Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cousins for Mayfield deal in the works?
Cousins isnt going anywhere. Buckle up because an extention is almost a sure thing. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
Cousins isnt going anywhere. Buckle up because an extention is almost a sure thing. 

I think that depends on his willingness to work on a more reasonable extension or who the new coach will be 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
Until I see Mary Kay Cabot, involved this is nothing but pure speculation imo. 
And, she did.

Wrote a piece speculating on the Browns acquiring a vet QB. Carr, Rodgers, Wilson, etc.

Purely a throw shit against the wall and see what sticks.

Nothing to see here. 

Quote: @"Havoc1649" said:
I’m not buying this. It would be an absolutely moronic trade by the Vikings. Save very little, take a big hit in QB play, and get a 3r for the trouble? 2 firsts would be minimum. Dumb idea. 

Would Mayfield in a McConnell ran offense interest you? If so there's one first round pick and he would flourish if used in the same fashion Kyler Murray is used. If Cousins met his conditions, there's another first round pick, plus the 3rd this year. What do you believe Cousins value to be, and which other team would give the Vikings this type of deal? If the decision is to move on from Cousins and his contract, it's probably the Browns, Redskins, and a couple other teams that make sense and that's it 

This isn't a full on rebuild but it's a roster that needs tweaking, changes, and is up against the cap. The Wilfs have committed to Kwesi and his vision for four years. I'm assuming that will also go with whomever he selects to be coach. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"Havoc1649" said:
I’m not buying this. It would be an absolutely moronic trade by the Vikings. Save very little, take a big hit in QB play, and get a 3r for the trouble? 2 firsts would be minimum. Dumb idea. 

Would Mayfield in a McConnell ran offense interest you? If so there's one first round pick and he would flourish if used in the same fashion Kyler Murray is used. If Cousins met his conditions, there's another first round pick, plus the 3rd this year. What do you believe Cousins value to be, and which other team would give the Vikings this type of deal? If the decision is to move on from Cousins and his contract, it's probably the Browns, Redskins, and a couple other teams that make sense and that's it 

This isn't a full on rebuild but it's a roster that needs tweaking, changes, and is up against the cap. The Wilfs have committed to Kwesi and his vision for four years. I'm assuming that will also go with whomever he selects to be coach. 
Think the Redskins, I mean Washington football team, have pretty much burned the Kirk Cousins bridge for any future reunion.

Quote: @"Vikeking2" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Until I see Mary Kay Cabot involved this is nothing but pure speculation imo. 
wish i could find it. but i saw earlier a story that said she was one of the first to bring it up. the story had a screenshot of her on a podcast. 
https://www.cleveland.com/browns/2022/01...cabot.html

"The Browns also have obvious connections to Cousins, who spent two seasons in Minnesota with Kevin Stefanski -- in 2018 as his QB coach then interim offensive coordinator, and 2019 as his full-time coordinator. In 2019, Cousins went 10-5 and finished with a career-high 107.4 rating, fourth in the NFL. He also threw 26 touchdowns against a career-low six interceptions. He completed 69.1 of his attempts and set a Vikings season record for completions with 425 and the second-most passing yards (4,298).
The Vikings are searching for a head coach to replace the fired Mike Zimmer, and hired their new GM on Tuesday in former Browns Vice President of Football Operations Kwesi Adofo-Mensah. If the Vikings opt for a new QB, Adofo-Mensah and Berry could possibly discuss a trade for Cousins, fourth last season with a 103.1 rating, that may or may not involve Mayfield. The Vikings have the No. 12 pick in the draft, one ahead of the Browns.
Cousins, whose future will depend in large part on the new coach, has a base salary of $35 million in 2022, the final year of his contract. Mayfield is heading into his fifth-year option year at $18.858 million."

Quote: @"minny65" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
Mayfield is owed 18M this year.  You want us to pick up 25M of Kirks salary.  That's a cap savings of $2M and a third rounder plus a conditional.
I know some of yall hate Kirk but damn, the guy is a top couple QB.  Lets see what a new coach can get out of him before we kick him to the curb.  Its not like there's a Mahomes/Allen in the draft we can go get. 
Mayfield is in his last year contract at close to $19

We are on the hook for $10 million for Kirk no matter what - signing bonus.  Kirk's 2022 salary is 35.

If the Browns were to assume 25 million then that leaves us with 20 to Kirk to not play for us and the 19 million for Mayfield = 39 million vs 45 million as is now - savings of 6 million.

So, you have a 4th year QB, age 26, who has showed flashes of above average play IMO (injuries destroyed his progress last year), save 6 million, get a 3rd this year, and a potential 1st rounder in 2023???  Or you stick with Cousin, who's only 33, never injured, and easily a Top 10 QB or higher but you have $45 million committed to him but you can extend and reduce that number by more than 6 million probably??

The above scenario, right now for me, I would want a little more from Cleveland.  

This will be Kwesi's second biggest decision after hiring a HC.  I think it will come down to if Kwesi thinks we are a few fixes/players away and stick with a redo Cousins or do we start a 2 year rebuild with a guy like Mayfield having a shot.  

I'd take Mayfield over Cousins in a heartbeat. Especially, with a 3rd this year and a 1st rounder in 2023?  You kidding' me?

Done like dinner. And I like KC. 

Quote: @"supafreak84" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
Mayfield is owed 18M this year.  You want us to pick up 25M of Kirks salary.  That's a cap savings of $2M and a third rounder plus a conditional.
I know some of yall hate Kirk but damn, the guy is a top couple QB.  Lets see what a new coach can get out of him before we kick him to the curb.  Its not like there's a Mahomes/Allen in the draft we can go get. 

No @"AGRforever" said:
Quote:

No under the proposal Clevland would pick up 25 million of Cousins salary and the Vikings would only be on the hook for 10 million this season..

I'd personally love to see Mayfield in a more wide open offense. Cleveland would be perfect for Cousins. Heavy run game for play action and the offensive line is solid. I think he could thrive there under Stefanski again and Mayfield may finally come around to being the player everyone expected. As far as trade scenarios go, this one is certainly plausible and beneficial for both franchises. 
I'm pretty sure Kirk's salary is 35 million plus 10 million SB = 45

If the Browns pick up 25 million we are still 20 in the hole.  The 10 million is fixed in any trade because signing bonus.  

Then you add Mayfield at 19 so we would have 39 million sunk into the starting QB vs 45 million if we stay the course (less if we extend).  

The Vikings would have to eat part of his salary. Either way they are still in the hole. 

Quote: @"Vikeking2" said:
@"purplefaithful" said:
Until I see Mary Kay Cabot involved this is nothing but pure speculation imo. 
wish i could find it. but i saw earlier a story that said she was one of the first to bring it up. the story had a screenshot of her on a podcast. 
https://kfan.iheart.com/content/2022-01-...ins-trade/

The biggest reason for trading Kirk is to fix our cap.  Paying for Baker and part of Kirk's deal doesn't do that.  Just more...