Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
MOND!!
Wow

itll fit on a jersey. Wonder if he gets a shot in a year or two?

8. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M (6-foot-2 ½, 208, 4.62 40 time, Round 4): Won the job as a true freshman in 2017 and held it all four years.
“Before the season I thought he’d be a free agent,” said one scout. “Now I’ve got him in the fifth or sixth (round). He’s got a strong arm. He’s a good straight-line athlete but he doesn’t adjust well to movement. He’s a little mechanical. He’ll be a competitive backup for someone.”
Showed major improvement as a senior with a passer rating of 104 compared to 71 in 2017, 91.3 in ’18 and 89.2 in ’19. His career mark was 90. “He’s a paint-by-numbers guy,” a second scout said. “He can’t improvise.”
Hands were 9 3/8. “He’s jumpy at everything he does,” a third scout said. “No poise. He’s stiff with his ball carriage and delivery. He can run in a straight line but he’s not fluid and he gets scared when people tackle him.” From San Antonio.

Heck Yeah that is who I wanted and the Texans took Mills right after us! 

Wildly inconsistent. Not a fan at all of the pick. But, I've been wrong before. Hope it works out. 

Wont see the field. Too inconsistent

Texas A&M’s most prolific passer is off to the NFL, where his big arm and big potential will entice a new set of fans to follow along closely as he works to improve his decision-making and consistency. Kellen Mond, the dual-threat record-setting quarterback for the Aggies, was taken by the Minnesota Vikings with the 66th pick of the 2021 NFL Draft.
Mond leaves College Station in possession of the school records for career passing touchdowns (71), passing yards (9,661), completions (801), attempts (1,358) and total offense (11,269), and he tied former Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel with 93 touchdowns responsible for, another program record. He also holds the school record with 44 career starts, a testament to his durability over the course of a career in which the Aggies were built up into College Football Playoff hopefuls around him.
Texas A&M head coach Jimbo Fisher told The Athletic that Mond is the type of player who is constantly figuring out how to improve and someone who “gets absorbed by the game.” His work ethic made him a natural leader and someone Fisher enjoyed coaching. An obvious area of concern as he reaches the pros will be forcing throws that don’t need to be made; Mond threw 27 interceptions over four seasons at Texas A&M, with 16 of those picks coming in road games. Mond did show clear improvement in terms of accuracy during his senior season, posting his highest completion percentage (63.3 percent) and his best touchdown-to-interception ratio (19-3) of any of his college seasons. Now NFL defenses will have a say in exactly where he can take that improvement from here.
Mond initially committed to play for Kevin Sumlin and made his first career start during Sumlin’s final season at A&M, but his career really took off under Fisher, who has repeatedly highlighted the importance of Mond to his overall program build. This was especially apparent during the 2020 season, as Texas A&M needed to take a significant step forward — and Mond stepped up to lead that charge.
Dane Brugler on Kellen Mond (No. 8 QB in The Beast)Mond has impressive highlights with his ability to rip off beautiful throws downfield or extend plays with his legs. However, his lowlights are red flags,
staying laser-locked on his targets and struggling to pick up pressures.
Top college highlightAhead of last fall’s game against Florida, the Aggies hadn’t yet won a legitimate “big game” in Jimbo Fisher’s tenure, and Mond had turned in some of his most inconsistent and frustrating performances in matchups with top-tier SEC opponents and in a home-and-home series against Clemson. Texas A&M was also fresh off a 28-point loss to Alabama.
Mond went out and threw for 338 yards and three touchdowns in a 41-38 win over then-No. 4 Florida. Fisher points specifically to a third-down throw during the Aggies’ first drive. Florida had opened the game with a touchdown, and Texas A&M faced third-and-8 from its own 27-yard line.
“Florida, everybody had them as the greatest thing in the world,” Fisher said. “They come down the field and boom, right out of the gate. We knew we had to match. … I thought it was the biggest throw of our year. Third-and-8, first possession, it was an option route for the tight end; we didn’t have great protection on the play. A guy hit him right in his face as he threw it. He made the throw (well) and on time, and the next play he hits a 50-yard bomb. We went and scored and tied it up. He knew that was a big game, that it was pivotal for our season. He knew we were a better team than we had played the first two football games. He took it upon himself. We weren’t going to lose.
“He took his game to another level in the biggest moment of the biggest game of the year. We took off as a football team and never looked back. We never lost again.”
Texas A&M had eight drives finish with points, including the game-winning field goal as time expired.

