Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
#157 Ihmir Smith-Marsette Iowa
Quote: @bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:
Just to show kids can grow up.  Here is a story on Riley Reiff,  pretty funny. 

https://www.espn.com/blog/bigten/post/_/...e-on-chase
I guess I don't see the relevance. Foot chase versus 44mph over while nearly twice the legal limit. Reiff wasn't exactly endangering the lives of everyone around while alluding cops. Apples to oranges imo. 
both were stupid both were drunk both were age 19-21.  FYI - he was running through streets naked and most certainly was endangering himself the cops and other traffic.  I am not minimizing the specific act,  what I am stating is Iowa City is bubble, and lot of kids in the Iowa program have gotten some sort of alcohol related ticket.  If you are going to write off all those individuals as having character concerns,  I find that fairly questionable.  You are stating non of these kids can learn from their mistakes, mature or ect.  He was not known as a problem child.  If the Ferentz are going to vouch for the kid that should tell you enough.  Go ahead and make this a bigger deal than what it really is.  
Pretty much the response I expect. To even attempt to portray what Rieff did as endangering others as Marsette did is laughable. Outside of tables and pitas inside the Pita Pit he ran through no one/thing was in danger. 
Let's ask ICPD to vouch for guys like Marsette that they have to turn a blind eye to because "their Hawks". You really have to be begging for it to get arrested in IC as a ball player. More often than not it's a pat on the back, "nice effort this week" and ride home. 

Kirk vouches for him? Cool, let's ask the many players and staff over the years about Chris Doyle. How Kirk vouched for him and ignored the numerous complaints of Doyle being a turd. Kirk and his coordinators knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. Kirk's vouching means very little to me. 
The state of Iowa has paid that family $97.1 million. Zero outright Big 10 titles.  Zero wins in the Big 10 championship. 9-8 bowl record.  People outside of the Iowa fanbase can't wrap their heads around what this guy has done to get these pay days.

And Iowa fans never stop to wonder why you rarely hear his name in connection to bigger NCAA programs or the NFL. But hey, Iowa upset one top team and played in another Alamo/Outback bowl! Let's give the guy a raise and hand the job to his kid when he retires. Lol!
Lolz are you mad about Ihmir or Kirk or something else? Let's not forget Kirk's son James was a drunken buffoon one night in Iowa City and was punching parking meters, school buses, and resisting arrest from police officers. Perhaps that is a better comparison? Kirk is just fine at what he does, if you wish to voice your frustration then head over to Hawkeye Report as guys on this site probably don't want to hear it.

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:

I guess I don't see the relevance. Foot chase versus 44mph over while nearly twice the legal limit. Reiff wasn't exactly endangering the lives of everyone around while alluding cops. Apples to oranges imo. 
both were stupid both were drunk both were age 19-21.  FYI - he was running through streets naked and most certainly was endangering himself the cops and other traffic.  I am not minimizing the specific act,  what I am stating is Iowa City is bubble, and lot of kids in the Iowa program have gotten some sort of alcohol related ticket.  If you are going to write off all those individuals as having character concerns,  I find that fairly questionable.  You are stating non of these kids can learn from their mistakes, mature or ect.  He was not known as a problem child.  If the Ferentz are going to vouch for the kid that should tell you enough.  Go ahead and make this a bigger deal than what it really is.  
Pretty much the response I expect. To even attempt to portray what Rieff did as endangering others as Marsette did is laughable. Outside of tables and pitas inside the Pita Pit he ran through no one/thing was in danger. 
Let's ask ICPD to vouch for guys like Marsette that they have to turn a blind eye to because "their Hawks". You really have to be begging for it to get arrested in IC as a ball player. More often than not it's a pat on the back, "nice effort this week" and ride home. 

Kirk vouches for him? Cool, let's ask the many players and staff over the years about Chris Doyle. How Kirk vouched for him and ignored the numerous complaints of Doyle being a turd. Kirk and his coordinators knew what was going on and turned a blind eye. Kirk's vouching means very little to me. 
The state of Iowa has paid that family $97.1 million. Zero outright Big 10 titles.  Zero wins in the Big 10 championship. 9-8 bowl record.  People outside of the Iowa fanbase can't wrap their heads around what this guy has done to get these pay days.

