Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strib: Clock is ticking on Cousins
Oh it’s just some Sticky clicky-bait…! Wink B)

Actual headline reads:  Vikings don't have a quarterback controversy, but the clock is tickingLol

Quote: @"JR44" said:
Since his time with the Vikings Kirk has had arguably the best combination of playmakers in the league with two of the best WRs and the best RB.  I never hear anything about that in terms of Kirk's evaluation, it is always the OL that takes the blame for his shortcomings.  Go look at the tape, most of his awful plays and game crushing interceptions have come with clean pockets.  7-35 against teams with winning records and 3-16 since his time with the Vikes.  The Wilfs certainly have taken notice -

Wolfson: Judd, let’s start at the very very top: OWNERSHIP. I am told by multiple people that ownership drove the bus, not necessarily on that specific quarterback, Kellen Mond, but on the idea of taking a quarterback relatively high. And if it came down to it, even taking a quarterback in the first round. But that the Wilf’s didn’t want Spielman to wait until round six to take a quarterback. They didn’t want it to be like last year waiting until round 7, snagging, Nate Stanley.
And arguably one of the worst OLs. Last year that line was married to the third worst D in franchise history. 

Judd and Wolfson generating clicks and an attempt to connect the dots. The decision to move on from Mannion was painfully obvious months ago. Also, when did the Wilf's start getting involved in draft decisions?

C'mon. If you just don't like Cousins, that's fine. But this notion of QB wins is beyond ludicrous. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:
Since his time with the Vikings Kirk has had arguably the best combination of playmakers in the league with two of the best WRs and the best RB.  I never hear anything about that in terms of Kirk's evaluation, it is always the OL that takes the blame for his shortcomings.  Go look at the tape, most of his awful plays and game crushing interceptions have come with clean pockets.  7-35 against teams with winning records and 3-16 since his time with the Vikes.  The Wilfs certainly have taken notice -

Wolfson: Judd, let’s start at the very very top: OWNERSHIP. I am told by multiple people that ownership drove the bus, not necessarily on that specific quarterback, Kellen Mond, but on the idea of taking a quarterback relatively high. And if it came down to it, even taking a quarterback in the first round. But that the Wilf’s didn’t want Spielman to wait until round six to take a quarterback. They didn’t want it to be like last year waiting until round 7, snagging, Nate Stanley.
And arguably one of the worst OLs. Last year that line was married to the third worst D in franchise history. 

Judd and Wolfson generating clicks and an attempt to connect the dots. The decision to move on from Mannion was painfully obvious months ago. Also, when did the Wilf's start getting involved in draft decisions?

C'mon. If you just don't like Cousins, that's fine. But this notion of QB wins is beyond ludicrous. 
JR is our resident Bridgewater apologist and Cousins hater.

Quote: @"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

Ah, well. There you have it. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

Lol!  Yeah, okay it's just me.  I am the only one who sees this?  Amazing the number of people who will put their head in the sand regarding Cousins.  7-35 doesn't matter!?  I could see 18-24.  So the talent on this team is so bad that we are 3-16 against winning teams??  He had nothing to do with us starting the season 1-5 in which he was completely awful?  Go ask Tampa if the QB doesn't factor into your team wins as they went from 1 winning season in 9 years to winning a SB.  

Numerous reports that the Wilfs wanted a QB, but then that is just disregarded along with his annual meltdowns that cost us wins.  The other thing that amazes me that he gets a pass on is that he provides absolutely no leadership on this team.  The only time I have ever seen him show any kind of passion and talking to a teammate on the sidelines is when he was showing up Thielen, other than that he is sitting on the bench by himself not looking at any kind of film.  But he looks like the part and he is a master of padding stats, so he gets a pass. 

@"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

Numerous reports that the Wilfs wanted a QB
What's clear is that the Wilfs gave no such mandate for a de facto Cousins replacement. They merely wanted the Vikings to replace Mannion with a more developmental type from the early to mid rounds, who, unlike Mannion, might also provide a succession plan down the road. This is what we ALL wanted, and this is what we ALL knew we would do. 

