Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings were ready to take Justin Fields: ESPN.com
Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
There is a lot kind of loaded into the scenario. 

1. When the Vikings discussing a trade up into the #7/8 area it was for Sewell not Fields. 
2. When the Giants came on the clock at #11 they had interest in Slater at that point
3a. Based on how the board fell if the Giants kept their pick the Cowboys weren't going to move and the Chargers were definitely taking Slater.
3b. They would have taken Fields at #14 since he fell into their lap. He has franchise QB upside and it he would have fallen into your lap. I don't think the team was convinced he was their guy which is why they wouldn't have traded futures to make it happen. But they would have taken him over Darrisaw or AVT. 
That seems reasonable. Their primary interest was the top two LTs and they would have taken Fields if he fell into their lap, but they didn't want to give up significant future assets to get him. Do you think the Vikings would have still taken Darrisaw if Phillips or Paye were available at 23?
Most likely. They had Darrisaw/AVT tied on their board at #14. Phillips/Paye would have been the backups. 
That's reassuring to hear. DE was absolutely a need, but I would have been very disappointed to pass up on a potential starting LT for one of the rushers this year. Hopefully, Jones and/or Robinson work out, but maybe trading up would have been a good idea instead of double dipping at DE.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Monds + 2022 1st round pick > Fields

Also, with a GAPPING HOLE at LT, I seriously doubt Fields was the target. It's been reported that we did extra leg work on Day 2 QBs. That makes a ton more sense than trading up for QB3.
I'd also put it like this:

Mond/Darrisaw + 2022 1st Round Pick > Fields
It’s too early to make a final judgment.  If Fields turns out to be the next Russell Wilson, and Mond does not develop to become a mid tier staring Qb, then we very well may look back and wish we had done more to land Fields.    Ask the Chiefs and Bills if they gave up too much to get Mahomes and Allen.   
Neither team had to give up anything: Mahomes slid to 10th and Allen was there at #7 for Buffalo. And if Fields had gotten to #14, he'd probably be a Viking. That's the thing and why if the hit on Mond somehow, its a home run: no move up compensation for a mistake. The Bears got REAMED in their move up for Trubisky. The team that should be concerned is the 49ers with Trey Lance: the guy has the least amount of film to watch than maybe any top 5 QB pick in history. At least Mond played enough to be the all time leading passer in Texas A & M history. Lance is as raw as sushi, but you aren't hearing much of that from the media for some reason.
Also, you have to take into account where Fields went to. Chicago is QB hell, and what have they done to surround him with talent? Sure, there are some pieces but overall it's lackluster. Then you have to factor in the lack of draft picks coming their way the next couple of seasons. 

I'll just say this - I don't have as much confidence in Chicago putting him in a friendly environment to succeed the way KC & Buffalo did for Mahomes and Allen. Can he thrive? Maybe. But as it was said it's too early and there are a lot of things that will determine the kid's fate.

@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Also, with a GAPPING HOLE at LT, I seriously doubt Fields was the target. It's been reported that we did extra leg work on Day 2 QBs. That makes a ton more sense than trading up for QB3.

It’s too early to make a final judgment.  If Fields turns out to be the next Russell Wilson, and Mond does not develop to become a mid tier staring Qb, then we very well may look back and wish we had done more to land Fields.    Ask the Chiefs and Bills if they gave up too much to get Mahomes and Allen.   
Neither team had to give up anything: Mahomes slid to 10th and Allen was there at #7 for Buffalo. And if Fields had gotten to #14, he'd probably be a Viking. That's the thing and why if the hit on Mond somehow, its a home run: no move up compensation for a mistake. The Bears got REAMED in their move up for Trubisky. The team that should be concerned is the 49ers with Trey Lance: the guy has the least amount of film to watch than maybe any top 5 QB pick in history. At least Mond played enough to be the all time leading passer in Texas A & M history. Lance is as raw as sushi, but you aren't hearing much of that from the media for some reason.
Chiefs traded a future 1st and a 3rd to move up from 27 to 10 to take Mahomes. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Thanks for the correction, hard to remember it all. Magnus, your point is noted. 

He didn't look too happy being picked by Chicago. I don't know how well it is going to work out. They still have a lot of work to do.