And Iowa fans never stop to wonder why you rarely hear his name in connection to bigger NCAA programs or the NFL. But hey, Iowa upset one top team and played in another Alamo/Outback bowl! Let's give the guy a raise and hand the job to his kid when he retires. Lol!
Lolz are you mad about Ihmir or Kirk or something else? Let's not forget Kirk's son James was a drunken buffoon one night in Iowa City and was punching parking meters, school buses, and resisting arrest from police officers. Perhaps that is a better comparison? Kirk is just fine at what he does, if you wish to voice your frustration then head over to Hawkeye Report as guys on this site probably don't want to hear it.
As a depressed Husker fan I actually do kind of want to hear it, haha. But I get your point!

Let's ask ICPD to vouch for guys like Marsette that they have to turn a blind eye to because "their Hawks". 

Turn a blind eye,  your a moron.   Iowa City cops are known for not giving any athlete any leeway.  Whether it is University Heights or Iowa City police dept on the Ped Mall ect.  It is why historically Iowa players have been arrested at much higher rates than any other college.   You obviously either have some type of personal dealings with Marsette or a vendetta against him and or the school.  Kirk will not vouch for a kid that isn't decent period.  Sounds like you got issues with Kirk as well - which seem pretty stupid to me.  Chris Doyle was an excellent coach he was just bore from a cloth from the 60's and 70's that had extreme high expectations and he would push any button to get a player to excel, and his people skills weren't exactly the sharpest that does not pass today period.  FYI if Chris was really racist his 2nd in charge wouldn't have been an african american. I am surprised it lasted this long.   Even still that whole drama was way overblown period.  The thing is you want players to be held to a high bar similar to what Kirk and Chris did,  but then will rip that same high bar.  You can have your own views and assumptions,  but they are not mainstream and what most people think.    I don't know why you view things the way you do.  However your memory is very poor regarding Reiff.  Unless you were there that night, I am pretty sure I would know more about this than you.  Here is a summary.  He ran for 20 minutes down the streets of Iowa City after the Pita Pit and in and out of traffic.   If you are going to parlay facts- use actual facts. I can admit a vehicle could and would cause more harm than the risk of what Reiff did, again I said it was funny, but more showing kids who drink to much alcohol well can make very very stupid decisions.    I don't condone at all what Marsette did.  I am not giving him a free pass. However it appears you are trying to give Reiff a free pass while appearing to almost state Marsette's issue was felony murder.  In both cases there was no negative outcome, period.   I am merely stating kids can grow from their mistakes.  You claimed he was a character risk.  For me more than one incident is needed to show he has some terrible underlying character issues.  Your complaints are 1 an arrest warrant, and 2 failing class work which I can neither vouch for or otherwise.  He will again not be the first or last individual if that were true to not focus on class work if focusing on football.  Again maybe some slight concern, but this has minimal affect on how he will perform as a player and take his work seriously.  I was a very very good kid in high school and college, yet I would sure hate to be judged on 1 or 2 very poor choices I made but nothing occurred from either of those incidents.  I assume you live in Iowa City,  and I would be tempted to throw out a name but that isn't necessary and won't do any one any favors, similarly to what you are doing to Marsette.  This comes down to you have a different opinion of Marsette compared to Ferentz and several other individuals.  You can have that opinion.  But others can have differing opinions and lets leave it at that.    

