Per Rapoport: Vikings taking trade calls on Hunter
Quote: @"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
Just 28 years old but how soon will injuries catch up to him?  Maybe its time to get what you can for him instead of seeing injuries lower any trade value he has.
You could wonder the same about Kirk Cousins, who is 35 and will also be looking to get paid after this season. It's why I say, if you trade Cook and Hunter, you might as well just move Cousins to the 49ers and recoup some draft picks because we aren't trying to be competitive and it's foolish to think otherwise 

Not sure San Fran has the juice to give up for a Cousins trade. This isn't a Rams/Lions scenario. 
It would probably be for Trey Lance and a package of picks. Maybe a couple second rounders
Not a chance. The Rams gave up a 3rd, (2) 1sts, and Goff for Stafford. Stafford was by far more banged up than Cousins, and today, Cousins would be at least as valuable to the 49ers, with their roster in a win now time frame. 

Lance isn't in Goff's league, and would require the 49ers to give us at least a couple of 1sts, and more, considering that those 1sts would probably be closer to 2nd rounders when they go deep into the playoffs. I don't think the 49ers have the ammo to pull it off. 

A couple firsts for one year of Kirk before he hits FA... c'mon. Kirk and his agent would use any trade compensation as leverage with his next team to somehow become the highest paid QB in NFL history. Sub-zero chance the Vikings would get that package.
It would obviously be a renegotiation/extension for any team trading for Kirk. He’s never insisted on being #1 in salary. why would you think he would do that now? 
If you think any team is trading multiple firsts and then giving Kirk a big extension that's fine, I just strongly disagree. Kirk has always gone for the guaranteed money and any GM trading that much capital for him would be squarely behind the 8-ball to extend him. I think Kirk's agent would use that and he'd have all of the leverage. I'm not one of these, "trade Kirk at all costs!" posters but if an offer of multiple firsts was truly on the table the Vikings would be insane not to take it. Hence my belief that nothing anywhere close to that has ever been discussed. JMO.

Interesting listen regarding Hunter, Cook, and just what the hell are the Vikings doing. Nobody knows and I don't think they do either 

Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:
Just 28 years old but how soon will injuries catch up to him?  Maybe its time to get what you can for him instead of seeing injuries lower any trade value he has.
You could wonder the same about Kirk Cousins, who is 35 and will also be looking to get paid after this season. It's why I say, if you trade Cook and Hunter, you might as well just move Cousins to the 49ers and recoup some draft picks because we aren't trying to be competitive and it's foolish to think otherwise 

Not sure San Fran has the juice to give up for a Cousins trade. This isn't a Rams/Lions scenario. 
It would probably be for Trey Lance and a package of picks. Maybe a couple second rounders
Not a chance. The Rams gave up a 3rd, (2) 1sts, and Goff for Stafford. Stafford was by far more banged up than Cousins, and today, Cousins would be at least as valuable to the 49ers, with their roster in a win now time frame. 

Lance isn't in Goff's league, and would require the 49ers to give us at least a couple of 1sts, and more, considering that those 1sts would probably be closer to 2nd rounders when they go deep into the playoffs. I don't think the 49ers have the ammo to pull it off. 

A couple firsts for one year of Kirk before he hits FA... c'mon. Kirk and his agent would use any trade compensation as leverage with his next team to somehow become the highest paid QB in NFL history. Sub-zero chance the Vikings would get that package.
It would obviously be a renegotiation/extension for any team trading for Kirk. He’s never insisted on being #1 in salary. why would you think he would do that now? 
If you think any team is trading multiple firsts and then giving Kirk a big extension that's fine, I just strongly disagree. Kirk has always gone for the guaranteed money and any GM trading that much capital for him would be squarely behind the 8-ball to extend him. I think Kirk's agent would use that and he'd have all of the leverage. I'm not one of these, "trade Kirk at all costs!" posters but if an offer of multiple firsts was truly on the table the Vikings would be insane not to take it. Hence my belief that nothing anywhere close to that has ever been discussed. JMO.
I don't think anyone has offered market value for Kirk. In my estimation, the market for Kirk is as limited as it is valuable. How many very good, to great teams, are a QB away from a championship? With that being the case, if I'm Minnesota management, I'm not giving away my top 10 QB for the right to slog around for the next 5-10 years hoping to to parlay 2 low 2nd rd. picks over a couple years into the long shot that we find our QBOF.

As to your supposition of what Kirk and his agent might ask for and the aversion to that prospect GM's would have; Isn't that exactly what LA did with Detroit? LA was in fact willing to mortgage the future on what they saw as the missing link to win a SB right away. I see no reason to drop Kirk into the lap of a team like SF for less than championship value. I'd be perfectly happy watching them squander the careers of their current top players. JMO

@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:

In addition to all of that, the Vikings are not interested in Trey Lance.    The team that burned huge draft capital on him wants to be rid of him after just 2 years.    You don't trade Kirk for a kid who's got bust written all over him.   

@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:

I don't think anyone has offered market value for Kirk. In my estimation, the market for Kirk is as limited as it is valuable. How many very good, to great teams, are a QB away from a championship? With that being the case, if I'm Minnesota management, I'm not giving away my top 10 QB for the right to slog around for the next 5-10 years hoping to to parlay 2 low 2nd rd. picks over a couple years into the long shot that we find our QBOF.

As to your supposition of what Kirk and his agent might ask for and the aversion to that prospect GM's would have; Isn't that exactly what LA did with Detroit? LA was in fact willing to mortgage the future on what they saw as the missing link to win a SB right away. I see no reason to drop Kirk into the lap of a team like SF for less than championship value. I'd be perfectly happy watching them squander the careers of their current top players. JMO

I can't remember the specific number but Stafford was traded at the tail end of his contract and was around a 18 million CAP hit for the Rams that one year which allowed them to further load up the roster.  Kirk is not going anywhere for 18 million even for one year.  Much different circumstances IMO 

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:

I can't remember the specific number but Stafford was traded at the tail end of his contract and was around a 18 million CAP hit for the Rams that one year which allowed them to further load up the roster.  Kirk is not going anywhere for 18 million even for one year.  Much different circumstances IMO 
I also don't remember specifics, but I believe that getting rid of Goff offset a bunch of the cap savings from getting Stafford.  I think they just decided to go all in and backload a bunch of stuff all around, and it worked because they had immediate success.

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"mgobluevikes" said:
@"supafreak84" said:
@"Greylock" said:

for the right trade compensation I could see the Vikings eating 15 million of Kirks cap hit this year... for the right compensation.

How the hell did this turn into Kirk Cousins? LOL. Is this Kirko's Law? Which, according to Webster's, says that every discussion, if it goes on long enough, eventually becomes about Kirk Cousins? 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
How the hell did this turn into Kirk Cousins? LOL. Is this Kirko's Law? Which, according to Webster's, says that every discussion, if it goes on long enough, eventually becomes about Kirk Cousins? 
 if you trade Hunter, then why retain Cousins  and it was off from there.

Quote: @"JimmyinSD" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
 if you trade Hunter, then why retain Cousins  and it was off from there.
Because trading Cousins was never really an option...and it's especially not an option now, a month from training camp....because he has a no trade clause...because trading Cousins means you're not rebuilding, but tanking...because trading Cousins basically takes a sledgehammer to what should be one of the best offenses in the NFL in 2023....also dealing a staggering blow to contract talks involving Jefferson and Hockenson....potentially thwarting whatever long-term vision the Vikings have.