Quote: F@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Thanks for the correction, hard to remember it all. Magnus, your point is noted. 
Sticky, thanks for the follow up and noting my point.   Just to make sure my memory is not completely shot (yet), I had to go back and look at what the Bills did to get Josh Allen, because I thought for sure they traded up.  
Turns out the Bills traded up twice in the first round that draft.  They traded up from #21 with the Bengals to 12 by sending Tackle Cordy Glenn and a 5th round pick.  They then traded up with the Bucs to 7 by trading them two second rounders (53) and (56).  So they did quite a bit of maneuvering.  
If Fields turns into a true high level franchise QB, My point is I hope we don’t look back and regret not doing more to get him.    I am sure the Bills and Chiefs are quite happy with how things turned out.  Of course drafting QBs in the first round is a bit of a crapshoot, and Fields could also be Dwayne Haskins 2.0, so who knows!!

Quote: @Magnus10 said:
F@StickyBun said:
@MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Sticky, thanks for the follow up and noting my point.   Just to make sure my memory is not completely shot (yet), I had to go back and look at what the Bills did to get Josh Allen, because I thought for sure they traded up.  
Turns out the Bills traded up twice in the first round that draft.  They traded up from #21 with the Bengals to 12 by sending Tackle Cordy Glenn and a 5th round pick.  They then traded up with the Bucs to 7 by trading them two second rounders (53) and (56).  So they did quite a bit of maneuvering.  
If Fields turns into a true high level franchise QB, My point is I hope we don’t look back and regret not doing more to get him.    I am sure the Bills and Chiefs are quite happy with how things turned out.  Of course drafting QBs in the first round is a bit of a crapshoot, and Fields could also be Dwayne Haskins 2.0, so who knows!!
It’s a good point and yep, of course if Fields turns out to be money than the extra second or whatever we didn’t want to give up will be peanuts.

I think the bigger factor was I get the feeling the Vikings were more “in” on other QBs than Fields. Sure, they’d have loved to have him at 14, but I wonder if it was Lance or (somehow) Wilson sliding to 11, if they’d have been more aggressive. 

For now, I’m thrilled with Darrisaw, Mond and our haul. Years from now, TBD ha. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
@Tyr said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
There is a lot kind of loaded into the scenario. 

1. When the Vikings discussing a trade up into the #7/8 area it was for Sewell not Fields. 
2. When the Giants came on the clock at #11 they had interest in Slater at that point
3a. Based on how the board fell if the Giants kept their pick the Cowboys weren't going to move and the Chargers were definitely taking Slater.
3b. They would have taken Fields at #14 since he fell into their lap. He has franchise QB upside and it he would have fallen into your lap. I don't think the team was convinced he was their guy which is why they wouldn't have traded futures to make it happen. But they would have taken him over Darrisaw or AVT. 
That seems reasonable. Their primary interest was the top two LTs and they would have taken Fields if he fell into their lap, but they didn't want to give up significant future assets to get him. Do you think the Vikings would have still taken Darrisaw if Phillips or Paye were available at 23?
Most likely. They had Darrisaw/AVT tied on their board at #14. Phillips/Paye would have been the backups. 
We were very fortunate that the Raiders reached and did not take Darrisaw, if not all 4 guys would have been off the board.  Who do you think we would have gone for.  I am guessing they would have tried to trade down again and if not possibly Rousseau.   

Moving up for Fields when your starting QB has a guaranteed contract for the next two years doesn't make sense to me. It makes more sense to build the team around Cousins and take a flier on a QB with a low price, but huge potential.
Maybe Fields is the guy. But Chicago paid a huge price to find out. I'm glad the Vikings didn't.

The Bears will have a hard time putting the pieces around their new QB, and their defense is aging.

Even if Mond doesn't work out, it won't hurt the Vikings going forward.

And if Mond does work out,  Rodgers will likely be gone, and the Vikings should be able to have a good team around him.

@Magnus10 said:
@PurpleCrush said:
@"BarrNone55" said:
Fields > Monds

Neither team had to give up anything: Mahomes slid to 10th and Allen was there at #7 for Buffalo. 
KC did trade up from 27 to 10 for Mahomes.  Gave up #27, a 3rd and their 2018 1st ... to Buffalo. 

Edit: MaroonBells beat me to it.  That will teach me to read the whole thread before posting.  OK, it should teach me, but don't hold your breath...