Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
KAM's Strategy
Quote: @"JR44" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"Greylock" said:
@"JR44" said:
I think the issue when you hire a guy who had absolutely no GM experience before this position is that he is going to be figuring it out as he goes along.  I think this franchise deserved better and there was better available.  Now we have to hope he figures it out. 
So based on your thinking we should have hired a GM with experience.  But wouldn't it be that if a GM with experience was available most likely he would have been fired by his previous team?  Which would mean he sucked at his previous GM position, but hey lets hire the guy anyway because he has experience.

Another dump on Kwesi post.  Everybody on this board knows how each poster feels about him and seem to take every chance they get to let us all know he sucks.

The truth is there were better candidates, there were many former and assistant GMs who were available who were much more qualified.  But apparently no one is allowed to express their own opinion on a message board unless it is in line with the very vocal majority here, noted.  
Can we talk about those better candidates? Just curious who you're referring to. 

Here are two candidates who had spent their entire careers in Player Personnel who were passed over for an analytics guy with no player personnel experience. 

Monti Ossenfort was Director of Personnel for the Titans when he interviewed, prior to that he worked for Bellichick and the Patriots for 14 years as Director of College Scouting and a Scout, he started back in 2004 as a scout for the Texans and had ties to the Vikings beginning his career here as an intern in 2001.

John Spytek was VP of Player Personnel for the Super Bowl champs Bucs when he interviewed, prior to that he was the Director of Player Personnel for the Bucs, Director of Scouting for the Browns, National Scout for Broncos and a Scout for the Eagles.

https://www.dailynorseman.com/2022/1/14/...candidates

We don't know if those guys would be better, worse, or about the same as KAM, but we do know that the Vikings made a decision to go outside of the traditional scout->g.m. model and go with a more analytics-driven front office.   We have a staff of scouts that do the scouting along with coaches.  Their collective knowledge/insight is a lot more than one man, no matter who he is, is going to possess. The g.m. has a lot of responsibilities in this day and age and to say he must be a player personnel wiz is possibly an org structure that is going to be out of style in another decade or so.   Also imo which I've stated over the years in many places, the most important thing a g.m. does is find the right coach.  So far I think KOC is looking like he might be that guy.  

We had a g.m. in Rick Spielman who fancied himself a wiz at personnel (but wasn't) and periodically overruled his scouts and coaches on draft day, leading to among other things the drafting of Ponder over many objections, and the resignation of Scott Studwell in frustration.   Some of this history, the desire for cooperation in the new regime vs. Rick and Mike actively sabotaging each other, along with having Andrew Miller, Baseball Analytics Guy at the real top of the pyramid on the corporate level, probably played heavily into going with an analytics guy. 

Or you could just buy the flimsy story peddled by another poster here that analytics, scouting, career history, interviews, the organizational structure/direction and all the rest are irrelevant because the Wilfs said, "He must be a black guy, nothing else matters!" And so the nearest black guy was hired, lol.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
I don’t think we can really say what his strategy is, as we
haven’t really seen him build anything or commit to guys to determine what he
likes.  He’s pretty much just been
eliminating players and bringing in 1 year bandaids to maintain the competitive
rebuild.  
This. The guy hasn't had any room to breath. Let's give the guy some time. I've never seen a fanbase more dubious of someone after a 13 win season, lol. 
It's because he was a dubious hire to begin with....
lol, no he wasn't. At all. Just to you possibly. 
Are you blind! Look at the above post regarding other candidates interviewed. Their resumes dwarf Kwesi's who has never been a scout or personnel guy. His job was analytics and making sure the stadium had enough hot dogs on Sundays. That is dubious in itself my friend and this wouldn't be the first time the Wilfs shit the bed on some media darling not deserving of the position hired only for the fanbase to wait it out for years before they figured it out. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  
This. The guy hasn't had any room to breath. Let's give the guy some time. I've never seen a fanbase more dubious of someone after a 13 win season, lol. 
Are you blind! Look at the above post regarding other candidates interviewed. Their resumes dwarf Kwesi's who has never been a scout or personnel guy. His job was analytics and making sure the stadium had enough hot dogs on Sundays. That is dubious in itself my friend and this wouldn't be the first time the Wilfs shit the bed on some media darling not deserving of the position hired only for the fanbase to wait it out for years before they figured it out. 
lol, sigh. Decaf, my man. 

