Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Detroit is going to be a tough game
Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
A loss Sunday and it will be mini-panic time in Minneapolis. I'm a Cousins fan, but he'll be 35 years old next year, wouldn't mind nabbing a QB high IF the team ends up being worse than we thought. 

Still plenty of football to be played. Not giving up. 
Well I'm happy to hear you're not giving up after one loss, Sticky. 16-1 isn't really THAT bad. :-)

But I hate that we play the Lions here. I'd rather be playing the Bucs or Rams here, or pretty much anyone else. I'm always more afraid of the young upstarts desperate to prove themselves. Vikings are 7.5 favorites, but I think that's a little high. 

I would say it's probably time to draft a QB regardless of how Cousins finishes. Even if he wins MVP and the Vikings extend him, the Vikings should probably dip into that great '23 QB class. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
A loss Sunday and it will be mini-panic time in Minneapolis. I'm a Cousins fan, but he'll be 35 years old next year, wouldn't mind nabbing a QB high IF the team ends up being worse than we thought. 

Well I'm happy to hear you're not giving up after one loss, Sticky. 16-1 isn't really THAT bad. :-)

But I hate that we play the Lions here. I'd rather be playing the Bucs or Rams here, or pretty much anyone else. I'm always more afraid of the young upstarts desperate to prove themselves. Vikings are 7.5 favorites, but I think that's a little high. 

I would say it's probably time to draft a QB regardless of how Cousins finishes. Even if he wins MVP and the Vikings extend him, the Vikings should probably dip into that great '23 QB class. 

I was thinking the same just a few days ago...

what's becoming clearer to me is that KC has probably plateaued and with a new regime its time to think about how to get better there. 

KC is good but will never be great. 

My biggest fear in this game is that KOC will overreact to last week's lack of carries for Dalvin and force feed him against a pretty good Lions front four in a desperate attempt to achieve better balance. 

The offense has to start stacking 1st downs together, regardless of whether it's through the air or on the ground. Balance comes from success, not the other way around. 

@"StickyBun" said:

That is a surprising, and I think, new take from you!  I think you are one of the most informed/knowledgeable posters, so I value your opinions but don't always agree of course. I advocated for that approach last year of course and definitely advocate for that after this season.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

That is a surprising, and I think, new take from you!  I think you are one of the most informed/knowledgeable posters, so I value your opinions but don't always agree of course. I advocated for that approach last year of course and definitely advocate for that after this season.  
It's not a new take. I've been saying that for months. But it's less about simply drafting "A" QB than about tapping into what should be one of the best QB classes in years.  

@"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

It's not a new take. I've been saying that for months. But it's less about simply drafting "A" QB than about tapping into what should be one of the best QB classes in years.  
I know you have been saying this is a make or break year for Cousins but the "regardless of how Cousins finished" is new to me.  We had gone back and forth on this since before the last draft.  

I think we saw some of the same old Kirk in Philly and that maybe moved you closer to the "regardless" Smile  

Anyway, I think we are going to be closer to the same opinion on Kirk at the end of the year than we have been in the beginning.   Unfortunately for us no solace in being right about Kirk because I am still pulling for him to show up in a couple big games in a row.  

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"minny65" said:
@"MaroonBells" said:
@"StickyBun" said:

I know you have been saying this is a make or break year for Cousins but the "regardless of how Cousins finished" is new to me.  We had gone back and forth on this since before the last draft.  

I think we saw some of the same old Kirk in Philly and that maybe moved you closer to the "regardless" Smile  

Anyway, I think we are going to be closer to the same opinion on Kirk at the end of the year than we have been in the beginning.   Unfortunately for us no solace in being right about Kirk because I am still pulling for him to show up in a couple big games in a row.  
No, it's all about the QB class. See my posts about Will Levis. That said, I fully expect Cousins to go on and have a great year. As I've said before, ideally, he plays well, we extend him again AND draft a QB. 

There's a calculation here that shouldn't be missed. If we extend Cousins, that will give us the headroom to sign Jefferson. The two can coexist for a couple years after that, assuming the early years have lower cap hits, which is how 99% of contracts are written. But when they balloon, they probably can't, and that's when you're going to want to have a QB who's been developing on the bench for a year or two. 

There you go---time to have Kirks replacement in the equation.  Makes no sense to keep paying and praying for the second coming at Qb. after the KC era.