Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its a really crappy NFL QB Draft class upcoming isn't it?
Quote: @Mighty mouse said:
@Knucklehead said:
I mentioned Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky in another thread as a prospect that I'm keeping an eye on as the evaluation period continues. Won't be a first round pick & I'm unsure where he'll be drafted. Selected to play in the Senior Bowl on 2/5, so I'm eager to see how he fares against higher level competition.

My only reservation about drafting him is that he's probably not as good as a prospect as Mond & if you're going to draft another QB to develop, it should be one with a higher ceiling.
Quote:
Desmond RidderQB6-4215CincinnatiSR

I may legit break my tv if the Vikes take Desmond Ridder. Watched enough Cincy games this year to realize he aint it.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Mighty mouse said:
@Knucklehead said:
I mentioned Bailey Zappe of Western Kentucky in another thread as a prospect that I'm keeping an eye on as the evaluation period continues. Won't be a first round pick & I'm unsure where he'll be drafted. Selected to play in the Senior Bowl on 2/5, so I'm eager to see how he fares against higher level competition.

My only reservation about drafting him is that he's probably not as good as a prospect as Mond & if you're going to draft another QB to develop, it should be one with a higher ceiling.
Quote:
Desmond RidderQB6-4215CincinnatiSR

I may legit break my tv if the Vikes take Desmond Ridder. Watched enough Cincy games this year to realize he aint it.
See you at BestBuy.

Kenny Pickett, Pittsburgh: 
Continued Solid Decision-Making Around Different Players

It’s hard to knock Pickett for, well, much of anything after his meteoric rise. Pickett has looked a lot like former LSU quarterback Joe Burrow in multiple ways in his playing style, showing a high level of accuracy at all levels of the field and mobility to both get himself out of bad situations and to make plays in his own right. Pickett is a quarterback who can both evade pressure and be used on designed quarterback runs at the next level.
However, there are some scouts who seem to believe Pickett’s offensive line made up for inconsistent timing on throws and that he sometimes resorts to a run when he should stay in the pocket and get it off to a receiver instead. He’ll have a chance to continue putting doubts like that to rest with yet another chance to shine at the Senior Bowl.
Malik Willis, Liberty: 
Improvement as a Passer

Willis was a hot name early on this season, looking just as effective of a passer as he was a pure athlete. The latter is something he’s received a lot of praise for because of his Houdini-like ability to get out of seemingly impossible situations using his legs, then going and making a play on the ground or finding someone to get the ball off to.
However, Willis’ game through the air quickly deteriorated as the season went on—something that’s obvious in both the film and the stat sheet—and he had three games with three interceptions against secondaries that were far from anything to write home about. Looking at his last three games of the season, his highest completion percentage was just over 54%. The argument has been made that Willis doesn’t have the right supporting cast to showcase his abilities through the air, but he’s also lacked touch and has made questionable decisions throwing the ball.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
I'd say 60% he gets extended, say 3 years for $105 million
35% chance he gets traded, for a deal slightly richer than what the Eagles got for Wentz
5% chance he plays out existing contract.
The thing you posted on the other thread about how Kwesi/Cleveland were hesitant to extend Baker was interesting. I think Kirk is quite a bit better than Baker but still, it’s a similar situation of, “yeah this guy is good, but can we win a championship?”. What KAM does here will be very telling with how he sees Kirk for sure.

Sidenote this is also the reason I don’t see Cleveland as a likely trade destination for Kirk, despite the speculation. 
With KAM being an analytics guy, you wonder if he'll look at Cousins and decide he can build a better team with a cheaper QB and the draft assets you'd get from trading Cousins?
I'd be surprised if that's what the analytics tell him, but it's possible. 
Why would you be surprised?  We've seen Kirk with a top defense for two years and bad defenses for two years...  all while having great weapons and a decent OL... and we have one playoff appearance and no division titles.  If you look at what we did the 4 years prior, we won the division twice and made an NFCCG with lesser QBs in Teddy and Case.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:
35% chance he gets traded, for a deal slightly richer than what the Eagles got for Wentz
The thing you posted on the other thread about how Kwesi/Cleveland were hesitant to extend Baker was interesting. I think Kirk is quite a bit better than Baker but still, it’s a similar situation of, “yeah this guy is good, but can we win a championship?”. What KAM does here will be very telling with how he sees Kirk for sure.

