Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the 49ers and Vikings have serious talks about Cousins?
Apparently Shannahan just confirmed at the owners meeting is its Brock Purdy's show and he is their starter. Lance and Darnold will compete to be the backup.also confirmed Purdy will be out after surgery up to 8 months and would probably miss the first month of the season. This 49ers QB carousel is crazy. 

According to Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk, the 49ers inquired about a potential Kirk Cousins trade at the NFL Combine 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
According to Mike Florio at Pro Football Talk, the 49ers inquired about a potential Kirk Cousins trade at the NFL Combine 
This was before they signed Sam Darnold. I suspect if this is true, the 49ers were gauging the Vikings interest in Trey Lance and were turned down. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
This was before they signed Sam Darnold. I suspect if this is true, the 49ers were gauging the Vikings interest in Trey Lance and were turned down. 
I don't think the Darnold signing does anything in the way of dissuading any potential trades for them. Darnold is now a journeyman backup QB and could just as easily be cut in training camp

the fact that the niners have come out in March,  closer to the last season than the next season, and proclaimed a starter in a sense,  tells me that they are blowing some major smoke,  now maybe that has nothing to do with any rumors involving Cousins,  but something seems off to be making those types of claims about a low drafted rookie QB coming off an injury that required surgery.  sure the kid did a nice job,  but was it really enough to proclaim him the starter over a highly drafted but raw guy they were going to run with,  or a veteran that hasnt even been given a chance to get into the O,  but has more starting experience than the other 2 combined?  I dont buy it yet.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
the fact that the niners have come out in March,  closer to the last season than the next season, and proclaimed a starter in a sense,  tells me that they are blowing some major smoke,  now maybe that has nothing to do with any rumors involving Cousins,  but something seems off to be making those types of claims about a low drafted rookie QB coming off an injury that required surgery.  sure the kid did a nice job,  but was it really enough to proclaim him the starter over a highly drafted but raw guy they were going to run with,  or a veteran that hasnt even been given a chance to get into the O,  but has more starting experience than the other 2 combined?  I dont buy it yet.
When Purdy started, their offense took off. He clearly was the best QB for them last year.

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
@JimmyinSD said:
When Purdy started, their offense took off. He clearly was the best QB for them last year.
yes,  but they brought in a vet,  they have a lot invested in lance,  and in the grand scheme of things,  Purdy is still as big a question mark as the other 2,  why the rush to name him the starter?   I just am not buying that they are that in love with the notion that he  is the future of their franchise,  as much as they want to let on that they are comfortable with what they have.

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
Hard to say what's what during the NFL offseason, but Minnesota can't trade Cousins: they have nothing behind him. Maybe that changes at the end of this month in the Draft, but still.......he's definitely going to be here for the 2023 season. As he should. And of course there's no guarantee whomever they might move up for or draft at the QB position will pan out. But I think Geoff said it early last week and I agree: they'd love to have a rookie QB contract to work with for a few years in the cap game. And they also want 'their' guy. 

Like so many with Kirk Cousins: they like him and they appreciate him. Maybe even a lot. But they (current staff) don't love him. That's my opinion.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@supafreak84 said:
Hard to say what's what during the NFL offseason, but Minnesota can't trade Cousins: they have nothing behind him. Maybe that changes at the end of this month in the Draft, but still.......he's definitely going to be here for the 2023 season. As he should. And of course there's no guarantee whomever they might move up for or draft at the QB position will pan out. But I think Geoff said it early last week and I agree: they'd love to have a rookie QB contract to work with for a few years in the cap game. And they also want 'their' guy. 

Like so many with Kirk Cousins: they like him and they appreciate him. Maybe even a lot. But they (current staff) don't love him. That's my opinion.
Not true,  you are either a Kirk hater or nut sucker.... read this board,   there is no acceptable middle ground. :p

I can't see why the 49'ers would make this trade. They signed Darnold as a FA. If Purdy has to miss the start of the season, the rest of the 49'ers team is good enough that they can win with Darnold.