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2008...talk-about
Police arrived to find the Yankton Doodle Dandy in some stage of undress or another, mistaking the dark alleyway for his bedroom or something. While reports stated he was half-naked, we're just going to assume that the top half had come off, since 1) he wasn't charged with indecency or anything, and 2) ew.
We'd like to say Reiff did what everybody does in that situation, but never in the history of history has anyone been able to claim "getting arrested half-naked behind Pita Pit" as a facebook status, so he improvised. And by that we mean he ran.
Giddyup.
The ensuing chase took the party through the Pita Pit, where overturned trays caused literally billions of dollars in damage,** and eventually to the streets of Iowa City. From there, according to reports, the sartorially liberated freshmen led eight officers on a 20-minute jaunt through town. We're not sure where Reiff ran or where he was running to; if the ICPD wasn't a bunch of jagoffs, they'd provide us with an interactive map as well as markers for people to relive the experience themselves. This is tourism gold, Iowa City, and you're throwing it all away!

Quote: @Hawkvike25 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:

I'm not mad about anything. I actually enjoy calling out homer Hawkeye fans who make excuses for players doing dangerous stuff. It reinforces the idea the rest of the country has about how ridiculous you all are. Cant think of another college program that has achieved so little that has turned typically rational people into mindless drones.

As for Kirk, I wasn't the one who brought him up. I was replying to someone who seems to think Kirk vouches for someone is the end all. In spite of his vouching for a gigantic turd like Chris Doyle. That  was a fun topic with the homers. Heads exploding trying to figure out who to defend in that instance. No shock though the homers quickly turned on the former players.

"Kirk is just fine at what he does", there is a glowing endorsement. What is he just fine at again? Because it's none of the things other programs expect if they are going to keep a coach around for two decades. If you dont like my take scroll on by, don't hid behind the guise of "golly gee, you should go, I dont think other people want to hear it". That reeks of YOU dont want to hear it so you passive aggressively try to push it on other.  

Quote: @Kmerry82 said:
@bigbone62 said:

Let's ask ICPD to vouch for guys like Marsette that they have to turn a blind eye to because "their Hawks". 

Turn a blind eye,  your a moron.   Iowa City cops are known for not giving any athlete any leeway.  Whether it is University Heights or Iowa City police dept on the Ped Mall ect.  It is why historically Iowa players have been arrested at much higher rates than any other college.   You obviously either have some type of personal dealings with Marsette or a vendetta against him and or the school.  Kirk will not vouch for a kid that isn't decent period.  Sounds like you got issues with Kirk as well - which seem pretty stupid to me.  Chris Doyle was an excellent coach he was just bore from a cloth from the 60's and 70's that had extreme high expectations and he would push any button to get a player to excel, and his people skills weren't exactly the sharpest that does not pass today period.  FYI if Chris was really racist his 2nd in charge wouldn't have been an african american. I am surprised it lasted this long.   Even still that whole drama was way overblown period.  The thing is you want players to be held to a high bar similar to what Kirk and Chris did,  but then will rip that same high bar.  You can have your own views and assumptions,  but they are not mainstream and what most people think.    I don't know why you view things the way you do.  However your memory is very poor regarding Reiff.  Unless you were there that night, I am pretty sure I would know more about this than you.  Here is a summary.  He ran for 20 minutes down the streets of Iowa City after the Pita Pit and in and out of traffic.   If you are going to parlay facts- use actual facts. I can admit a vehicle could and would cause more harm than the risk of what Reiff did, again I said it was funny, but more showing kids who drink to much alcohol well can make very very stupid decisions.    I don't condone at all what Marsette did.  I am not giving him a free pass. However it appears you are trying to give Reiff a free pass while appearing to almost state Marsette's issue was felony murder.  In both cases there was no negative outcome, period.   I am merely stating kids can grow from their mistakes.  You claimed he was a character risk.  For me more than one incident is needed to show he has some terrible underlying character issues.  Your complaints are 1 an arrest warrant, and 2 failing class work which I can neither vouch for or otherwise.  He will again not be the first or last individual if that were true to not focus on class work if focusing on football.  Again maybe some slight concern, but this has minimal affect on how he will perform as a player and take his work seriously.  I was a very very good kid in high school and college, yet I would sure hate to be judged on 1 or 2 very poor choices I made but nothing occurred from either of those incidents.  I assume you live in Iowa City,  and I would be tempted to throw out a name but that isn't necessary and won't do any one any favors, similarly to what you are doing to Marsette.  This comes down to you have a different opinion of Marsette compared to Ferentz and several other individuals.  You can have that opinion.  But others can have differing opinions and lets leave it at that.    

