Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOND!!
PROSPECT SUMMARY – KELLEN MONDFrom a statistical standpoint, Kellen Mond is one of the most prolific players to not only play in College Station, but also the SEC. He's a slim, but adequately built quarterback prospect who possesses lots of velocity with throws when able to step into them. With a high-elbow but snappy type of release, he has the torque and enthusiasm behind passes that enables him to be very efficient in the short to intermediate areas. Mond always displays high levels of poise as he often shows that he’s never in a hurry. From his mechanics to how he deals with pressure surrounding him, he remains under control and focused on the task at hand. He's one of the most battled-tested throwers in the country as he takes an excruciating amount of hits throughout games but continues to battle and make throws. The often occurrence of shots to his body has helped him better deal with pressure from all directions inside the pocket. He's mainly a half-field read thrower that can get the ball out quickly and efficiently when on schedule. While barely scratching the level of an above-average athlete, he has enough athleticism to get himself out of trouble and gain hidden yardage when breaking outside of the pocket as well. He's strictly a shotgun/pistol quarterback who’s had all of his experience there. 
Playing faster is sometimes needed, but he remains at the same pace. Decaying pockets can be challenging for him to escape and he waits too long to make that decision instead of correctly timing when, where, and how to exit the pocket in order to explore and create off-script opportunities. He shows great stages of poise, but will have plays where he makes questionable throws down the field in hopes of being bailed out by aggressive perimeter options. 
Ideal Role: Developmental QB that could lead to being a high-end backup option.
Scheme Fit: Erhardt-Perkins offensive system.
FILM EVALUATIONWritten by Jordan Reid
Games watched: LSU (2020), Florida (2020), North Carolina (2020)
Best Game Studied: Florida (2020)
Worst Game Studied: LSU (2020)
Accuracy: Mond is a quick-rhythm passer that has experienced success in the short to intermediate areas. Texas A&M incorporates lots of levels concepts that involve reads/options on each section of the field. Having a well-developed understanding of where to go with the ball and awareness of the scheme, Mond operates well when on schedule. Mond’s biggest issues are with ball placement, as he struggles to consistently place balls within the strike zone. Unpredictable placement despite targets being open leads to extra demands from wideouts when attempting catches. 
Decision Making: Mond’s decision making has improved every season as he continues to gain more reps within the scheme. His understanding of concepts has increased and the difficulties associated with them have decreased as he’s learned to continue to take the early options on his progressions based on defensive structures. Waiting for targets to come open during the latter parts of progressions when earlier options were open was apparent during earlier stages of his career. As he’s learned more and gained more experience, he’s learned to repeatedly hit those earlier options until they were taken away.
Poise: His mannerisms remain even keel and he’s a prospect that doesn’t show much emotion. Mond’s calmness in the pocket has an on/off switch, but you never know which setting it will be on during a specific game. He has throws where he stands tall in the pocket and is able to deliver under pressure while he has other moments that will leave you scratching your head and unsure of exactly what he saw.
Progressions: In a heavy progression-based offense, Mond has shown consistency with having the ability to see, eliminate, and throw to open targets while reading concepts with multiple options. The Aggies offense involved both full-field and half-field reads, which he’s displayed success with. 
Release: Mond has unconventional pre-release posture as he has a high elbow combined with a high front arm, but it leads to a clean over the top release. The altered upper half doesn’t affect his timing or ability to remain in rhythm with quick throws in either direction.    
Pocket Manipulation: When searching for options down the field and pressure is bearing down on him, Mond is able to keep his eyes down the field. Hardly ever glancing down at the pressure, he also has the mobility to take advantage of lanes in front of him by stepping up and rushing through those vacated spots. 
Arm Strength: While Mond has plenty of arm strength to throw the ball accurately in the short to intermediate areas, his throws lose some velocity behind them when attacking the deeper portions. Far hash throws and out-breaking ones have proved to be routine, but his accuracy on the deep options on leveled concepts have been inconsistent.
Mobility: Mond has enough athleticism in order to escape inside or outside of the pocket in order to take advantage of the yards that are offered to him. Although he can be involved in designed QB runs, he doesn’t have the body structure or mass in order to be considered a dangerous threat. Also not much of an extra opportunity rusher, he will only get the yards that are visible. 
Leadership: He's a highly respected thrower who’s shattered many records within the program. Head coach Jimbo Fisher has often spoken glowingly about Mond’s maturation, leadership, and magnetic personality throughout the program. More of a lead by example type of player, Mond prefers his play doing most of the leading for him.
Mechanics: Mond possesses a thin frame but clean lower half and platform that allows him to step into throws from a multitude of surfaces. Capable of throwing off of various platforms and arm angles, he doesn’t make a living doing so. Mond has a quiet lower body that carries over into his throws that are under 15 yards.
Prospect Comparison: Brett Hundley (2015 NFL Draft, Green Bay Packers)
SCOUT GRADESTDN Consensus: 75.50/100
Joe Marino: 76.50/100
Kyle Crabbs: 77.50/100
Jordan Reid: 77.00/100
Drae Harris: 71.00/100

