Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Reich wants Evero
Quote: @TBro said:
Pettine truly is a mixed bag. He had great success with the Jets, and struggled with the Browns as their Head Coach but who doesn't. He had some great years with the Packers and also had some epic collapses in the playoffs. I do like that he is a Rex Ryan disciple. Although he gets considered as a 3-4 guy, Ryan's defense mainly used the 3-3-5 and in some cases a 1-3-7 in obvious passing downs to confuse the QB and the OLine on who was blitzing. We could certainly do worse. The advantage of hiring Pettine is that he would be here for several years which will give him, Kwesi, and KOC time to focus on the rebuild on that side of the ball. Evero will be one and done with the Panthers, and so would Flores if he doesn't get the Cardinals job this year. We need some stability on defense and he might be the best guy to bring that. My concern is what was he doing with Donatell? Was Ed so rigid that he wouldn't take advice from his Coaches? Who knows. I guess the fact he was fired after one season and Pettine is still employed is a strong indicator of where the problem was. 
Pettine said the right things on his kfan interviews,  he sold the obvious without throwing onatell under the bus.  He saw the problems. But was a team guy first... of course if he cut onatell down he may have never got another job again.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@TBro said:
Pettine truly is a mixed bag. He had great success with the Jets, and struggled with the Browns as their Head Coach but who doesn't. He had some great years with the Packers and also had some epic collapses in the playoffs. I do like that he is a Rex Ryan disciple. Although he gets considered as a 3-4 guy, Ryan's defense mainly used the 3-3-5 and in some cases a 1-3-7 in obvious passing downs to confuse the QB and the OLine on who was blitzing. We could certainly do worse. The advantage of hiring Pettine is that he would be here for several years which will give him, Kwesi, and KOC time to focus on the rebuild on that side of the ball. Evero will be one and done with the Panthers, and so would Flores if he doesn't get the Cardinals job this year. We need some stability on defense and he might be the best guy to bring that. My concern is what was he doing with Donatell? Was Ed so rigid that he wouldn't take advice from his Coaches? Who knows. I guess the fact he was fired after one season and Pettine is still employed is a strong indicator of where the problem was. 
Pettine said the right things on his kfan interviews,  he sold the obvious without throwing onatell under the bus.  He saw the problems. But was a team guy first... of course if he cut onatell down he may have never got another job again.
so much for the warm fuzziness.

I guess I'm not surprised he wouldn't hitch his wagon to a defense that won't be fixed in one year. He probably has a better chance to ascend to the head coaching ranks by going to Carolina. But Reich won't be taking anyone to the superbowl. He is vastly over rated.
I would take KOC over Reich every day of the week. 
So maybe it's a setback. Then again, maybe it's not!

We screwed the pooch when we apparently failed to offer Nielsen. This organization is arrogant enough to think guys a step away from HC gigs want to come rebuild a defense with gaping holes.

Quote: @mgobluevikes said:
We screwed the pooch when we apparently failed to offer Nielsen. This organization is arrogant enough to think guys a step away from HC gigs want to come rebuild a defense with gaping holes.
We had another GM that thought he was smarter than everyone else. With Kwesi, I'm not sure if it's arrogance, inexperience, or a combination of both. 

I think it's unlikely that Flores gets the Cards HC job. With kazillions committed to Murray, they're probably better off with an offensive coach. 

Don't want Pettine. But only because he had a hand in last year's debacle. That may not be fair considering none of us are privy to how it went down. Who knows, maybe he was screaming his head off for change, only to be rebuffed by his boss. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I think it's unlikely that Flores gets the Cards HC job. With kazillions committed to Murray, they're probably better off with an offensive coach. 

Don't want Pettine. But only because he had a hand in last year's debacle. That may not be fair considering none of us are privy to how it went down. Who knows, maybe he was screaming his head off for change, only to be rebuffed by his boss. 
If that was the case, why did they get rid of Kingsbury? I think Steve Keim was the main issue with Cardinals, especially the past two seasons with his health issues. Hopkins suspension and Murray's ACL injury derailed the 2022 season and Kingsbury was collateral damage after Keim left the Team. The Bidwell family has always made questionable decisions with that franchise so I have zero faith they will get it right this time. Flores might be their best option because he wants another shot to show everyone he can be a good Head Coach and Murray's contract is a boat anchor that a lot of Coaching candidates will run away from.  

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Thank you for this MB. You sensical statements above (especially in regard to Pettine) described where I've been with Pettine and like you said, who knows what was really going on behind the scenes or even within Pettine's mind at the time.

Quote: @PurplePastor said:
@MaroonBells said:

Thank you for this MB. You sensical statements above (especially in regard to Pettine) described where I've been with Pettine and like you said, who knows what was really going on behind the scenes or even within Pettine's mind at the time.
we know that all members of a staff arent always lock step,  think back to when Norv was doing his thing and Shurmur was ready and willing to go a different direction.  Like I said,  I felt from the KFan bits he did that he wasnt happy with where the D was last season,  but he wasnt outwardly pointing fingers.  Maybe it was just his  vanilla coach speak, but it seemed like he wanted to say more,  but was to professional to do so.

Pettine sure doesn't move the needle for me, but he's not as bad as it would seem. 10 years as a DC, six times finished in the top 10.