Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Mond
Quote: @StickyBun said:
Mond is still slow to react, his processor isn't fast. That's worrisome. But he's better than Mannion.
This is exactly it with Mond, he has all of the physical tools and so you expect him to make plays, but as you perfectly said, he doesn't process things in real time, the best example was the play near the goal line, at the start of the play he has the primary WR wide open on a slant and never seems to see him or look his way, then after a nice scramble he had his choice of two wide open receivers that he could have just lobbed a TD pass to and he inexplicably throws it between them and way high.  He looks lost out there and doesn't seem like he has an awareness of everything going around him, I am not sure if that is something QBs just have or if that is something he can develop.  

There is a lot of talent on this team, if I were the GM I would be looking for another backup option right now.  I still don't understand why we didn't take a shot on drafting someone.  

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
So....what is Mond's history? The more he plays, the better he gets. That's his rep. Get his ass in there at #2 and let him improve with more reps. Mannion needs to be gone. Period. Mond is still slow to react, his processor isn't fast. That's worrisome. But he's better than Mannion.
Agreed. At least with Mond you have the hope of upside, of improvement. That's not going to happen with Mannion. If there was a reason to bring him to camp to help the other QBs with the offense, cool. He did his job. Good on ya, Sean. Now be on your way. 
The Mond scramble (very nice) and then airmail ball (not that nice) that had a wide open guy in the end zone was so cringe. Sigh. 
Wasn't able to set his feet prior to the throw. Hopefully, that's something that can be cleaned up.

My issue with getting another backup QB is, who exactly is available that would be an upgrade? If Cousins gets hurt, we're cooked anyway. There's only a small handful of backups out there that I'd say you can make do through a few games. Plus, whoever you bring in is going to be expected to learn a new offense 3 weeks before the start of the regular season.

I'd roll with Mond for now and try to get him as many backup reps as possible. That'll be the only was he stops thinking about what to do and rather start feeling the game.

Quote: @jargomcfargo said:
Mond was drafted as a developmental project. He received virtually no development last year. Hard to understand fans who want to dump him due to some shaky practices. Get him some experience and see if he improves. His stats weren't bad. He had some good plays and some not so good. Seems that is what one should expect at this point. A couple more pre season games will give us a better indication as to whether he is good enough to be QB 2. He has already beat out Mannion but we aren't just looking for someone to hold a clip board. Time will tell.
I can't speak for anyone else, but I personally think it would be foolish to dump him. Just give him the development he needs this year and next. But all it takes is rolled ankle for Cousins and our promising season is pretty much toast. I'm for replacing Mannion with a more capable QB and keeping Mond in the cooker. 

Quote: @PurpleCrush said:
My issue with getting another backup QB is, who exactly is available that would be an upgrade? If Cousins gets hurt, we're cooked anyway. There's only a small handful of backups out there that I'd say you can make do through a few games. Plus, whoever you bring in is going to be expected to learn a new offense 3 weeks before the start of the regular season.

I'd roll with Mond for now and try to get him as many backup reps as possible. That'll be the only was he stops thinking about what to do and rather start feeling the game.
You never know, I think we might have had said the same thing about Bradford - Keenum in 2017.

A Nick Mullens, a Minshew, could thrive surrounded by the best WR duo and one of the best RB groupings in the league.  There is a lot of talent on this offense.

Quote: @Skodin said:
@PurpleCrush said:

You never know, I think we might have had said the same thing about Bradford - Keenum in 2017.

A Nick Mullens, a Minshew, could thrive surrounded by the best WR duo and one of the best RB groupings in the league.  There is a lot of talent on this offense.
You're right, you never really do know. But how many of those guys would you say are available at the moment? Maybe Mullens. I doubt Philly would let go of Minshew. Maybe Darnold when he loses out to Baker, but Carolina would have to eat a hefty portion of that salary.

I think the team wants Mond to win the job, hence why Mannion was the only option brought in and no draft pick either.

I like what Mike Tomlin said about young QB’s, you draft them for their talent, it’s then up to the coaches & the player to develop the skills needed to utilize that talent… so true.

When Vikings quarterback Kellen Mond threw his first NFL preseason touchdown pass on Sunday, 13 members of his family had a close view.Mond’s father, Kevin, and his mother, Leticia, were seated along with other relatives at the 10-yard line, about 20 rows up at Allegiant Stadium, when Mond hit Albert Wilson on a 2-yard slant in the third quarter of the Vikings’ 26-20 loss to the Las Vegas Raiders. In the fourth quarter, they watched Mond hit Wilson with another touchdown pass, this one covering 20 yards. But that one happened on the other side of the field.
The second-year quarterback out of Texas A&M looked good in Minnesota’s preseason opener, completing 9 of 14 passes for 119 yards and the two touchdowns. He had a sparkling passer rating of 130.7.
“It was exciting,” Kevin Mond said Monday. “We’re really, really happy for him. I think we’ll only see him get better. He just needs reps.”

With Cousins sitting out against the Raiders after testing positive for COVID, Mannion got the start Sunday and played 25 snaps to 26 for Mond. Mannion completed 8 of 12 passes for 79 yards and a passer rating of 85.1 and didn’t lead the Vikings to a touchdown in his four series.

During the weekend, Mond’s family members saw him for about 45 minutes at the team hotel Saturday night in Las Vegas and for about 20 minutes after the game. Mond’s father said his son was upbeat after his showing against the Raiders.
“He’s happy,” Kevin Mond said. “He’s proud of himself, I will say that. Not to be conceited, but he knows he did well. …. He knows he can play. … But he knows what he needs to do (moving forward).”

Speaking with reporters after the game, Mond said he was mostly pleased with his performance but that there is still much work to do. This week, the Vikings will have joint practices with San Francisco on Wednesday and Thursday at the TCO Performance Center and then face the 49ers in a preseason game at 6 p.m. Saturday at U.S. Bank Stadium.
“(I’ve) got to continue to stack days,” Mond said. “I’ve got to come back this week and figure out how I can continue to get better, and that’s kind of my main focus.”
O’Connell and Mond agreed the play that turned things around was a 22-yard strike to Dan Chisena down the left side on fourth-and-5 midway through the third quarter. That led to the first touchdown pass to Wilson, when he rifled the ball into the hands of the veteran receiver.

“The one thing I told him is really after what you saw on that fourth-down conversion to Dan, that was the decisiveness,” O’Connell said. “His first progression was taken away, quiet in the pocket, just progressed in rhythm and threw an absolute beautiful ball to Dan.”
O’Connell said Mond showed continued “growth” on a fourth-quarter drive that led to the 20-yard touchdown pass to Wilson on the right side of the end zone with 3:44 left in the game. Key passes before the TD were strikes of 21 and 16 yards to Myron Mitchell and 16 yards to rookie Jalen Nailor.
https://www.twincities.com/2022/08/15/vi...is-family/

Mannion shouldn't see a single snap the rest of the preseason.  I know he will, but he shouldn't.  Work Mond until he either thinks faster or dies trying  :p

If you're going to bring in another QB, ideally that QB will have some experience in the foundations of the KOC offense. That narrows the field considerably. Off of the top of my head, I can't think of any that might be available for a trade that won't cost more than a Day #3 pick.

As a side note, how bad must've Nate Stanley been that he couldn't compete with Mannion or Mond?