This is still the same GM who couldn't pick a great O-lineman or quarterback in the past. And he just picked one of each!
I like the picks but I hope the QB pick wasn't a wasted pick. They could have taken a potential starter, this year, in this slot.

we need a developmental WB that could come in and start in case of injury.  A backup was absolutely a need in this draft.

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
Kellen effing Mond. What a steal for the
@Vikings. Blow that horn @ProFootballTalk! Baoooooooo
Quote Tweet
[Image: IjZKs3rb_normal.jpg]
Chris Simms
@CSimmsQB
· 8h
Kellen Mond @TheKellenMond is my #4 QB in this class. He's a machine throwing the ball, as pure and consistent a thrower as anyone in this class. Explosive arm. He's a Top 20 pick who someone is going to get in Day 2.
I'll say this about Simms. He comes off as an idiot, but he nailed the QB picks in 17/18 (had Jackson/Allen tops that year; Mahomes as tops his year). I wanted this kid as a developmental prospect, now it'll be interesting to see his career path.

I don't know if I necessarily would say that Mond was drafted to be the QB of the future. Its possible he becomes that but I think the Vikings FO knew that they wouldn't survive Kirk going down (knock on wood). Mond is significantly better than anything else they had on the roster and they effectively got him for free by trading down with the Jets. You can't blame them for throwing a dart, he has a chance. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
I don't know if I necessarily would say that Mond was drafted to be the QB of the future. Its possible he becomes that but I think the Vikings FO knew that they wouldn't survive Kirk going down (knock on wood). Mond is significantly better than anything else they had on the roster and they effectively got him for free by trading down with the Jets. You can't blame them for throwing a dart, he has a chance. 
For sure. Not many 3rd round QBs are presumed starters. But he’s got upside which is something our backup QBs haven’t had since I honestly don’t know when. This is a refreshing development. 

I don't think anyone expects him to be the QB of the future. I sure don't. Vikings got their backup QB. And it's a QB with some actual upside. Maybe they'll get lucky. 

Honestly, I wouldn't have drafted a QB, but since I thought the Vikings might, this is the one I wanted. All QBs are darts, especially QBs taken after the first round. Mond, in my opinion, was the best dart after the 1st round. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@Wetlander said:
All I have to say is...

BOOM
We both got what we wanted, right Wet? The LT to prove that Cousins can be elite with better protection...and the backup QB just in case we're wrong. 
Yes, it worked out.  Honestly, I'm really digging our draft through the first two days.  Our offensive line should be set for the foreseeable future, we got a high upside QB to develop (and fits with Kirk's contract timeline), and two good defensive prospects at positions of need.

Add a WR tomorrow and I'll be happy.  Nice mix of immediate contributors and upside for the future.  No complaints from me and we still have what... a half dozen picks tomorrow?

No way Mond was taken to be insurance for Cousins going down, if they were concerned about that they could have gotten a guy like Fitz or even made a move for Teddy.  A 3rd round QB is not coming off the bench this year and helping you win games.  Looks like he has all the tools to be a legit starter and sitting behind Kirk for a year or two is ideal for his development.  Thought it was an outstanding pick and excited to see him in pre season.    

A big problem that the Vikings have had at QB is that they really haven't thrown many darts at the board. They usually go after established veterans or rookie free agents and honestly, the last true developmental QB they had was Jackson, since Bridgewater was a high ceiling guy who started very early. Mond has good tools and a chance to develop into their QB of the future, which is something that I feel teams should always have, so it's nice to have a passer with some potential for once. And like you said, he's an upgrade over Mannion who gives them a chance to win games if Cousins gets hurt.