Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tom Moore Nuggets
Quote: @mblack said:
I read this thread and just wonder why many were agaisnt firing both Zimmer and Spielman two years ago and especially last year?
Whats happening today is not new. It was pretty obvious if we dared to look but we decided to put good money on bad money one more time. Here are some mistakes we could have avoided if we fired them two years ago:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention
  4. Lost draft picks 2021 ( mainly a second for Ngakou and 2022 4th fir Herndon)
  5. Continuous misses on the Oline
  6. Poor cap situation (mortgaging future years) that resulted in decimated roster with many holes to fill and no depth
I think this is the key point. Our GM hasnt been great drafting the trenches, the most important part of football. 

There have been a few early on the Zimmer / Rick torch and pitchfork crew but they were mostly scoffed at by the majority of the board. I think if we want to have a chance at a Superbowl, we need to find a great GM and start there. I would be looking at Buffalo, Baltimore, SF, NE, PITT,  teams that have drafted well consistently. 

Marty Schottenheimer -- 21 years as head coach without a single Super Bowl appearance.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
I read this thread and just wonder why many were agaisnt firing both Zimmer and Spielman two years ago and especially last year?
Whats happening today is not new. It was pretty obvious if we dared to look but we decided to put good money on bad money one more time. Here are some mistakes we could have avoided if we fired them two years ago:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention
  6. Poor cap situation (mortgaging future years) that resulted in decimated roster with many holes to fill and no depth
I think this is the key point. Our GM hasnt been great drafting the trenches, the most important part of football. 

There have been a few early on the Zimmer / Rick torch and pitchfork crew but they were mostly scoffed at by the majority of the board. I think if we want to have a chance at a Superbowl, we need to find a great GM and start there. I would be looking at Buffalo, Baltimore, SF, NE, PITT,  teams that have drafted well consistently. 
It was not too long ago that the Bills could not draft right. They cleaned house in 2017 hired Brandon Beane and McDermot and the rest is history.

@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention

It was not too long ago that the Bills could not draft right. They cleaned house in 2017 hired Brandon Beane and McDermot and the rest is history.
And full disclosure I was one of the scoffers up until this season. The first Detroit game and Zims conservatism early in the year broke me finally.  I just dont see us getting to the promise land with this crew in charge. Kirk can go too. Im getting too old (die hard fan since 73) to look at decent to good, I want to hoist an effing Lombardi 

Quote: @Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention

And full disclosure I was one of the scoffers up until this season. The first Detroit game and Zims conservatism early in the year broke me finally.  I just dont see us getting to the promise land with this crew in charge. Kirk can go too. Im getting too old (die hard fan since 73) to look at decent to good, I want to hoist an effing Lombardi 
I dont know how you guys have stayed this loyal. I started following the Vikings in 2001 (when I moved to MN) and I am not sure how much more I can take. Your dedication very very impressive. You my friend deserve a Lombardi

@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention

I dont know how you guys have stayed this loyal. I started following the Vikings in 2001 (when I moved to MN) and I am not sure how much more I can take. Your dedication very very impressive. You my friend deserve a Lombardi
Lol, nice sentiment bro, fandom is like family, impossible to change 

@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
@Bullazin said:
@mblack said:
  1. Ngakoe Trade
  2. Cousins extention
  3. Smiths extention

98 for me and yeah it’s a disease. I swear I could dine out on one Super Bowl ring for 20 years and be happy. I just hope to share that memory with all of you one time!

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
The Vikings have the facilities, the stadium, the ownership, the roster and the fanbase to be attractive to a HC candidate. If you are going to fire Zimmer than you really should fire Spielman as well and start fresh. But I think the Wilfs like Spielman and he'll remain.
Ah yes...."starting fresh." The opium of every NFL fan. 

Well, every franchise that has improved and won a Superbowl had to start 'fresh' at some point. I mean, Zimmer has had 8 years, its not like the guy hasn't had a chance. To your point, nothing is guaranteed with a new regime and I realize that. As far as opium goes, we're all NFL drug addicts anyway.
Zimmer needs to go. And the guy who replaces him will likely want to make a few changes based on his own style of offense and/or defense.

That doesn't mean you take the NFL's 2nd youngest roster and tear it up. So you can have, what, the NFL's 1st youngest roster? 

There is one--and really only one--player the Vikings need to make a tough decision about: Kirk Cousins. So they will either trade him (possible, but depends a lot on who the HC is, what they think of Mond and the
22 QB class) or extend him (a little more likely IMO). Either way, they free up a whole helluva lot of cap space.
Where did I say 'tear up the roster'??

Quote: @El_Padre said:
Current 10 longest coaching tenures.  Stating the obvious, does anything come to mind that all the 6 coaches in front of Zimmer have?  I can't find a way to get this stat, but I'd like to know the longest tenure without a super bowl, or until the first super bowl appearance. 
  1. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000
  2. Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006
  3. Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007
  4. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008
  5. Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010
  6. Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013
  7. Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings): January 15, 2014
  8. Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills): January 11, 2017
  9. Sean McVay (Los Angeles Rams): January 12, 2017
  10. Kyle Shanahan (San Francisco 49ers): February 6, 2017

Holy shit???  5 seasons is all it takes to break the top 10 in coaching?  That is absolutely crazy. 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@El_Padre said:
Current 10 longest coaching tenures.  Stating the obvious, does anything come to mind that all the 6 coaches in front of Zimmer have?  I can't find a way to get this stat, but I'd like to know the longest tenure without a super bowl, or until the first super bowl appearance. 
  1. Bill Belichick (New England Patriots): January 27, 2000
  2. Sean Payton (New Orleans Saints): January 18, 2006
  3. Mike Tomlin (Pittsburgh Steelers): January 27, 2007
  4. John Harbaugh (Baltimore Ravens): January 19, 2008
  5. Pete Carroll (Seattle Seahawks): January 9, 2010
  6. Andy Reid (Kansas City Chiefs): January 4, 2013
  7. Mike Zimmer (Minnesota Vikings): January 15, 2014
  8. Sean McDermott (Buffalo Bills): January 11, 2017
  9. Sean McVay (Los Angeles Rams): January 12, 2017
  10. Kyle Shanahan (San Francisco 49ers): February 6, 2017

Holy shit???  5 seasons is all it takes to break the top 10 in coaching?  That is absolutely crazy. 
ot
or
ong