Sidenote this is also the reason I don’t see Cleveland as a likely trade destination for Kirk, despite the speculation. 
With KAM being an analytics guy, you wonder if he'll look at Cousins and decide he can build a better team with a cheaper QB and the draft assets you'd get from trading Cousins?
Why would you be surprised?  We've seen Kirk with a top defense for two years and bad defenses for two years...  all while having great weapons and a decent OL... and we have one playoff appearance and no division titles.  If you look at what we did the 4 years prior, we won the division twice and made an NFCCG with lesser QBs in Teddy and Case.

Because, IMO, analytics are going to tell him that having a good QB is important. Because analytics are going to show him just how hard it is to find a good QB. Because analytics are going to show him that Kirk Cousins is a good QB. Because analytics are going to show him that team wins and losses are a nearly useless factor in determining which is which. 
Yes, analytics are also going to show him that paying $45M of our cap to the QB is unsustainable and he’ll either need to be extended or traded. All of which we already knew. 

What they won't tell him, IMO, is that building a winner comes via a mediocre QB you might get for 10-20M less per year. They also won't tell him how KC fits with the yet-to-be-hired head coach, or the "collective over self" culture he's trying to establish. Yes, that comment was about the HC search, but I think it may have been a shot at Cousins too. 
Lotta factors at play.

Vikings and QBs, 

[Image: p6cgc65pp2z9.gif]

I could see analytics taking place in drafting QBs or signing a backup vet. You need a broader sample size of data and a QB usually provides that unlike any other position in football. Baseball has a ton of data to input, not so much with football. 

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

True, but one season with a division title was where Rodgers played 7 games. Let's not forget making the NFCCG after blowing a 17 point halftime lead. The other division title season Teddy couldn't do a damn thing in the playoff game vs Seattle. 

I dont give a shit about division titles, I care about playoff wins. Kirk won one...and boy did he win one. Case won one with the greatest play in Vikings history. Kirk won a playoff game when the team had the #5 best scoring defense. Case won one with the #1 best scoring defense. No Vikings QB probably ever would have won a playoff game with the defense we have had the last 2 years. Neither QB had a decent OL...maybe the 2017 team had a decent OL. The rest of the years were pathetic.

Team game

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

True, but one season with a division title was where Rodgers played 7 games. Let's not forget making the NFCCG after blowing a 17 point halftime lead. The other division title season Teddy couldn't do a damn thing in the playoff game vs Seattle. 

I dont give a shit about division titles, I care about playoff wins. Kirk won one...and boy did he win one. Case won one with the greatest play in Vikings history. Kirk won a playoff game when the team had the #5 best scoring defense. Case won one with the #1 best scoring defense. No Vikings QB probably ever would have won a playoff game with the defense we have had the last 2 years. Neither QB had a decent OL...maybe the 2017 team had a decent OL. The rest of the years were pathetic.

Team game
Me too, playoff wins is what I care about. Don't care about the rest. And we made a NFCCG because of the flukiest play in Minnesota Vikings history, otherwise it would have been one and done and a huge disappointment. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Hawkvike25 said:
@Wetlander said:
@MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
@pattersaur said:
@JustinTime18™ said:

Team game
Me too, playoff wins is what I care about. Don't care about the rest. And we made a NFCCG because of the flukiest play in Minnesota Vikings history, otherwise it would have been one and done and a huge disappointment. 
Well, that's not the whole story. The whole story is that we dominated them in the early going. Score was 17-0 at the half and it looked like a laugher in the making. We let them back in (largely behind a back-foot pop fly pick Keenum threw and a blocked punt), then gave them the lead in the final minute.

Sound familiar? Sound like a half dozen games in 2021?