So there is no story here, no big revelation. Wilfs gave no 1st round mandate for a QB. If they had, we would've traded up for one (we had plenty of ammo), or simply took Mac Jones, who was a perfect scheme fit and there for the taking at 14. Vikings did neither. That should tell you all you need to know. 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

What's clear is that the Wilfs gave no such mandate for a de facto Cousins replacement. They merely wanted the Vikings to replace Mannion with a more developmental type from the early to mid rounds, who, unlike Mannion, might also provide a succession plan down the road. This is what we ALL wanted, and this is what we ALL knew we would do. 

So there is no story here, no big revelation. Wilfs gave no 1st round mandate for a QB. If they had, we would've traded up for one (we had plenty of ammo), or simply took Mac Jones, who was a perfect scheme fit and there for the taking at 14. Vikings did neither. That should tell you all you need to know. 
It should be. But, yet...

@"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

Lol!  Yeah, okay it's just me.  I am the only one who sees this?  Amazing the number of people who will put their head in the sand regarding Cousins.  7-35 doesn't matter!?  I could see 18-24.  So the talent on this team is so bad that we are 3-16 against winning teams??  He had nothing to do with us starting the season 1-5 in which he was completely awful?  Go ask Tampa if the QB doesn't factor into your team wins as they went from 1 winning season in 9 years to winning a SB.  

Numerous reports that the Wilfs wanted a QB, but then that is just disregarded along with his annual meltdowns that cost us wins.  The other thing that amazes me that he gets a pass on is that he provides absolutely no leadership on this team.  The only time I have ever seen him show any kind of passion and talking to a teammate on the sidelines is when he was showing up Thielen, other than that he is sitting on the bench by himself not looking at any kind of film.  But he looks like the part and he is a master of padding stats, so he gets a pass. 
No, it's not just you. There's a whole board dedicated to Cousins hate. They've even got a countdown clock! Go to your people! They will draw you to their bossum and count you as one of their own! 

Quote: @"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

How is that clear?  Do you have inside information saying so?  Everyone can twist what the rumors are to fit their own belief on the situation.  What does seem certain is the Wilfs wanted a QB high, if it was just to improve on Mannion there were so many guys we could have picked up without using a draft pick.   We have also heard from numerous sources including someone here who had a source that we would have taken Fields at 14, which certainly not jive with this take.   Not taking Jones doesn't prove anything, there were teams that were QB needy who passed on him.  He had the best playmakers in college and a brick wall and got to play two extra games in college's football stage.  Have him and Mond switch places and they probably switch draft spots. Everyone sees what they want to see.  

@"MaroonBells" said:
@"JR44" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"StickyBun" said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
@"JR44" said:

How is that clear?  Do you have inside information saying so?  Everyone can twist what the rumors are to fit their own belief on the situation.  What does seem certain is the Wilfs wanted a QB high, if it was just to improve on Mannion there were so many guys we could have picked up without using a draft pick.   We have also heard from numerous sources including someone here who had a source that we would have taken Fields at 14, which certainly not jive with this take.   Not taking Jones doesn't prove anything, there were teams that were QB needy who passed on him.  He had the best playmakers in college and a brick wall and got to play two extra games in college's football stage.  Have him and Mond switch places and they probably switch draft spots. Everyone sees what they want to see.  

It's clear because we didn't do it. We didn't trade up for any QB, or Fields, who was within reach, and we didn't take Jones when he was there for the taking. So either Rick betrayed the Wilfs wishes or the Wilfs gave no such mandate.  

We took a QB in the 3rd round--a round with about a 3% chance of hitting on a starter, but a decent place to find good, solid backups. No doubt, I liked Mond best among the tier-two QBS, but that's who he is: a backup with a very very small chance to become a starter. And the sooner you get used to that, the happier you'll be. 

If the wheels fall off Cousins in '21, it's more likely the Vikings draft their QBOTF in '22 than put the keys in Mond's hands. I also think it's more likely Cousins wins MVP than his wheels falling off. But we'll see.