the game as he blocked for a quarterback who didn’t invite pressure. Rookie wide receiver Michael Wilson has also gotten his career off to a fast start with 25 receptions, 401 yards and two touchdowns while earning a 70.5 grade on the season. These little things matter as the Cardinals execute what so far looks to be a nearly flawless franchise reset.

Quote: @Greylock said:
@StickyBun said:
I really like this guy. I'm totally ok with this, only if the comp is ok. Very Interesting. They had to bring someone else in and they did. 
This may be more of the team showing no confidence in Mannion then not being confidant in Hall.  With Mullens still on IR Mannion would have been the backup this week and we all know how that would have been if he had to play.
Then why did they sign Mannion in the first place?  I think they needed to upgrade the back up spot,  but he was never a viable backup to begin with.