Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Its interesting with Cousins.....
Quote: @"pattersaur" said:
Giving Kirk 5 more years because your ex-GM signed him to a bad deal last time and because this year’s rookie QB class isn’t highly touted would be would be peak Vikings. Please no.

If you trade Cousins, you might as well start looking at QBs in the 23 draft not this draft.  Suck it up badly this coming year.  May be you start Mond or something in 22 and if it goes terrible then we have a very high pick waiting for us.  If you're going this route though, we really need to clean house on older veterans.  Even fan favorites.  Blow up the roster and get busy finding the next decades worth of stars. 

Quote: @"AGRforever" said:
@"pattersaur" said:
Giving Kirk 5 more years because your ex-GM signed him to a bad deal last time and because this year’s rookie QB class isn’t highly touted would be would be peak Vikings. Please no.

If you trade Cousins, you might as well start looking at QBs in the 23 draft not this draft.  Suck it up badly this coming year.  May be you start Mond or something in 22 and if it goes terrible then we have a very high pick waiting for us.  If you're going this route though, we really need to clean house on older veterans.  Even fan favorites.  Blow up the roster and get busy finding the next decades worth of stars. 
I'm in the same boat. There are some teams with enough cap space to trade for Kirk and then extend his contract so it's less of a hit this year (Broncos, Panthers, WFT). I dont have much of an appetite for a QB in the first or second round this year so go get a lock down corner and get another stud defensive player and let's see what 2023 brings.

I would like to point out that in the game last night they said Stetson Bennett may only be 5'9 but when he and Bryce Young shook hands they almost seemed like the same height so does that mean Bryce Young is only 5'9 or 5'10? Or are my eyes really that bad?

@"pattersaur" said:

Good Lord....

Starting Mond?! A Minnshew, Drew Locke or Andie Dalton type?

Yuck. Thats what we're looking at. 

All the dust is still rising from the nuke the Wilfs dropped on Eagan yesterday. But the best case scenario I see (to be competitive shorter term) is sign KC to a team friendlier extension and keep going back to the draft well for QB of tomorrow.

Buys them time to shop and curate a kid qb and I say KC is better than the potential alternatives that'll be available. 

The two big questions for me on this are:
Is he open to a team friendlier deal? He's indicated yes
Will he be a scheme fit for new HC??? 

Quote: @"purplefaithful" said:
@"AGRforever" said:
@"pattersaur" said:

Good Lord....

Will he be a scheme fit for new HC??? 
Agree, the Wilf's are going to be methodical.  

Find the best GM, who will find his HC, who will decide on his QB plan.  

What it comes down to for me is do I think the Vikings have a better shot at winning a Super Bowl in the next 5 years with Kirk Cousins, or with whatever is behind Door #2. 

Personally, gimme door #2. I know many will disagree and that’s fine. 

Also, I know tanking for a QB generally doesn’t work and even if you get your guy it’s more of a 3-4 year process back to being good than it is one year. That would be a grind for a team that’s used to at least being competitive. Neither option is ideal but I’d still prefer this to paying 38 (39?) year old Kirk $40+ mil. 

The third option is the best option if we can actually get a solid return for Kirk, as Guru indicates. Let’s say we ship him to PIT for their first round pick. Would our 2 firsts this year plus one next year be enough to get Wilson? Watson if he’s in the clear? This would be the priority for me, if humanly possible. Draft OL in the 2nd and 3rd this year to make the offense as potent as possible. Defense will be atrocious again for one more year because we’ll have no money after eating much of Kirk’s salary plus paying Russ, but the offense is set. Load up on defense the following year with everything you got. I realize this scenario is extremely unlikely but with a new regime coming in, hope springs eternal!

Deal Kirk, see if you can nab a 1st in return.  Find a potential stop gap or guy who could take the next step with the right weapons MINSHAW.  Restructure Adam and keep Conklin

Draft DE and CB in the first round, roster bonus Hunter and upgrade the C (Karras) and RG (Tomlinson) with solid vets.

OL: Darrisaw-Cleveland-Karras-Tomlinson-ONeil
Weapons:
Jets - Adam - KJ -ISM - Westbrook - Cook - Kene - Irv - Conklin
QB:
Minshaw - Mond - Rookie 

I guess I'm in the very very small minority but I don't think its going to be easy at all to trade Cousins. In fact, I just don't see it happening. And how could the team do it with nothing in the pipeline? And what looks to be a weak Draft for QBs? 

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
I guess I'm in the very very small minority but I don't think its going to be easy at all to trade Cousins. In fact, I just don't see it happening. And how could the team do it with nothing in the pipeline? And what looks to be a weak Draft for QBs? 

The weak QB class makes this a possibility.  However, I doubt a new GM and coach what to risk their neck on a new QB.  So I see him staying. 

@"StickyBun" said:

The weak QB class makes this a possibility.  However, I doubt a new GM and coach what to risk their neck on a new QB.  So I see him staying. 
The new GM may not have any interest in hitching his wagon to Cousins so it's hard to say until we get that position filled. We also have no idea what we have in Mond as the previous regime wasn't giving him any opportunities. I was encouraged by what Kubiak said about his work ethic both on the field and in the film room. Will that translate into success? Who knows. If we can find a willing trade partner for Cousins, I would have no problem bringing in a bridge QB and let he and Mond battle it out for the starting role why we wait for the 2023 draft class to find our QBOTF unless Mond surprises us. 

If only we had a shot to take a "good/NFL ready" QB last draft. Just saying.