Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will the 49ers and Vikings have serious talks about Cousins?
Based on some of Kwesi's comments, I don't get the impression that Cousins is untouchable. The "He's good enough" comment is not a ringing endorsement. If they could still get JJ to sign and extension without Cousins, who knows what could happen.

Lynch is admitting they will need a Veteran. https://www.nfl.com/news/john-lynch-49er...dy-return-

I don't think the 49ers have enough draft capital to pull off a trade, but never say never. 

Lol.  This comment:

"A lot of people want to talk about what we didn't accomplish with him," Lynch said. "What I know is we won a lot of football games with Jimmy... "

I kind of feel like the 49ers are set at QB and just need an
insurance policy in case recovery takes longer, rather than someone like
Cousins.  If for some reason they wanted
to get more veteran and more expensive, I think we could do it with a swap for
Lance or Purdy + them giving us picks.  I
wouldn’t feel too excited trading for non-premium picks going into the draft
knowing you need to pick up a QB.  I’d
much rather pick up a QB and if he beats out Cousins all the better and if he
doesn’t, Cousins is still good.  We’re
not really the lions where any production you got out of Goff was a bonus.

Quote: @TBro said:
Based on some of Kwesi's comments, I don't get the impression that Cousins is untouchable. The "He's good enough" comment is not a ringing endorsement. If they could still get JJ to sign and extension without Cousins, who knows what could happen.

Lynch is admitting they will need a Veteran. https://www.nfl.com/news/john-lynch-49ers-might-add-veteran-quarterback-trey-lance-brock-purdy-return-

I don't think the 49ers have enough draft capital to pull off a trade, but never say never. 
I think the "threshold" comment sorta supports what I've been saying for years: forget the rankings, and terms like good, great, elite, which vary from year to year based on a hundred different factors. There are only two types of QBs in the NFL. Those you can win with and those you need to replace. Sounds like Kwesi thinks Cousins is in the 1st group. 

I agree with Medaille. 49ers are more likely looking for a cheaper veteran to hedge their bets on two young question marks. 

I live in northern Cali and all the talk on the radio is that they expect the 49ers to go after Matt Ryan once he is released in Indy. It would make sense being that he was the league MVP while playing under Shannahan in Atlanta and is certainly familiar with the offense. 

Quote: @supafreak84 said:
I live in northern Cali and all the talk on the radio is that they expect the 49ers to go after Matt Ryan once he is released in Indy. It would make sense being that he was the league MVP while playing under Shannahan in Atlanta and is certainly familiar with the offense. 
That actually does make a lot of sense. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@supafreak84 said:
That actually does make a lot of sense. 
Agree. I don't think the 49ers will have interest in Kirk. The compensation won't work for the Vikings (they lack picks) and Kirk's cap number doesn't really fit into their roster construction. It isn't impossible but there are a number of limiting constraints. 

If Kwesi hands him another extension he is tying his career to Cousins.

That did not end well for the last two people running the Vikings.

Whether or not you put even one iota of blame on the QB, the strategy of paying top dollar for a QB did not produce the desired results.

This year was unfathomable with all the late comebacks and one score wins.

Losing the Giants at home was a horrible way to go out and should question the validity of the 13 wins.

The defense is a ways off IMO.  May take two drafts and free agent periods to get it back to being average or above average.

Kwesi has the chance to reset and should do it even if he keeps Cousins.

I am hoping for a bold offseason and not more of the same by running it back.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:

Whether or not you put even one iota of blame on the QB, the strategy of paying top dollar for a QB did not produce the desired results.

Losing the Giants at home was a horrible way to go out and should question the validity of the 13 wins.

The defense is a ways off IMO.  May take two drafts and free agent periods to get it back to being average or above average.

You realize 31/32 QBs dont get the “desired result” right?  You cant blame NYG on Kirk. He played lights out and did pretty much all year long. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@MarkSP18 said:

You realize 31/32 QBs dont get the “desired result” right?  You cant blame NYG on Kirk. He played lights out and did pretty much all year long. 
Cousins performance against the Giants ranked highest among all QBs in the playoffs. A middle-tier defense and we win that game by 14.