https://www.blackheartgoldpants.com/2008...talk-about
Police arrived to find the Yankton Doodle Dandy in some stage of undress or another, mistaking the dark alleyway for his bedroom or something. While reports stated he was half-naked, we're just going to assume that the top half had come off, since 1) he wasn't charged with indecency or anything, and 2) ew.
We'd like to say Reiff did what everybody does in that situation, but never in the history of history has anyone been able to claim "getting arrested half-naked behind Pita Pit" as a facebook status, so he improvised. And by that we mean he ran.
Giddyup.
The ensuing chase took the party through the Pita Pit, where overturned trays caused literally billions of dollars in damage,** and eventually to the streets of Iowa City. From there, according to reports, the sartorially liberated freshmen led eight officers on a 20-minute jaunt through town. We're not sure where Reiff ran or where he was running to; if the ICPD wasn't a bunch of jagoffs, they'd provide us with an interactive map as well as markers for people to relive the experience themselves. This is tourism gold, Iowa City, and you're throwing it all away!
"Your a moron". Super solid way to start a post. Call out someone's intelligence, and five words in struggle to use the correct spelling! Curious, do you have any friends or family who currently or previously worked for ICPD? I have several former and two current. Also have several friends who played at Iowa, coached at Iowa, and currently coach at Iowa. In all instances they mock homers like you who think the program is some sort of good ole Midwest values run program.   Iowa has their perianal late season loss to a team that has no business beating them and the cops know the usual suspects will be out drunk and causing a scene, and they are stuck giving them a ride home. Something they wouldn't do for Joe Student who is frequently a drunken mess big timing and they get calls on. But no you're one of Kirk's boys and it's a golden ticket until you do something so stupid the cops cant simply drop you off at home. Hey you got Player X doing something stupid, dangerous, illegal on camera? How about free tickets to a game. There is literally a guy at U of I whose job it is to make sure this stuff isn't posted on social media. 

I have no dealings or personal vendetta against Marsette. My problem is enablers like you and the other homers that suspend logic for these kids. But what do I know, I value human life over what a player can do/did do for my favorite sports ball team. You are an absolute liar if you say if Joe Student was arrested for the very same thing your reaction to the story on the news wouldn't be different. Better yet if a player for a rival did this, you honestly think you'd be defending their honor so strongly? It's embarrassing the mental gymnastics fans will do.  

Why is it stupid that I take issue with Ferentz? Please list the great accomplishments he has produced to garner his family being paid out $97.1 million and his son being set up as the next HC. What has he done to consistently be ranked top 10 salaries in college football? Out right Big 10 championships, ZERO. Big Ten Championship game wins, ZERO. CFB appearances ZERO. Major bowl wins, ONE. National Championship, ZERO. National Championship contender, ZERO. I guess I just have bigger expectations from the highest paid state employee. 

The fact that you defend Chris Doyle tells me all I need to know about you as a person.  "Just bore from a cloth from the 60's and 70's"? Lol he is 52 years old. He isn't some dinosaur who has been coaching since the 60's or 70's.  If he was racist why would he have an African-American second in charge? Lol that's like saying "I cant be racist, I work with a black guy", or "I have a black friend so I cant be a bigot". 

I am lost, what's the point of posting a satirical blog entry about what Reiff did? 

@Hawkvike25 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:
@bigbone62 said:
@Kmerry82 said:

I'm not mad about anything. I actually enjoy calling out homer Hawkeye fans who make excuses for players doing dangerous stuff. It reinforces the idea the rest of the country has about how ridiculous you all are. Cant think of another college program that has achieved so little that has turned typically rational people into mindless drones.