Quote: @"Vikergirl" said:
The Vikings interviewed both of them and went a different direction 
Look at the resumes of those passed over for those who were the finalists for the job. The finalists after interviews were Poles (who was deserving and had experience), Kwesi, and the female from Philly, who was another VP of football operations with no experience in scouting or player personnel. So yeah, anybody go ahead and sell me on that there wasn't other factors involved in the hiring of our GM

@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  
Only if you're looking at it from a personnel standpoint. That's not the only job of a GM. Like I said earlier, the Vikings, like a few other teams, took a more cap, contract and analytics approach. 

Your recurring point about hot dogs is well taken though. I hate it when they run out of hot dogs. This I know: USB had hot dogs well into the 4th quarter of the game I was at. Would that have been the case if the Vikings hired a personnel guy? NO! So STFU!

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  
lol, sigh. Decaf, my man. 
Would love to be wrong here but there's hasn't been many positive moves in contrast to the negative and don't believe the "competitive rebuild" model is something that can be done without a franchise QB already in the fold. From someone who has spent 46 years waiting to see this team in a Super Bowl, I just hope I'm not wasting another 4, 5, 6 years or longer before we figure out we didn't hire the best candidate or the smartest guy in the room. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  
Only if you're looking at it from a personnel standpoint. That's not the only job of a GM. Like I said earlier, the Vikings, like a few other teams, took a more cap, contract and analytics approach. 

Your recurring point about hot dogs is well taken though. I hate it when they run out of hot dogs. This I know: USB had hot dogs well into the 4th quarter of the game I was at. Would that have been the case if the Vikings hired a personnel guy? NO! So STFU!

Really? Which other teams hired a GM candidate who's total combined football years of experience was less then a decade and composed primarily of analytics? I can't think of any. We already have one of the best cap guys in football in Brez, what we needed was someone experienced in identifying talent with a scouting/personnel background not somebody whos never played but could tell you which arctic winds most effect kickoffs. Two drafts in...unimpressive.

Lol and fair point on the hotdogs..

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  

Really? Which other teams hired a GM candidate who's total combined football years of experience was less then a decade and composed primarily of analytics? I can't think of any. We already have one of the best cap guys in football in Brez, what we needed was someone experienced in identifying talent with a scouting/personnel background not somebody whos never played but could tell you which arctic winds most effect kickoffs. Two drafts in...unimpressive.

And we already have a fairly successful scouting staff. What's more, it's not like analytics-oriented GMs don't use those analytics to identify talent. 

But I agree, two drafts in and I'm unimpressed. Jordan Addison already has a concussion, Asamoah is hurt, Akayleb Evans can't stay healthy, Chandler, Nailor, Lowe, Ward and Roy are not yet starting. Blackmon can't do any better than 3rd corner!? And don't get me started on that twatwaffle Ivan Pace Jr! How long before that 230 lb. bag of sugar and spice gets himself hurt?

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"medaille" said:
rebuild.  

And we already have a fairly successful scouting staff. What's more, it's not like analytics-oriented GMs don't use those analytics to identify talent. 

But I agree, two drafts in and I'm unimpressed. Jordan Addison already has a concussion, Asamoah is hurt, Akayleb Evans can't stay healthy, Chandler, Nailor, Lowe, Ward and Roy are not yet starting. Blackmon can't do any better than 3rd corner!? And don't get me started on that twatwaffle Ivan Pace Jr! How long before that 230 lb. bag of sugar and spice gets himself hurt?
Well you aren't wrong, but you forgot to add Ingram slowly fading into the abyss on your list, Booth being Booth, and Cine still running 4th on the depth chart and getting trucked in games...but hey, things are looking up 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
We have lots of money to spend, especially if they roll out a rookie at QB, but not many picks. Quite a bit of the cheese will need to go to the front 7 with Hunter, Davenport, and Hicks all being FAs. Hicks will be 32 next year so I doubt he's in the plans. The other two I could see return if they have good years. If Pace and Asamoah are for real that will help tremendously but the DL will still need investment.

As for the offense, re-sign Hock of course but RG and LG will need some love too unless Ingram somehow takes a big leap forward. If KJ and Addison both have good years I bet KJO will get paid nicely somewhere else.
Actually the Vikings had a 1st, 2nd, 2-4ths, 2-5ths and a 6th in 2024 and have a pick in every round in 2025 and 2-7ths so they are not terribly low on picks the next two years.