Most underrated QB in the draft. 

https://247sports.com/college/texas-am/A...161902517/
Earlier this week, NBC Sports analyst Chris Simms caused a bit of a stir on social media when he posted his top six quarterback prospects for the the 2021 NFL Draft. Though most expect Clemson's Trevor Lawrence to go No. 1 overall, the former NFL quarterback had him second behind Zach Wilson of BYU. Right now, it looks like those could be the first two players off the board on draft day and Simms had them in a different order than most others.
However, the most talked-about rankings from the former Texas Longhorns quarterback was where he placed Kellen Mond from Texas A&M. After Alabama's Mac Jones at No. 3, Simms had Mond listed as the fourth-best quarterback prospect in the draft. That was surprisingly one spot ahead of Ohio State's Justin Fields, who is projected by almost everybody to be a top-5 overall pick. Simms had Fields at No. 5 and North Dakota State's Trey Lance at No. 6. All but Mond in that group are expected to come off the board in the first round while the Aggie is projected by most as a mid-round selection.
When Simms first posted his list, he said that he would explain it in detail on his podcast. He has now done just that. With Mond, who owns just about every Texas A&M career record for quarterbacks, he says his father, former NFL quarterback Phil Simms, kept raving about the Aggie senior this past season. The younger Simms then recently broke down film of all the top passers and came away impressed as well.
"First, from a base level, they lost one game in the SEC," Simms said on the podcast. [Mond] threw 19 touchdowns and three interceptions. First off, that merits a little more talk and hype."
However, more than just helping A&M to a No. 4 final ranking, it was Mond's arm that impressed Simms the most.
"His throwing is special...I think, as pure throwers right now, when you just talk to me about, 'Man, they can stripe it and throw perfect strikes every time,' (Zach) Wilson, Mac Jones and Kellen Mond to me are more machines than Trevor Lawrence is at this point. Mond has a really quick release," Simms said.

"First off, every throw he makes is bullseye. It's a rocket arm. He doesn't need space in the pocket. He can throw with pressure in the pocket. He never really misses a throw in general, altogether."
Simms also praised Mond's ability to read the defense and check down to his second and third options on plays.
"He's a great decision-maker," Simms said. "He can go one to two to three (on his reads) seamlessly. He makes very little mistakes. When people aren't open, he doesn't compound those mistakes or do anything like that."

Really like the Mond pick.  Like him much better then Mills or any remaining QB

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
8. Kellen Mond, Texas A&M (6-foot-2 ½, 208, 4.62 40 time, Round 4): Won the job as a true freshman in 2017 and held it all four years.
“Before the season I thought he’d be a free agent,” said one scout. “Now I’ve got him in the fifth or sixth (round). He’s got a strong arm. He’s a good straight-line athlete but he doesn’t adjust well to movement. He’s a little mechanical. He’ll be a competitive backup for someone.”
Showed major improvement as a senior with a passer rating of 104 compared to 71 in 2017, 91.3 in ’18 and 89.2 in ’19. His career mark was 90. “He’s a paint-by-numbers guy,” a second scout said. “He can’t improvise.”
Hands were 9 3/8. “He’s jumpy at everything he does,” a third scout said. “No poise. He’s stiff with his ball carriage and delivery. He can run in a straight line but he’s not fluid and he gets scared when people tackle him.” From San Antonio.
So it sounds like they wanted another robotic QB because they’ve had so much success under Cousins?!

I’ll be the first to admit I know nothing about him, but that doesn’t sound like someone you would spend a high 3rd round pick on.  Sounds more like a late rounder or UDFA to me...

Edit: After researching him more and watching his highlights, I had the completely wrong picture in my head of what type of QB he is.  Here’s hoping he can continue to develop and push Kirk for the starting role in year 2 (best case scenario IMO).  Regardless, at least the Vikings are finally putting a QB with some potential behind Cousins.