As for Kirk, I wasn't the one who brought him up. I was replying to someone who seems to think Kirk vouches for someone is the end all. In spite of his vouching for a gigantic turd like Chris Doyle. That  was a fun topic with the homers. Heads exploding trying to figure out who to defend in that instance. No shock though the homers quickly turned on the former players.

"Kirk is just fine at what he does", there is a glowing endorsement. What is he just fine at again? Because it's none of the things other programs expect if they are going to keep a coach around for two decades. If you dont like my take scroll on by, don't hid behind the guise of "golly gee, you should go, I dont think other people want to hear it". That reeks of YOU dont want to hear it so you passive aggressively try to push it on other.  
If you are implying all Iowa fans are homers then you are certainly mistaken. I said Kirk is just fine at what he does because Iowa will never get the big time recruits, never. He is probably the best coach in the country at turning 2 and 3 star recruits into NFL caliber players.

Have we won Big Ten Titles? No. Is that frustrating? Absolutely it is. Do I expect to win them? Some times yes. He has a winning bowl record, which unless you're one of the greatest coaches in the country, and he's not, this is a tough feat to accomplish. I do not think Iowa can get a better coach than Ferentz at this time so again, he is just fine at what he does.

Doyle is a piece of shit, you are right...that situation was tough to swallow as a fan.

"Your a moron". Super solid way to start a post. Call out someone's intelligence, and five words in struggle to use the correct spelling! Curious, do you have any friends or family who currently or previously worked for ICPD? I have several former and two current. Also have several friends who played at Iowa, coached at Iowa, and currently coach at Iowa. In all instances they mock homers like you who think the program is some sort of good ole Midwest values run program.   Iowa has their perianal late season loss to a team that has no business beating them and the cops know the usual suspects will be out drunk and causing a scene, and they are stuck giving them a ride home. Something they wouldn't do for Joe Student who is frequently a drunken mess big timing and they get calls on. But no you're one of Kirk's boys and it's a golden ticket until you do something so stupid the cops cant simply drop you off at home. Hey you got Player X doing something stupid, dangerous, illegal on camera? How about free tickets to a game. There is literally a guy at U of I whose job it is to make sure this stuff isn't posted on social media. 

I have no dealings or personal vendetta against Marsette. My problem is enablers like you and the other homers that suspend logic for these kids. But what do I know, I value human life over what a player can do/did do for my favorite sports ball team. You are an absolute liar if you say if Joe Student was arrested for the very same thing your reaction to the story on the news wouldn't be different. Better yet if a player for a rival did this, you honestly think you'd be defending their honor so strongly? It's embarrassing the mental gymnastics fans will do.  

Why is it stupid that I take issue with Ferentz? Please list the great accomplishments he has produced to garner his family being paid out $97.1 million and his son being set up as the next HC. What has he done to consistently be ranked top 10 salaries in college football? Out right Big 10 championships, ZERO. Big Ten Championship game wins, ZERO. CFB appearances ZERO. Major bowl wins, ONE. National Championship, ZERO. National Championship contender, ZERO. I guess I just have bigger expectations from the highest paid state employee. 

The fact that you defend Chris Doyle tells me all I need to know about you as a person.  "Just bore from a cloth from the 60's and 70's"? Lol he is 52 years old. He isn't some dinosaur who has been coaching since the 60's or 70's.  If he was racist why would he have an African-American second in charge? Lol that's like saying "I cant be racist, I work with a black guy", or "I have a black friend so I cant be a bigot". 

I am lost, what's the point of posting a satirical blog entry about what Reiff did? 
You're the grammar police now.  Lolz,  this is a chat board,  I'm not writing an essay that is getting graded.  Not a homer.   I am fairly level headed.  One question have you ever been arrested or done something stupid,  because essential that mistake you are stating is why the Vikings shouldn't have drafted him,  unless I am reading your posting wrong.  You are all over the board,  you want people to be held strictly for their actions Marsette and Chris Doyle, while not giving them any benefit of the doubt for everything else they have done.  Chris did some stupid things, I state that above, also stated he should have been gone long before last year - where is the homerism in that.  I am stating it as it is.  Even though he is 60 he operated his program as an authoritarian based off of 60's 70's management style.  Age doesn't define how he operated his program.   At this point you appear to just be goading individuals while not recognizing your own issues.   You realize based off what Chris did, one could just as easily call you a racist because you apparently are stating Reiff and Marsette should be viewed differently from alcoholic offenses.  That would obviously be a pretty stupid claim, but for the most part that is what the claims against Chris are.  Asking a player how he could afford a $70,000 vehicle which occurred 6 months after the car dealer scheme at Ohio State.  DJK putting the own trash can over his head,  he wasn't forced to.  A running back stating that the coaching staff had cut off his meal card - (he was underweight the staff wanted him to gain weight and had no control over the meal card).  Doyle was an equal opportunist dick head to whoever was not applying themselves, wouldn't show up to meetings on time and give it his all.  I have had plenty of coaches, bosses and other leaders who have been exactly the same way.  In most cases they brought out the best in me and I can recognize that now.  Still think a couple were dicks at times, doesn't make them racist or otherwise.  

As to Ferentz he is not perfect.  If you were to replace him who would you replace him with that would be willing to come to Iowa,  just curious, because I am okay with the performance Ferentz has given Iowa,  there is a lot worse you can do,  compared to any other college not at the apex (ie Ohio State, Alabama, Michigan ect)  Iowa is in the top 15 for consistent performance.  There is no homerism there.  He has been an above average coach.  In most bowl games Iowa has been a major underdog, including the major bowl games.  I would have liked it if they had outperformed Wisconsin more in the last decade but it doesn't bother me that they haven't.  Wisconsin is the only major mid tier college that you can say in the midwest that has really outperformed Iowa,  maybe Michigan State,  but they are a shell of themselves right now.   You are held up on salary.  Other than those 2 programs which colleges have done better with minimal resources,  I bet you can't name more than 5.   

I am done with this post and with you.  You want everyone to have the same opinion and if not will goad them.  That is silly, and immature in my opinion. It was immature on my end to call you a moron (see I can admit a mistake, can you)- but you are goading individuals for having differing opinions by calling them homers enablers or otherwise.  You are friends with coaches who call out Iowa homers   ummmm ok.  Show me one post where I have defended or enabled  what Marsette did,  1 thing.   All I pointed out is that people can be learn from a mistake like Reiff.   I am not many friends with Iowa police,  obviously what does that have to do with anything.  I was close with several student managers and players.   Primarily from years of 01-2017.   I have minimal connections currently.  I am not a liar for thinking people should pay the price for their mistakes, learn from them and move on and live their lives.  Individual joe student shouldn't be continually punished and never given an opportunity at a job or otherwise for 1 mistake just like a player or any other individual.  If you can't understand that very simple principle you won't understand anything I am saying to you so everything in this post is pointless.   If you can't admit you have never made any mistake in your life and yet have been given opportunities, that would be rather hypocritical in my view - and it shows what type of individual you are.  I am done with this thread.   

4. A diverse sports background
Smith-Marsette was praised for his body control as one of his top traits heading into the draft.
The 22-year-old said a diverse athletic background growing up helped mold him as a fluid wide receiver.
Smith-Marsette said he excelled in track where he ran hurdles.
"Being a hurdler, you have to have tremendous body control when you're approaching an obstacle and be in control of your environment so you can move the way you want to when you need to," Smith-Marsette said.
He also credited a water polo background for his strength and toughness.
"I went to [prep] school for swimming, found out they had a water polo team." Smith-Marsette said. "I was in water sports so I said, 'Why not try it?' Tried it, fell in love with it. Could've taken that all the way, too. I feel like I was one of the better players in that sport.
"It teaches you patience, toughness; when you want to touch the bottom of the pool, you can't. It just keeps you going, and it's a lot of grit that comes from that game," Smith-Marsette added. "A lot of stuff people don't see underwater. It just teaches you toughness and grit. I loved it. It pretty much put me in the best shape to move on to football when I did. Being able to succeed off that."